Derek Piggott, legendary aviator

Old January 15th 16, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Derek Piggott, legendary aviator

Born To Fly. A film about an aviator's memory loss and the onset of dementia.

Not a happy topic but the subject of the interview is Derek Piggott, the legendary British glider instructor (a mentor of mine through his many books) and movie pilot (including "Those Magnificient Men and Their Flying Machines", "The Blue Max.")

Derek is now 93. He still flies gliders with a "co-pilot" at Lasham field southwest of London.
Maria in the film has been his companion for many years His dear friend and a lovely lady, she would escort him to the USA to attend our Soaring Society of America Conventions.

I first met Derek Piggott at Lasham one evening after a day of flying. He was sitting on the steps outside the airfield pub with a pint of beer in hand and very animated, telling stories of his aviation movie career to the attentive audience seated below him. I was in awe and when introduced to Mr. Piggott (as I called him but I was quickly admonished to please address him as "Derek") I was somewhat tongue-tied when thanking him for the mentoring he has given so many pilots around the world. Later in the USA I enjoyed talking with him (no, wisely listening to him and his stories) over dinners at the SSA Conventions. Still in awe but at this point I was able to carry on an intelligent conversation!

If you purchase any Derek Piggott books, start with the more recent "Gliding Safety." He has a practical writing style, not overly technical and easy to read.
It has a wonderful chapter of advice for flight instructors that is essential reading.

Derek promised to come fly with me at Marfa "someday" . . . he has not appeared yet . . . it's a long trip.

Burt Compton

Here is the link to the "Memory Team" film:
http://youtu.be/8-DM7-_Iy38

Watch it (pardon the tear in my eye) and then search on www.youtube.com for several older films about Derek's flying career.

Thanks to Gary Evans of Texas for sending this link.
Old January 15th 16, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 1/15/2016 7:49 AM, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
[...]

Wow - I know guys aren't supposed to say things like this, but what a
wonderful, sweet, concept! And thanks for posting the link Burt. Thanks also
to The Community Channel, The Memory Team and everyone associated with the
idea, from inspiration through implementation.

When I discovered soaring, I quickly also discovered the
previously-unknown-to-me idea wasn't unknown in public libraries, even the one
in the little mountain burg in which I then lived. The second gliding book I
borrowed from it was by - they then having only one by a U.S. author - some
Brit named Derek Piggott. Since then, every book of Derek's I've read has been
a learning and time treat for me. Not interested in reading "old British
glider training manuals" now that you're a licensed soaring pro? Then by all
means get yourself a(n all too brief) copy of Derek's memoir "Delta Papa - A
Life of Flying".

Everything I've come across by and about the man has only heightened my early
belief that he is someone it would be a real privilege to get to meet and come
to know personally. "Just another one" of soaring's very many "good people."

Bob W.
Old January 15th 16, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Derek Has been one of the most significant influences on my gliding knowledge and skills, as well as the rest of the soaring community.

When we started Ridge Soaring Gliderport, so many years ago, I invited him to come to this country and give a presentation to the SSA convention near Washington DC.

He made other trips to the USA, as did I to England to join him at the BGA annual meeting.

I treasure our friendship and times together and like all of you, wish him the best.

Tom Knauff
Old January 16th 16, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

My favorite (and only) Derek Piggott story comes from when the Albuquerque Soaring Club hosted the 2000 SSA Convention. Derek was scheduled to give a talk, but inquired of the ASC Convention Committee as to whether we might be able to provide a little money to help defray his expenses. This was sort of unusual, as most speakers pay their own way, but were given a free hotel room and a bits of other amenities (meals etc.)

One Committee member sort of incredulously inquired, "What, this guy doesn't have enough money to show up on his own dime?"

I observed, "His presentation is titled, 'Fifty Years of Gliding Instruction.' I bet he is BROKE!"

The Committee unanimously voted several hundred bucks for Derek's appearance.

I told him the story when he arrived, and he laughed like hell.