Winter 5-Way Tubing Quick Connector Reviews

Old January 17th 16, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Grillo[_2_]

Default Winter 5-Way Tubing Quick Connector Reviews

I'm putting all new instruments in my LAK and am thinking about using Winters 5-way tubing quick connector. Wondering what the thoughts are on this connector. If you have this device, are you experiencing any leaks or other problems associated with it? Pro's Cons?

Thanks for your advice.
Don
F2

Old January 17th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 10:01:04 AM UTC-5, Don Grillo wrote:
I'm putting all new instruments in my LAK and am thinking about using Winters 5-way tubing quick connector. Wondering what the thoughts are on this connector. If you have this device, are you experiencing any leaks or other problems associated with it? Pro's Cons?

Thanks for your advice.
Don
F2

The convenience is not worth the leaks that result from my experience. I have seen undisturbed connector mysteriously leak. I can only surmise it is temperature related. If you plan on removing your panel make sure you sue soft tubing that will reseal well and leave some length for minor trimming to present a new sealing point now and then.
FWIW
UH
Old January 17th 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 10:01:04 AM UTC-5, Don Grillo wrote:
I'm putting all new instruments in my LAK and am thinking about using Winters 5-way tubing quick connector. Wondering what the thoughts are on this connector. If you have this device, are you experiencing any leaks or other problems associated with it? Pro's Cons?

Thanks for your advice.
Don
F2

I've used them in glider since 1995 without a problem. Be careful that the set screw doesn't strip the plastic thread (the retaining screw). I remove my SZD-55 upper panel for each winter and occasional instrument changes without a problem. Very convenient. Agree with UH that you will have to trim once in a while for a good seal, and if you have a leak, it's the first place I'd look. I liked the 4-way Polish tubing connector (which screws together for a better seal) more but I needed 5-way (the other input of the electronic stall warning). Assuming a removable panel, I'd get the Winter again.

Old January 18th 16, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have seen many leak over the years. Once they do, it is usually in flight and detection and trouble shooting is hard. Just get 4 or more straight connectors, the chrome plated brass ones with bulbs, not barbs, and trim a little off each each tube when you reconnect.

Old January 18th 16, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've used it in my Ventus 2b for 15 years and have not had a problem.
Old January 18th 16, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Grillo[_2_]

Thanks for the replies. I will take everything posted into consideration.

New Instr. (Lxnav 9050 with 57mm V8, 57mm Sage Vario, 57mm Winter AIS and ALT, powerflarm, remote stick, Air Avionics combo radio/transponder when it comes available)

Old January 18th 16, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Remember to tee the TE line as far aft as you can, or the mechanical (Sage) and electronic varios can 'cross-talk' - assuming you plan to use TE on the 9050. Check the "mechanical vario" link at http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/ .

Old January 18th 16, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I used the 4-way connectors in the past, the ones that are threaded. Probably Winter but not sure. Convenient but leaks can occur. When reconnecting, push the two halves together, then tighten the threaded knob. Then push the halves together again and retighten. Repeat. If you don't do this a few times to compress the little sealing rings, you can get a leak. Worst is a cross leak that feeds pitot or TE into another line.

Best is to run a leak check after you reconnect. But that defeats the whole point of the convenience. So I haven't used them in a long time, since we had a Libelle where you had to remove the panel to work on it.

Chip Bearden

Puchacz reviews cuflyer Soaring 21 October 11th 12 09:26 AM
Winter quick disconnect color code Warren Soaring 7 June 7th 10 01:24 AM
FBO Reviews [email protected] Piloting 2 December 19th 05 03:50 PM
406 Beacon Reviews Helen Woods Piloting 4 December 14th 04 11:18 PM
Aircraft reviews Javier Henderson Piloting 2 June 14th 04 08:46 PM