yeehaa

Old January 22nd 09, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI - Powered[_2_]

Default yeehaa

Hans Holbein added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Had to Google KIAS, Knots Indicated Air Speed. I would say,
yes, nautical miles or knots would be the unit for this. Since
I am not a pilot nor do I play simulation games, I don't know
if the one you refer to differentiates between ground speed and
indicated air speed but whether it is in statute miles/hour or
nautical miles/hour or knots I don't know.

Im no pilot neither.

Im still learning all the things needed to go online for combat
with other weirdos. ;-)

The usual airspeed indicator is a tube on some undisturbed place
at the aircraft, the pitot-tube.

Those things have been around since people first wanted to know how
fast they were flying!

With lesser air pressure at increasing height you need more
speed to induce the pressure in this tube to indacate the
airspeed.

Yeah, has some things to do with relative air pressure across the
wing and at the particular place the pitot tube breaks the airflow.
Can't say I'm much of an aerodynamicist so I don't really
understand this stuff very well past playing with them with a small
wind tunnel in my undergraduate Engineering Fluid Dynamics class.

So indacated airspeed IAS differs from true airspeed
TAS which means the speed realtively to the surface.
With no wind influence, as I recall the fomula is
TAS=IASx(1+ Heightx0,02/300)
But I might have forgotten something.
Its ~8% pus in 3000ft and ~44% in 20000ft
If I'm correct, in 20000ft you fly 540knots while your indicator
shows only 375knots.

I was thinking of something else, rather than the math used to
adjust real vs indicated air speed. I was thinking about the often
BIG difference between air speed and ground speed where either a
head wind or tail wind can cause the air speed indicator to be way
off compared to actual distance over the ground.

I can't fault your math as I've never delved into this stuff, nor
the changes that occur the closer the plane gets to Mach 1 and many
other factors affecting even the most basic flight characteristics.

Im not very comfortable with the anglo-saxon systems, but over a
long term I think the metric system will do the race.
Resistance is futile!
SCNR

You know, over here in The Colonies ALL of our measures are Metric
except that by law, things which are sold to consumers must also
carry a traditional or English conversion. This makes some very
strange numbers being printed on bottles of soda pop! And, I have
the same problem with Metric that you do with English/traditional
units. I can easily do the conversions, sometimes in my head with a
little effort, but I have never been able to think in metric - I
always have to do a conversion. Even my years of science in High
School and 4 years in Engingeering School weren't enough.

I doubt that the US will EVER really convert to Metric. Just too
much inertia from people resistant to change, thus there's no
political capital to utilize and much political danger so no pol
will risk a major proposal for change. So, we have dual units even
on things like our car speedometers, and of course, I have to have
two sets of wrenches in my tool box!

Have a pleasant day and enjoy your flight simulator!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Government is NOT the solution to our problems, it IS our
problem!" - Ronald Reagan
Old January 22nd 09, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Hans,

Just one small correction to your post. TAS is the actual speed you are
traveling through the air. Ground Speed (GS) is the speed you are relative
to the surface. Wind is what make TAS and GS different.

Respectfully,

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old January 22nd 09, 03:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI - Powered[_2_]

Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...

In point of fact,
The engine of that bike is not old, its an Australian made 7
cylinder, 110HP Rotec R2800 Radial.
Heres a link to the engine:
http://www.rotecradialengines.com/0RotecR2800/R2800.htm
Check he
http://www.rotecradialengines.com/0R...R2800.htm#bike for
some vids of the bike running.

Didn't know there were such things being built today, I thought it
was maybe a 1930s engine or something like that. What are these
things used for, aerobatic aircraft and the like? I don't follow the
aircraft industry at all but I can't remember ever seeing a modern
general aircraft plane with a radial engine these days.

Old January 22nd 09, 06:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI - Powered[_2_]

Wayne Paul added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Hans,

Just one small correction to your post. TAS is the actual speed
you are traveling through the air. Ground Speed (GS) is the
speed you are relative to the surface. Wind is what make TAS
and GS different.

I knew about the obvious changes that head or tail winds make on
air speed vs. ground speed but never heard of the math equations
that Hans cited to describe indicated air speed. Guess it's true
that one learns new things every day!

Im still learning all the things needed to go online for combat
with other weirdos. ;-)

The usual airspeed indicator is a tube on some undisturbed
place at the aircraft, the pitot-tube.
With lesser air pressure at increasing height you need more
speed to induce the pressure in this tube to indacate the
airspeed. So indacated airspeed IAS differs from true airspeed
TAS which means the speed realtively to the surface.
With no wind influence, as I recall the fomula is
TAS=IASx(1+ Heightx0,02/300)
But I might have forgotten something.
Its ~8% pus in 3000ft and ~44% in 20000ft
If I'm correct, in 20000ft you fly 540knots while your
indicator shows only 375knots.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"The government that governs least, governs best" - Thomas
Jefferson
Old January 23rd 09, 03:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Hans Holbein

Wayne Paul schrieb:
Hans,

Just one small correction to your post. TAS is the actual speed you are
traveling through the air. Ground Speed (GS) is the speed you are relative
to the surface. Wind is what make TAS and GS different.

Respectfully,

Thank you.
The simulator still cant simulate wind influences, I hope it will come
with the next patch or with he "Storm of War" Simulation.