Opinions on a M20J

Old September 7th 04, 11:03 PM
PInc972390

One was
to tell if you have a fast straight wing is to stall the plane with an
experience CFI. Some Mooneys will roll inverted. These are the slower
ones. Some will stall straight ahead. These are the faster ones. Make
sure you try it with and w/o flaps. Under no situation should you ev

You left out to never look at the tail of a Mooney when you stall it. Know what
I mean?????
Old September 8th 04, 06:50 AM
Julian Scarfe

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...

Its not unusual for one Mooney to be 10 knots
different than the one that came out of the factory after it. One was
to tell if you have a fast straight wing is to stall the plane with an
experience CFI. Some Mooneys will roll inverted. These are the slower
ones. Some will stall straight ahead. These are the faster ones.

Any reason why he shouldn't just measure the cruise speed? It sounds more
omnfortable and more reliable?

Julian

Old September 8th 04, 09:24 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message ...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...

Its not unusual for one Mooney to be 10 knots
different than the one that came out of the factory after it. One was
to tell if you have a fast straight wing is to stall the plane with an
experience CFI. Some Mooneys will roll inverted. These are the slower
ones. Some will stall straight ahead. These are the faster ones.

Any reason why he shouldn't just measure the cruise speed? It sounds more
omnfortable and more reliable?

You would have to fly a lot of Mooneys to notice the difference.

-Robert
Old September 8th 04, 10:44 PM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Any reason why he shouldn't just measure the cruise speed? It sounds

more
omnfortable and more reliable?

You would have to fly a lot of Mooneys to notice the difference.

Huh? You would have to fly a lot of Mooneys to notice a 10 knot difference?

Why is that?

Old September 9th 04, 04:56 AM
J. Severyn

"Ken Reed" wrote in message
k.net...
I flew this yesterday and it was nice (but what the hell do I know) He
is asking 105k but Vref says it is worth $113k. That seemed high but
again what do I know. Any Mooney owners out there want to give an
opinion on the M20J?

You've looked at two Mooneys now. If you are serious about getting one,
you really must join the Mooney list. You'll get more good information
there than anywhere else:

http://www.aviating.com/mooney/subscribe.html

At minimum, read Bob Kromer's flight test reports on the various Mooney
models:

http://www.mooneypilots.com/flight_test_reports.html
snip
---
Ken Reed
http://www.dentalzzz.com

You folk are a wealth of information on Mooneys. I'm overwhelmed. I took
the advice above and subscribed to the 3 Mooney lists (Mooney, Mooney-tech
and MooneyWC) but I cannot keep up with all the email. (although I'm still
interested in trading in my Cessna for a Mooney in the near future!!!)

Is the server at www.aviating.com off the air....because I cannot call up
the pages to "unsubscribe"?

Thanks,
J. Severyn

Old September 9th 04, 01:45 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Any reason why he shouldn't just measure the cruise speed? It sounds

more
omnfortable and more reliable?

You would have to fly a lot of Mooneys to notice the difference.

Huh? You would have to fly a lot of Mooneys to notice a 10 knot difference?

Why is that?

Because 10 knots is the extream. Smaller differences would be harder
to tell. Its just easier to go up and stall it. You wouldn't want to
own a plane that you never stalled anyway.
Old September 9th 04, 06:48 PM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Because 10 knots is the extream. Smaller differences would be harder
to tell. Its just easier to go up and stall it. You wouldn't want to
own a plane that you never stalled anyway.

You claimed that "the extream [sic]" is "not unusual". Seems like the "not
unusual" case of a 10 knot difference would be easy to notice.

As for smaller differences, if you can't tell the difference, then why would
you care? I know for my own flights, a 2-3 knot difference in speed is
irrelevant. Winds aloft always is a much more significant factor.

IMHO, it might not be a bad idea to stall a prospective purchase anyway,
just to see what the airplane's "manners" are. But I fail to see how
stalling the airplane is a superior method to checking cruise speed than
simply checking the cruise speed directly.

Pete

Old September 9th 04, 10:53 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...

IMHO, it might not be a bad idea to stall a prospective purchase anyway,
just to see what the airplane's "manners" are. But I fail to see how
stalling the airplane is a superior method to checking cruise speed than
simply checking the cruise speed directly.

Its faster. I think your making too much of this. Mooney pilots always
try to compare how fast their Mooney is. If you want a fast one (and
most Mooney pilots do, otherwise they'd buy an Arrow) you want to
determine how fast your is. Running a 4 course range with a GPS takes
a good 15 minutes. Stalling take about 2 minutes.

-Robert
Old September 10th 04, 12:03 AM
Peter Duniho

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Its faster.

It is? Seems to me that, in not much more time than it takes to climb to an
appropriate altitude, do the proper clearing turns, configure for slow
flight and stall the airplane, you could just as easily have flown a
standard square course, using a GPS to monitor your progress, and calculated
the exact cruising speed.

I think your making too much of this.

If I am, then you started it.

Mooney pilots always
try to compare how fast their Mooney is.

If they are, they are being silly. After all, it's not like most Mooneys
are the fastest thing around...they just happen to go fast on less power.

But if they insist on being silly, I can't imagine that they'd use stall
characteristics as a way of comparing how fast their Mooney is to another.

I can just see the conversation now:
"How fast is your Mooney?"
"Well, I get a roll rate of 1 degree per second during the stall"
"Oh really? I only get a roll rate of half a degree per second during the
stall"
"Damn...your Mooney IS faster than mine".

If you want a fast one (and
most Mooney pilots do, otherwise they'd buy an Arrow) you want to
determine how fast your is.

Okay. That seems obviously true.

Running a 4 course range with a GPS takes
a good 15 minutes. Stalling take about 2 minutes.

15 minutes? Uh, right. And only 2 minutes for the stall? Uh, right
(again). But even if that were so, you're talking a time investment of only
13 minutes more, and at the end, you have an actual number that is the
actual speed of the airplane, rather than some vague information about stall
behavior.

Sorry Robert, I'm just not buying it. I know, you'll say "well, I don't
care if you buy it", and that's fine too. And I think it's wise to stall
the airport before buying it, just because that could turn up some other
less desirable issues with the plane. But to determine cruise speed by
stalling it? That just seems silly to me.

Pete

Old September 10th 04, 11:13 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
And I think it's wise to stall
the airport before buying it, just because that could turn up some other
less desirable issues with the plane. But to determine cruise speed by
stalling it? That just seems silly to me.

It seems to me that what you're trying to do is to determine if
the plane is rigged correctly. The question is "is it on the good
side or the bad side of the equation?". The consequences of it
being on the bad side are poor stall characteristics and lower
speed/less efficiency. So rather than just looking for one that
goes faster, you're looking for "a good one".

Paul