US Dollar sinks to new low against Euro

Old November 14th 04, 10:26 PM
Eric Greenwell

Kirk Stant wrote:

The US on the other hand, seems (IMHO) to have a substantial anti-XC /
racing majority - which would explain the "success" (?) of the
Sparrowhawk and PW-5 over here.

(Sound of loud buzzer for wrong answer) The people buying and flying the
SparrowHawk are most definitely cross-country pilots! You don't buy a
glider like that to float around the airport. It'd be a heck of fun ship
for that purpose, but the people that want to do that seem to buy
cheaper gliders or use the club ships.

Sorry, Eric, I disagree. The US soaring scene is unfortunately biased
by the prevalence of commerial operations - "show up, fly a 1-26 for
an hour, then go home and pull out the honey-do list".

This might be true, but is irrelevant when discussing SparrowHawk owners.

XC is the most fun (to me and my friends, at least), when done in
company with friends, in similar performing ships. With most of the
established 15m and Standard ships, that works well. Somehow, I don't
see a Sparrowhawk keeping up with a V2, ASW-27, or LS8. And if you go
for the Sparrowhawk option, you are opting out of most racing -
unless you go for sports class.

I made no mention of racing or keeping up with an LS8. I was indicating
the people buying the SparrowHawk are very much interested in
cross-country flying. I don't think they are "anti-racing", just not
especially interested in it. Racing and keeping up with an LS8 are YOUR
priorities, not theirs.

I've seen several people out here buy PW-5s (all enthusiastic), do a
little XC, then give it up and sell them because everybody else leaves
them behind.

And I've seen people get that high performance ship, scare themselves
with a high speed landing in a field, and go back to floating around the
airport in it. The glider and the pilot need to be matched to the
situation; it's not one size fits all, for sure.

I see the Sparrowhawk as a typical US "we do it different here"
approach.

Are you saying more choices are problem? I don't think so. We already
have a lot of companies "doing it the same". The people I've seen buying
the SparrowHawk are not dewy-eyed newcomers to soaring, but serious
pilots looking for something different.

I'm sure it's a nice little glider, but not sure where it
fits in the big picture.

You have a lot company, as there are lots of pilots can't see past their
habits and preferences to that big picture.

I know I have no desire to trade my ship for
it - it's easy to get addicted to high performance!

And I wouldn't have your glider - no motor - it's easy to get addicted
to flying when you want to, where you want to, the whole convenience and
independence bit! I can see why you like it, however.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 15th 04, 12:03 AM
Ray Lovinggood

One reason I prefer to own outright: The possible
partners in a glider ownership are my friends with
whom I want to fly. How do you reconcile this?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS1-d, 'W8'

At 16:54 14 November 2004, Robertmudd1u wrote:
But reading RAS I got the impression that partnerships
are not common
in the US (hence the interest of many US pilots in
cheap - or shall I
say low-budget? - gliders). Is my impression correct?
Bye
Andreas

Andreas,
From my experience it think that is correct. Many is
the time I have talked
with pilots who wants to own a glider but can't afford
it. I mention a
partnership and they say ' Oh I could never be in a
partnership'

I am always tempted to ask then just what personality
defect they have that
will not allow them to get along with someone else
and share the fun and cost
of a flying machine.

Well thought out partnerships are a great way to lower
your flying costs and
have a glider of your choice to fly.

Robert Mudd

Old November 15th 04, 01:04 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Ray Lovinggood wrote:

One reason I prefer to own outright: The possible
partners in a glider ownership are my friends with
whom I want to fly. How do you reconcile this?

More than one seat?

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old November 15th 04, 09:44 AM
goneill

In reality partnerships work well ,I have been in a number of
syndicates and I averaged over 200 hrs a year.
The rules we used were simple, each partner had their own day "but"
if the person was not there the other/s rigged at 10:30-11:00am
if more than one of the partners was present the one with the longest
time since flown was 1st ,if the partner still had not shown up by
12:00 take the glider to the flight line and put it on the launch list.
12:30 was deadline time ,if the correct day partner still had not shown
you launched.If the correct partner arrived late he got the base radio
to put out a call and you came back to give him his turn.
Even 3 man syndicates really had few time clashes because family or
business reasons always kept interfering so with a little good will
the partnership florishes.
The comment about wanting to go with your friends is deceptive because
a performance glider just begs to be taken x/c and you find your circle of
friends just gets bigger as more of the various partnership members go
out with you.
There is one partnership variation done at a field south of me.
5 partners own 3 gliders between them.
The comments made are that virtually never does one partner come to
the airfield and not get at least one of the gliders, I think they had
ASW27 a Discus and an ASW20
gary

"Ray Lovinggood" wrote in message
One reason I prefer to own outright: The possible
partners in a glider ownership are my friends with
whom I want to fly. How do you reconcile this?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS1-d, 'W8'

At 16:54 14 November 2004, Robertmudd1u wrote:
But reading RAS I got the impression that partnerships
are not common
in the US (hence the interest of many US pilots in
cheap - or shall I
say low-budget? - gliders). Is my impression correct?
Bye
Andreas

Andreas,
From my experience it think that is correct. Many is

Old November 15th 04, 04:16 PM
F.L. Whiteley

I've also had partnerships that agreed we should not let lack of crew
prevent us from going cross country on a good day, but call and a retrieve
would be made if we got stuck. Reciprocity is the key. Never had a formal
agreement and only a minor hiccup or two. Never a problem. Not so
structured. If scheduled pilot wasn't there by noon, lost place.
Generally, the other pilot would bring the glider back after a couple of
hours unless working a declared flight.

Frank

"goneill" wrote in message
[...]

From my experience it think that is correct. Many is

Old November 15th 04, 04:33 PM
Tony Verhulst

.....I bought a 5M this last spring for roughly the amount of money that
would get me an LS-4. However, the 5M allowed me to fly twice the hours of
my previous high hour season because I could fly from an airport 10 minutes
from my house as opposed to 2 or 2.5 hours from home. For me, the increased
number of hours greatly makes up for the relatively small performance
reduction because I feel I am making more rapid progression in my quest to
be a soaring pilot.

What's missing here is the camaraderie and sharing your passion with
like-minded individuals at the gliderport. This is important for some,
and less so for others. I admit that I would find a 2.5 hour drive "a
haul".

Tony V. "6N"

Old November 15th 04, 04:43 PM
Tony Verhulst

But reading RAS I got the impression that partnerships are not common
in the US (hence the interest of many US pilots in cheap - or shall I
say low-budget? - gliders). Is my impression correct?

A club member put it to me like this recently: "In this part of the
country (Northeast US) there are only a handful of truly great soaring
days per year. When those days arrive, you don't want to be sitting on
the ground while your partner flies".

Tony V.