SWRFI update... Moving again (argghh!!)...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 12th 04, 06:39 AM
Dave S

Default SWRFI update... Moving again (argghh!!)...

The following is mail that I recieved as part of a mass-mailout from the
organization of SWRFI. Given that this is a public announcement sent to
the persons who have an interest in the organization or have
corresponded with it, I am going to take the liberty of reposting it
here and unedited (well.. other than the topic comments). I will make my
own comments in a reply to this original post.

PASTE

The South West Regional Fly In wants to thank you for your part in the
2004 fly-in and to let you know your SWRFI Board has made two major
changes relating to SWRFI, and we wanted to tell you about them and
enlist your support. First, we have streamlined our organizational
structure, and second, we are moving the Fly-in.

The streamlined structure was approved by representatives of the
constituent chapters, and consists of a Board of Directors and its
Executive Committee (EC). The EC is the 7 elected officers (a Chairman
was added) and three Directors-at-Large. Besides the EC, the Board
additionally has six Directors elected from the general membership.
These two groups manage the business of the Fly-in. Backing the Board
of Directors we will have an Advisory Committee of EAA Members, Fly-in
Chairs, and Chapter representatives that will meet twice a year with the
board for input and ideas.

The second major change was to move the event to Hondo, Texas in 2005.
This decision was reached with a great deal of regret. We consider
New Braunfels, its public servants and its citizens to be among the best
in Texas. It is a great place to visit.

In planning for the 2005 Fly-In, your Board members took a careful look
at our potential for future growth and what that growth would require in
terms of facilities and safety, especially safety. After the last
Fly-In, there were many comments fed back to the Board regarding the
activity on the taxiway at New Braunfels, and the interactions between
vehicles, people and the aircraft on display. In addition, the consensus
was that we needed parallel runways; one for high speed and heavy
traffic and one for lower speed aircraft, as well as a good venue for
ultra light, powered parachutes and rotorcraft.

Further, our experience in 2004 showed us what a disaster a rainstorm
could be. We had to reorient the entire fly-in and we could not have
survived had more aircraft shown up. We know that the New Braunfels has
near and long-term plans to correct drainage, but that alone would not
result in enough dry space during heavy rains.

We have another problem looming on the horizon were we to remain in New
Braunfels. The airport is undertaking a multi-year growth effort to
include lengthening runways, developing an industrial park and bringing
in more industry. All of these endeavors will be great for the city,
but disruptive to a developing fly-in.

In our final analysis, the mixture of vehicles, aircraft and people
dictated by the New Braunfels layout is an accident about to happen, and
an intolerable circumstance. With these considerations in mind, the
Board decided it was time to move on. Our emphasis here was the airport
facility itself and how it could safely meet our needs. This was
foremost in our thinking and overshadowed other concerns.

Hondo is ideal for an event. It not only has parallel runways but also
several others that we can utilize if needed. It has more ramp space
than most airports in Texas. Everyone---people, planes, and vendors
will be on concrete. The city of Hondo is supportive beyond belief. We
really have a recipe for success and future growth. We can envision an
event with 5,000 aircraft conveniently handled and tied down. Our air
show line will offer good viewing and the performers will be flying over
open land. There is plenty of camping and lots of facilities available.

We are somewhat more distant than before and there are fewer motels in
the immediate area. We have solutions to these concerns. Again, first
and foremost, we needed an airport to stage a safe, comfortable fly-in.
Hondo fills that need better than any other facility in central Texas.

So, for 2005 it’s on to Hondo! Your continuing participation is
essential. Please join us in Hondo, May 13-15. 2005, and help make our
fly-in one of the most enjoyed in all of aviation.

Sincerely, Your Board of Directors:

Chairman/President – Stan Shannon Director at Large – Gary Garvens

Director at Large – Wayne Nelson Director at Large – Dick Smith

Director – Harry Cook Director – Bill Gunn

Director – Don Parsons Director – John C. Schmidt Jr.

Director – Boyce Vardiman Director – Norris Warner

VP 1 – Bill Tarver VP 2 – Don Staats

VP 3 – John Sommer Secretary – E. D. Yeos

Treasurer – Gene Kent CPA – Hobby Stevens