Engine moving day...

Old March 15th 04, 05:37 PM
Gene Z. Ragan

Default Engine moving day...

Hi all,

We are moving our project plane from the airfield to a hangar about 30
miles down the road. We are taking the engine out prior to removing
the wing from the fuselage. I am looking for some advice on how to
create moving crate for the engine. A helpful local FBO offered the
use of one of their industrial strength crates for the move, but they
would need it back as soon as the move is complete. The crate is a
pretty burly construction with a metal flange that the crankshaft bolt
onto and is obviously built to resist major jolts and spearing
attempts by rogue forklift. What I would like to build is a simple
frame that can support the engine for transport and storage in the
hangar while we work on the airframe. The engine will eventually be
put on a stand, but for the short term it will sit in the hangar while
we fuss with getting the fuse and wings situated.

Thanks for your help.

Gene
Old March 15th 04, 07:20 PM
Michael Pilla

"Gene Z. Ragan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

===========
I find that a couple of old truck tire carcasses supporting the engine works
fine. The carb sits in the wheel opening and the cylinders rest on the tire
sidewall. I transported my engine a few hundred miles this way. My local
IA gave me both the idea and the junk carcasses.

Caution, if you have a quick release oil drain, secure it first, it might
pop open when maneuvering the engine/tires (in the back of a station wagon
in my case). Don't ask how I know this - fortunately, my wagon had a rubber
trunk liner with a lip. :-) I also transported it back the same way.

In the shop, I had a small stand made out of 2x4s on casters, but the same
principle for handling the weight (obviously avoided the intake runners,
etc.) easy to move around and easier to then hoist into mounting position
on the engine mount. I had borrowed the stand that stores the engine on its
prop flange; i.e., vertically, "prop" side down. Not as convenient for my
needs. A shop might loan you one of those if that is your preference.

Michael Pilla

Old March 16th 04, 01:26 AM
Rich S.

"Michael Pilla" wrote in message

In the shop, I had a small stand made out of 2x4s on casters, but the same
principle for handling the weight (obviously avoided the intake runners,
etc.) easy to move around and easier to then hoist into mounting position
on the engine mount. I had borrowed the stand that stores the engine on

its
prop flange; i.e., vertically, "prop" side down. Not as convenient for my
needs. A shop might loan you one of those if that is your preference.

Once in the new shop you can use an automotive engine stand such as HF tools
ITEM 32915-0VGA $39.95. If you can wait until it's on sale you can get ten
bucks off. Simply cut four standoffs from iron pipe and get four long bolts.
If this is a Dynofocal mount, you'll have to be a little more creative. It
is very nice to have the engine on wheels and to have it up where you can
reach it easily.

Rich S.