Trainer options for Big, (and fat), guys

Old June 1st 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jon S

Default Trainer options for Big, (and fat), guys

Hi,

I go about 6'4" 250lbs when I'm in shape, which I'm currently not.

I know there are other threads on this topic, but none seem recent, (i.e., withing several years), so I'm wondering if there are any new recommendations out there for models that would suit someone like me.

I can drop some weight, but not much, so useful load becomes as much an issue as my weight.

I know I'm not the first with this question, but I haven't seen any threads started in the last several years, so I thought I'd give it a new go. Any advice would be appreciated, right now I've talked to about 5 clubs and can't really even nail down a model that will work, let alone someone that has one. Thanks very much.

Jon
Old June 1st 15, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This will be a problem.
JAR 22 standards seem to limit all pilot stations to a max of 242 pounds.
A 2-32 may be your only option.
Old June 2nd 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Can't solo from the back seat of a 2-33, and that CFI would have to be really light, like 120# or less.
In the U.S., a 2-32 is about the only thing available.
Not only the per seat restrictions of 110kg for most modern glass gliders. You have the "Max wt of the non lifting" part of the glider.

BillT
Old June 2nd 15, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 11:47:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
This will be a problem.
JAR 22 standards seem to limit all pilot stations to a max of 242 pounds.
A 2-32 may be your only option.

242 lb (110 kg) is the *minimum* weight, not the maximum. The fact that no one allows for over the minimum is not a problem with the standards...
Old June 2nd 15, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ahhhhh, Marc.

LS-8 Flight Manual, page 2-6, Paragraph 2.9 Flight Crew.
"Maximum cockpit load (Pilot+parachute+baggage+temporary equipment)....110kg, 242 lbs."
Old June 2nd 15, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ahhhhh, Marc.
Flight Manual.
Schleicher ASK21 approved March 9, 1983.
Page 13. Paragraph II.8, Weight & Balance Information.
"Max. payload front seat (pilot incl. parachute): 242 lbs = 110 daN."
"Max. payload rear seat (pilot incl. parachute): 242 lbs = 110 daN."
Old June 2nd 15, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ahhhhhh, Marc.

Flight Manual Grob 103.
Page 6, paragraph II.8 Load scheme "TWIN II"
"Maximum load in the front seat . . . . 110 kg (242 lbs)"
"Maximum load in the back seat . . . . 110 kg (242 lbs)"
Old June 2nd 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 11:02:58 PM UTC-4, Bill T wrote:
Can't solo from the back seat of a 2-33, and that CFI would have to be really light, like 120# or less.
In the U.S., a 2-32 is about the only thing available.
Not only the per seat restrictions of 110kg for most modern glass gliders. You have the "Max wt of the non lifting" part of the glider.

BillT

I didn't say it was a good thing and you're correct, you can't solo from there.
The other issue (at least in a 2-33) is control movement. A "larger sized" person (not totally related to weight, but also posterior) could spread the cockpit sides enough to jam the rear rudder pedals.

Really, for a prospective pilot, would be to slim down some.
1-To be able to fly/fly more types
2-Add some years to your life.

Not picking on anyone, glad to see someone asking valid questions. Jon S., good luck in your pursuit of flying. No sarcasm intended.
Old June 2nd 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 7:11:36 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Ahhhhhh, Marc.

Flight Manual Grob 103.
Page 6, paragraph II.8 Load scheme "TWIN II"
"Maximum load in the front seat . . . . 110 kg (242 lbs)"
"Maximum load in the back seat . . . . 110 kg (242 lbs)"

English is not an easy language. To be more precise, the minimum "maximum" pilot weight permissible under the JAR22 standard is 110 kg. That does not mean that JAR22 gliders are not permitted to have a higher "maximum" pilot weight than 110 kg, what it means is that none of the manufacturers (Genesis 2 is the sole exception, I believe) have chosen to provide over the minimum for the maximum pilot weight. Clear?
Old June 2nd 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ahhhhh, Marc.
Maximum means, "not to exceed."
It is not a "guideline." It is not "advice."
But, you are the pilot in command.

LED options Ken Gage Home Built 2 November 8th 07 01:01 AM
SSA: Good Guys & Bad Guys [email protected] Soaring 1 October 5th 06 04:11 AM
Guys, guys, guys -- the party is TOMORROW night! Jay Honeck Piloting 3 July 24th 05 05:26 AM