SSA responds to ANPRM

Old August 16th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default SSA responds to ANPRM

So far there's at least 145 responses -
plus others pending review. Keep 'em
coming!

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketBro
wser;rpp=25;po=0;dct=PS;D=FAA-2015-
2147

Old August 17th 15, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

One point I haven't seem mentioned as a common issue with any device is miminum voltage, many devices require 12 volts or more which can be difficult to maintain with batteries for more than a few hours especially at high altutudes. This is why Becker, Dittel and Trig equipment is often so popular as they are usually specéd to operate down to 10 volts.

Brian
Old August 17th 15, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Also I think we should be cautious with how we say that Transponders/ADS-B/TABS should be required in some areas, as I think this is what the FAA thinks they are asking, they think these specific areas are Class B (veil), Class C and above 10,000 feet. ie. where the exceptions currently apply.

Brian
Old August 17th 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 7:19:25 PM UTC-7, Brian wrote:
One point I haven't seem mentioned as a common issue with any device is miminum voltage, many devices require 12 volts or more which can be difficult to maintain with batteries for more than a few hours especially at high altutudes. This is why Becker, Dittel and Trig equipment is often so popular as they are usually specéd to operate down to 10 volts.

Brian

THis is a non-issue today. Using LiFePO4 batteries solves virtually all power problems. I flew last week with a 15Ah LiFePO4 Powerizer battery. I flew for 5 days, total of 20.7 hours. An Oudie, Flarm brick, LX S80 vario, radio and Trig transponder. All were on starting at least 30 minutes before launch and at the end of the last day I was still seeing 12.4 volts. All systems working perfectly.
Old August 17th 15, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey

Sad story.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/17...thorities-say/

If only they BOTH had Transponders?

Old August 17th 15, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What do you fly and where do you locate such a large battery?

My LAK-17a has a tail battery compartment which takes three 12v 2AH Pb
batteries wired in parallel and a 12v 9AH Pb battery in the baggage
compartment. I have replaced the tail battery with lead ingots and the
baggage battery with a LiFePO4 10AH direct replacement battery and
installed a 12AH LiFePO4 battery behind the seat back. These have not
let me down for the past year of use.

Maybe I could install a battery box in the fuselage aft of the landing
gear...

--
Dan Marotta

Old August 17th 15, 02:49 PM
Squeaky Squeaky is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Whiskey View Post
Sad story.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/17...thorities-say/

If only they BOTH had Transponders?
It's highly likely both did.. just like BOTH the F-16 and C150 did in the SC mid-air. So transponders alone do not eliminate the risk, and as noted, since there has only been one incident with a glider/non-glider in the past nine years, why would we mandate something which isn't affordable to all, causes issues with battery/power over long flights if not allowed to be turned off/managed, and clearly, does not eliminate the risk???
Old August 17th 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 21:37:23 +0000, George Haeh wrote:

So far there's at least 145 responses -
plus others pending review. Keep 'em coming!

http://www.regulations.gov/#!DocketB...PS;D=FAA-2015-
2147

They finally released some more, now 195 total. Still a rather pathetic
response given the likely impact on the sport. Midnight eastern time
tonight is deadline.

The Amodei letter talks about a glider-Airbus near miss close to Reno,
SSA talked about a 737 near miss (glider had transponder). Maybe the
real problem is the Minden-Reno area.

-Dave

Old August 17th 15, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Two Jet - Cessna midairs, likely with
everybody squawking, makes me
seriously sceptical that simply having
everybody squawking solves the problem.

Today's the last day until midnight EST to
comment.

Old August 18th 15, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

THis is a non-issue today. Using LiFePO4 batteries solves virtually all power problems. I flew last week with a 15Ah LiFePO4 Powerizer battery. I flew for 5 days, total of 20.7 hours. An Oudie, Flarm brick, LX S80 vario, radio and Trig transponder. All were on starting at least 30 minutes before launch and at the end of the last day I was still seeing 12.4 volts. All systems working perfectly.

Using product specs I get you are using are drawing about 1A. 2.2 amps when transmitting. What when showing 12.4 amps what does your voltage drop to while transmitting, if not using a low power radio, you may not be transmitting anything readable, although I suspect if the voltage dropped to0 low the LIFEPO4 circuitry would just be shutting everything down. Could be rather annoying to have everything reset when you push the transmit button.

I believe the 15AH battery is the larger size battery similar in size the a 12Ah Lead Acid. Some gliders it is difficult to mount this size of battery..

You obviously aren't getting 20 hrs of use without charging it, the specs don't support that. So would it last on a 8 or 10 hour flight with temps below 0C (I show they do pretty well at low temps only losing about 10% of capacity at 0C). The specs say it probably would work if we don't transmit to much and if you have room for that large of a battery.

Brian