Dual glide slope, $95...priceless!

Old October 20th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Default Dual glide slope, $95...priceless!

It's funny how anything less than $100 seems cheap when it comes to
fixing something on an airplane (especially when it's your own
airplane). Hmmm, must be because after the inevitable $1000+ repairs,
anything less than $100 seems like chump change. Go figure.

When we bought the Arrow, one thought I had when looking at pictures of
the panel was "Cool, dual glide slopes!"...only to later discover that
the glide slope in the #2 nav head didn't work. I don't recall if we
were told or if we surmised that we may not have a glide slope receiver
for the #2 nav. After just now poking around a bit on the web, I've
learned that our nav radios have built in glide slope receivers.

We had the plane at the avionics shop to get the VORs tuned since it's
never good when the #1 VOR indicates six degrees left of course when the
#2 VOR indicates (correctly) that you're on course. It turns out this
was an easy fix for the avionics guys. While doing the work, they
informed us that we do indeed have a glide slope receiver on the #2 nav
and that the problem can likely be fixed for an hour of labor ($95). We
authorize the hour for diagnosis and the problem turned out to be a few
recessed pins in a connector. The end result? We now have a functional
#2 glide slope and it only cost us $95...ah, life is good. Compared to a
rough estimate of $1700 to buy/install a second glide slope receiver,
the $95 option is...well...chump change.

Of course, now we *need* to go test fly the plane. Like I said, life is
good! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

#2 VOR indicates (correctly) that you're on course. It turns out this was
an easy fix for the avionics guys. While doing the work, they informed us
that we do indeed have a glide slope receiver on the #2 nav and that the
problem can likely be fixed for an hour of labor ($95). We authorize the
hour for diagnosis and the problem turned out to be a few recessed pins in
a connector. The end result? We now have a functional #2 glide slope and
it only cost us $95...ah, life is good. Compared to a rough estimate of
$1700 to buy/install a second glide slope receiver, the $95 option
is...well...chump change.

Of course, now we *need* to go test fly the plane. Like I said, life is
good! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

I like then days!!!!

Old October 20th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

and don't forget, that is $95 divided by three! Partnerships can be a
very good thing... We are looking for a # 3 as well.. We'll see...

Old October 20th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

Jack,
I've got the same problem with our #1 glideslope. Do you know if they
pulled the recessed pins and replaced them? or did they simply push the pins
back in place?
Thanks,
Jim

Old October 20th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

Jack,

Great to hear! Also glad to hear you got that VOR problem resolved ;-)

By the way, our club now owns a brand new 172SP with the G1000!
I don't think I'm going to be flying it thought, but it sure looks nice!
I think the hourly rate is going to be something like $115 wet.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old October 20th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

The older VOR heads (the ones fed by the KX-170B style, not the KX-155
style) can be relied upon to be 6 degrees off every couple of months.
Although technically an avionics shop needs to do the adjustment most
owners puchase the spline screwdriver and do the adjustment themselves.
You simply remove the OBS knob (via set screw) and there adjustment
screw is behind it. Usually I do it as MHR or SAC where you have a VOT.

-Robert

Old October 20th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Mark Hansen wrote:
Jack,

Great to hear! Also glad to hear you got that VOR problem resolved ;-)

By the way, our club now owns a brand new 172SP with the G1000!
I don't think I'm going to be flying it thought, but it sure looks nice!
I think the hourly rate is going to be something like $115 wet.

That's awesome! They're charging about that same price for old 172's at
Exec.

-Robert

Old October 20th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 10/20/06 07:39, Robert M. Gary wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
Jack,

Great to hear! Also glad to hear you got that VOR problem resolved ;-)

By the way, our club now owns a brand new 172SP with the G1000!
I don't think I'm going to be flying it thought, but it sure looks nice!
I think the hourly rate is going to be something like $115 wet.

That's awesome! They're charging about that same price for old 172's at
Exec.

That's right. I did most of my training at SkyWalk, which was charging over
$100 for a 70's-era 172 with a GNS 430. I"m sure the prices are much higher
now. I tried to look at their rates online, but the site is broken ;-(

I love the club - not just the wet rate, but the insurance that is included
as well.

-Robert

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old October 20th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

#2 glide slope and it only cost us $95...

That's awesome! Now you can fly two ILSs at once!!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 20th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Mark Hansen wrote:
Jack,

Great to hear! Also glad to hear you got that VOR problem resolved ;-)

By the way, our club now owns a brand new 172SP with the G1000!
I don't think I'm going to be flying it thought, but it sure looks nice!
I think the hourly rate is going to be something like $115 wet.

That's awesome! They're charging about that same price for old 172's at
Exec.

That's right. I did most of my training at SkyWalk, which was charging over
$100 for a 70's-era 172 with a GNS 430. I"m sure the prices are much higher
now. I tried to look at their rates online, but the site is broken ;-(

I love the club - not just the wet rate, but the insurance that is included
as well.

Too bad I"m on the wrong side of town. Davis is a long drive from
Folsom ;(

-Robert