A shot in the Dark.

Old December 2nd 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
gorgon

Default A shot in the Dark.

I am running a small experiment in futility. Let' just see where it
goes.

About 18 or 20 years ago, I helped put a Cessna 140 back together in
wyoming. I loaned the owner my David Clark H10-30 while he was flying
it. He sold the plane and the headset went with the plane. The new
owner was supposed to send the headset back but there was a problem
with the plane and there was a rift between the new and old owners.
Story short.....I never got my headset. I believe the C-140 went to
CA but can't be sure.

Here's the futile part. Has anyone seen a 25 year old DC headset with
the name "Martin" engraved on one earpiece in block letters? My name
is not Martin....I bought if used.

It would NOT be the strangest thing to have happened to me in my life
so far if it were to come back.

Old December 3rd 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

"gorgon" wrote in message
I am running a small experiment in futility. Let' just see where it
goes.

About 18 or 20 years ago, I helped put a Cessna 140 back together in
wyoming. I loaned the owner my David Clark H10-30 while he was flying
it. He sold the plane and the headset went with the plane. The new
owner was supposed to send the headset back but there was a problem
with the plane and there was a rift between the new and old owners.
Story short.....I never got my headset. I believe the C-140 went to
CA but can't be sure.

Here's the futile part. Has anyone seen a 25 year old DC headset with
the name "Martin" engraved on one earpiece in block letters? My name
is not Martin....I bought if used.

It would NOT be the strangest thing to have happened to me in my life
so far if it were to come back.

Dark shots sometimes work...

Once upon a time, I was skiing in the sierras. I crashed and lost my
glasses in the snow. The
following spring a girl scout came to my door with the glasses. They had
been found in a creek bed a good 15nm and 4000' vertically from where I
crashed. They had evidently been carried in a piece of ice, as they weren't
damaged. They had my name on them, and the scout who found them new us
personally.

Al G

Old December 3rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Al G" wrote in message

Dark shots sometimes work...

Once upon a time, I was skiing in the sierras. I crashed and lost my
glasses in the snow. The
following spring a girl scout came to my door with the glasses. They had
been found in a creek bed a good 15nm and 4000' vertically from where I
crashed. They had evidently been carried in a piece of ice, as they
weren't damaged. They had my name on them, and the scout who found them
new us personally.

Indeed. I was hang gliding about 1500' above a ridge line 7 miles long and
about 1/2 mile wide and was about 3 miles from the launch ramp, in a dense
forest, when I watched my wallet slip from my harness in to the summer
foliage. I didn't even consider trying to look. The rising terrain was also
averaging about 30 degrees.

Thanksgiving weekend, some 5 months later I received a call from the local
forest ranger. His brother had shot it down from hanging 20 feet high in a
tree by the plastic fan folded photo strip. Every corner had been chewed by
squirrels, but it was mailed back to me with all the cash except postage. He
happened upon it while deer hunting.

Old December 3rd 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Al G" wrote

Dark shots sometimes work...

Once upon a time, I was skiing in the sierras. I crashed and lost my
glasses in the snow. The
following spring a girl scout came to my door with the glasses. They had
been found in a creek bed a good 15nm and 4000' vertically from where I
crashed. They had evidently been carried in a piece of ice, as they
weren't damaged. They had my name on them, and the scout who found them
new us personally.

Good story. I've got a shot in the dark story, too.

I was working on my car, and dropped a socket between the grill and
radiator. I intended to go in after it, after I got done with what I was
working on. I forgot.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I had gone to Daytona Beach for spring
break with a couple college buddies. About the third day there, one of my
friends that had gone with me was digging in the sand, making a sand chair,
and found a socket. He showed it to me, and I recognized it as mine
immediately, and just to make sure, looked where it had lodged next to the
radiator, and it was indeed gone.

The day before, we had parked where he was digging, and I had almost gotten
stuck, and the spinning the front wheels got a bit of wheel hop going and
had shook it loose.

The socket had ridden from Ohio to Daytona, and had gotten loose where we
were digging the next day. What are the chances of that all taking place?

Long shots do work sometimes, indeed!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 4th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
gorgon

This whole thing arose from a beer discussion about odds of running
into your next door neighbor on a vacation to .....say Tokyo or such.
Then...as beer flowed, someone brought up the story about the
Greenland flight that ran out of fuel, landed and the crew walked
out. 60 some years later, one of the pilots got back a photo or some
such knick knack. Odds?

I had a friend whose father accused him of losing his favorite crowbar
when my friend was a kid. It was one of those Sunday dinner topics at
his house for years. "Why should I loan you my.........., I never got
my crowbar back? You kids can't take care of stuff!" His Dad has
been dead for 35 years. Fred is now 60. While Fred was remodeling
the basement of the house he inherited.........guess what was hanging
behind the plaster in the bathroom wall? When Fred sheetrocked the
bathroom....he placed the crowbar back on the stud where he found it
and sheetrocked over it.

Mark
Old December 4th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Martin

gorgon wrote:
This whole thing arose from a beer discussion about odds of running
into your next door neighbor on a vacation to .....say Tokyo or such.

I ran into one of my dad's old squadron buddies on vacation in Florida one day. We were
sitting at the gate, and I kept thinking, "man, that guy looks familiar!"

Another time, he ran into a guy he'd sailed on the destroyer with (almost 15 years before)
at one of my little-league games.