Mid Air Collisions

Old July 3rd 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sukumar Kirloskar

Default Mid Air Collisions

One of the books of Philip Wills has a chapter that describes how the BGA
was able
to obtain the freedom to fly gliders in controlled airspace in the UK. As
I recall, this
was the result of a statistical analysis on the probabilities of mid air
collisions. Would
anybody know where I may be able to lay my hands on this report or anybody

provide it or perhaps a copy of the chapter of the book.

It has been many years since my reading the book to which I no longer have
access.
I am an inactive glider pilot in Bangalore India that has airport problems
which
however are not related to gliders . The way the BGA tackled their problem
so many
years ago may have relevance hence my request.

I am also making this request to the BGA.

Thanks,

Sukumar
Old July 3rd 08, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Collin

Sukumar Kirloskar wrote:
[...]

Whilst not what you actually want, this makes an interesting read, as
does the link through to one of Justin's flights
http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/members/philipwills.htm
Old July 3rd 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Haley

At 05:42 03 July 2008, Sukumar Kirloskar wrote:

One of the books of Philip Wills has a chapter that describes how the

BGA
was able
to obtain the freedom to fly gliders in controlled airspace in the UK.

There is very little gliding per se in Controlled airspace in the UK. What
there is can be classified into low level and wave flying. It would appear
that it is low level that you are talking about and that is done by
individual Letters Of Agreement Between the local club/BGA and NATS/CAA.
Each one is different but most of them efectively asign control of the
airspace to the local club for the duration oif the flying day when
requested and normal aviation is routed arround that block of airspace. At
present only one club I know of (Dunstable) operates out of controled
airspace apart from normal ATCs and there the club contacts the local
control when they want to use it and is given the chunk of airspace until
they return it by a telephone call when done.

Gliders can request permission to enter controlled airspace by radio much
like any other GA plane and subject to the same controls.

There are also clubs that operate out of airfields with controled ATCs
alongside of civil aviation but these are mostly small GA strips or RAF
bases.

You will find deatils of the LOGs on the BGA web site.

You might also like to refer to the US AIB where they are cautionary tales
of where gliders fly in closs proximity to busy civil aviation routes in
Minden with some inevitable results.
eg
http://www.mindensoaringclub.com/int...=90&Itemi d=1

rgds