Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

Old October 25th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Default Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

Cats wrote:
On Oct 23, 2:06 am, wrote:
I recently bought a 1972 ASW-15B. I am on a budget to fix this up.
I'm looking for stuff that works, doesn't look flashly, but fits the
need.

I need a:

4.Gear so I can tow it by myself to the runway

Same answer as #3, but you have to take great care it will do the job
without damaging the glider.

I agree with that regarding the tow-out bar. But if one has a good
working example unit(or specifications/photo of same) then a safe
tow-out bar is easily/cheaply made. I have seen large diameter conduit
or square section aluminum extrusion used as the main structure.
Bolting that to a ball hitch coupler is a no brainer. The tricky part
is getting a secure/safe attachment of that to the glider fuse.

The tow-out wheel, which "cuffs" onto one wing, is most easily/cheaply
made and there is little chance of damaging the glider if common sense
is used. I have made several for about $25 apiece. Use a child's bicycle
front wheel (search the neighborhood on trash collection day or stop at
some garage sales), some 2x4 and 2x6 wood, a gate hinge and pipe flange
from the hardware store, a cinching latch from Production Tool Supply or
McMaster-Carr. Cut the wood wing cuff about 3/4" too large for the
airfoil. Wrap the wing section in saran for protection. Use Great
Stuff expanding insulation foam to fill the gap and provide a wing cuff
that "perfectly" fits the wing. I can provide photos of the last one I
made (for a LAK-12). Works great. Easy and quick to make. Cheap.

Regards,

-Doug

Old October 30th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug that would be nice to see some pictures.

It looks like I'm getting most everything I need so far.

Mark Hawkins is hooking me up with a killer deal. He sold me his GPS/
PDA and a towout bar that's almost finished. What a deal. Can't wait
to get it.

Thank you Mark!