A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fatal Glider Crash in Wurtsboro, New York

Old June 8th 21, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Fatal Glider Crash in Wurtsboro, New York

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:04:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:41:30 PM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:12:12 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Can we get any details on the pilot, like age, currency, and number of hours PIC?

Boggs

64 years old. Not very current. Not known.
UH

What does "not very current" mean and how do these personal details relate to this accident?
Mr. Boggs and Mr. Nixon: What is your age, currency and PIC time? I assume you don't mind sharing.

Actually, I think Hank's info (Nixon) is public domain. Just go to the Soaring Hall of Fame and look under the letter "N". https://www.soaringmuseum.org/hall-of-fame.php

Who is phlyi... @gmail.com, anyway???
Old June 8th 21, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]
external usenet poster

Can we get any details on the pilot, like age, currency, and number of hours PIC?

Boggs

UH

What does "not very current" mean and how do these personal details relate to this accident?
Mr. Boggs and Mr. Nixon: What is your age, currency and PIC time? I assume you don't mind sharing.

Old June 8th 21, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]
external usenet poster

Calm down Phyllis......nobody is being trashed here...just beginning an inquiry into possibilities and probabilities to learn why we loss a soaring brother. Speculations, normally held in check, does no harm to a dead pilot. Any pilot worth his salt searches for answers because they could save his life one day.
This thread will not be squelching opinions, but encouraging ideas.
R
Old June 8th 21, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

I am 68, I have many thousands of hours in gliders and I fly many hours every week.

Boggs
Old June 8th 21, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael
external usenet poster

Boggs
UH

Oh my, I'm not trying to impugn anyone's reputation! I just asked a question what "Not very current" means? According to the FAA a pilot is fully current once they satisfy the biennial Flight Review requirement. Perhaps "proficiency" was the intended descriptor? If so, how does one measure it and how do we know we and others have enough of it? Does anyone (maybe the SSF) know the relationship between "experience" and risk of accidents? Is it low-timers, rusty pilots, or those high-timers that fly with more narrow (less forgiving) margins? Maybe older pilots?
Old June 9th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim N
external usenet poster

The FAA out of Boston, just recently, presented a webinar on this very thing. I believe it's available via YouTube

Jim
Old June 9th 21, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:16:31 PM UTC-5, Jim N wrote:
The FAA out of Boston, just recently, presented a webinar on this very thing. I believe it's available via YouTube

Jim

This the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7sjJi6zJ4

Thanks,
Phyllis
Old June 9th 21, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon
external usenet poster

Boggs

UH

"Not very current" means to me a low amount of recent flight activity. Almost always a factor that increases risk.
My info: 7700hrs in gliders (just under 13000 landings) 60 hours and about 100 landings in last 60 days. I did 20 tows
on the day of the accident at a site 11 miles away. Some info I have relayed is from other sources with knowledge I
trust.
UH
Old June 9th 21, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael
external usenet poster

Not absolutely certain, but I believe this is the obituary for our lost pilot. What a loss to his family, medical profession and his extreme charity.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ny...&pid=198964579
Old June 9th 21, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 8:46:37 AM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:

Boggs
UH

"Not very current" means to me a low amount of recent flight activity. Almost always a factor that increases risk.
My info: 7700hrs in gliders (just under 13000 landings) 60 hours and about 100 landings in last 60 days. I did 20 tows
on the day of the accident at a site 11 miles away. Some info I have relayed is from other sources with knowledge I
trust.
UH

How many flights were UNPAID as a instructor? An approximate guess will suffice.
R