Fatal Glider Crash in Wurtsboro, New York

Old June 8th 21, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Fatal Glider Crash in Wurtsboro, New York

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:04:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:41:30 PM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:12:12 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Can we get any details on the pilot, like age, currency, and number of hours PIC?

Boggs

64 years old. Not very current. Not known.
UH

What does "not very current" mean and how do these personal details relate to this accident?
Mr. Boggs and Mr. Nixon: What is your age, currency and PIC time? I assume you don't mind sharing.

Actually, I think Hank's info (Nixon) is public domain. Just go to the Soaring Hall of Fame and look under the letter "N". https://www.soaringmuseum.org/hall-of-fame.php

Who is phlyi... @gmail.com, anyway???

Old June 8th 21, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]

What does "not very current" mean and how do these personal details relate to this accident?
Mr. Boggs and Mr. Nixon: What is your age, currency and PIC time? I assume you don't mind sharing.

Calm down Phyllis......nobody is being trashed here...just beginning an inquiry into possibilities and probabilities to learn why we loss a soaring brother. Speculations, normally held in check, does no harm to a dead pilot. Any pilot worth his salt searches for answers because they could save his life one day.
This thread will not be squelching opinions, but encouraging ideas.
Old June 8th 21, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

I am 68, I have many thousands of hours in gliders and I fly many hours every week.

Boggs
Old June 8th 21, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

Can we get any details on the pilot, like age, currency, and number of hours PIC?

Boggs
64 years old. Not very current. Not known.
UH

What does "not very current" mean and how do these personal details relate to this accident?
Mr. Boggs and Mr. Nixon: What is your age, currency and PIC time? I assume you don't mind sharing.

Oh my, I'm not trying to impugn anyone's reputation! I just asked a question what "Not very current" means? According to the FAA a pilot is fully current once they satisfy the biennial Flight Review requirement. Perhaps "proficiency" was the intended descriptor? If so, how does one measure it and how do we know we and others have enough of it? Does anyone (maybe the SSF) know the relationship between "experience" and risk of accidents? Is it low-timers, rusty pilots, or those high-timers that fly with more narrow (less forgiving) margins? Maybe older pilots?
Old June 9th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim N

The FAA out of Boston, just recently, presented a webinar on this very thing. I believe it's available via YouTube

Jim
Old June 9th 21, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:16:31 PM UTC-5, Jim N wrote:
The FAA out of Boston, just recently, presented a webinar on this very thing. I believe it's available via YouTube

Jim

This the one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7sjJi6zJ4

Thanks,
Phyllis
Old June 9th 21, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:04:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:41:30 PM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:12:12 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Can we get any details on the pilot, like age, currency, and number of hours PIC?

Boggs

64 years old. Not very current. Not known.
UH

What does "not very current" mean and how do these personal details relate to this accident?
Mr. Boggs and Mr. Nixon: What is your age, currency and PIC time? I assume you don't mind sharing.

"Not very current" means to me a low amount of recent flight activity. Almost always a factor that increases risk.
My info: 7700hrs in gliders (just under 13000 landings) 60 hours and about 100 landings in last 60 days. I did 20 tows
on the day of the accident at a site 11 miles away. Some info I have relayed is from other sources with knowledge I
trust.
UH
Old June 9th 21, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

Not absolutely certain, but I believe this is the obituary for our lost pilot. What a loss to his family, medical profession and his extreme charity.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ny...&pid=198964579
Old June 9th 21, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 8:46:37 AM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
[...]

How many flights were UNPAID as a instructor? An approximate guess will suffice.

Fatal glider crash, MHV JS Soaring 0 October 31st 14 08:32 PM
Parowan Fatal Crash ContestID67[_2_] Soaring 30 July 3rd 09 03:43 AM
Rare fatal CH-801 crash Jim Logajan Home Built 8 June 22nd 09 03:24 AM
Fatal Crash Monty General Aviation 1 December 12th 07 10:06 PM
Police investigate fatal glider crash - Southern NSW Mal[_4_] Soaring 1 September 2nd 07 03:24 AM