AHRS and competition/badges/records/OLC ?

Old March 31st 21, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Bures

Default AHRS and competition/badges/records/OLC ?

Hi all,

I'm bored. I'm without a sailplane. I'm planning for my retirement, which is still some years away. I hope it will include some OLC, casual competitions, badge, or regional record attempts probably limited to the USA. It could possibly include a homebuilt or refurbished sailplane.

As such, I’ve been goofing around with panel layouts, researching and planning instruments and equipment. I’ve created everything from the ‘Ultimate’ to the ‘Minimalistic’ setup.

One interesting thing has caught my attention and I need to know more. Hopefully this group will help. No flaming please.

The availability of AHRS for sailplanes is growing rapidly. There are several affordable options available from several manufacturers, some targeted specifically at sailplanes. Many are included (or upgrades) to soaring computers. Examples include uAvionix, LX Navigation, LX Nav, and even some phone/tablet solutions (iLevil, FlightBox, WingBug).

An AV-30 could replace three (or more) instruments (airspeed, altitude, and Xpnder/ADS-B head unit). Instead of being excessively more money, it has become an affordable safety/luxury item. Soaring computers are already so very sophisticated, it won’t be long until we’ll have one screen that does everything (like a Dynon or MGL unit in amateur built aircraft).

All this leads me to some questions about competitions, badges, OLC, and records.

1. I see that SSA competition rules, section 6.6.1 prohibits AHRS type instruments. I also see there is a ‘waiver’ system, but you have to be able to disable the artificial horizon type features. What do people do these days at competitions? Do modern glide computers with AHRS include an approved ‘lock out’ feature? Does everyone get a waiver? Do most people just not buy or install the capability? I cannot see this as a tenable solution moving forward as so many AHRS systems are becoming so affordable (and possibly default installations). How is this all managed at competitions (visual inspection, self reporting, or honor system)?

2. What about OLC, badges, or records? I wasn’t able to locate information about ‘prohibited’ equipment. If they are prohibited, is it ‘honor system’ or something else that guarantees compliance?
Old March 31st 21, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_7_]

On 31/03/2021 19:01, Jeff Bures wrote:
[...]

Flight Recorders that are IGC-approved and have AHRS capability have two
features relating to this, aimed at Competitions.

The .IGC file records the activating of an AHRS.

The AHRS feature can be disabled for a period of days and cannot be
re-activated until the said days have passed.

For un-approved recorders, it is anyone's guess.

Old March 31st 21, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

Hmmm ........disabling a critical safety feature makes perfect sense.
Old April 1st 21, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 3:22:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hmmm ........disabling a critical safety feature makes perfect sense.

The sad truth is that some people use AHRS in order to cloud-fly when it is otherwise illegal or against the rules.

How many folks do this, how strong the temptation is, and whether "protecting" records and badges against this kind of cheating by disabling those features is part of a long-running and tired debate around these parts (and others)...

Old April 1st 21, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Semantics Michael wrote on 3/31/2021 3:22 PM:
Hmmm ........disabling a critical safety feature makes perfect sense.

Nonsense. I've never needed one in 7000 hours of soaring - how critical can it be? Arguably,
someone with one is more likely to need one for safety, because they think they have an "out".
Also, it's been prohibited in US contests for 50+ years, and I don't recall a single fatality
linked to that prohibition.

Old April 1st 21, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 5:02:12 PM UTC-6, noel.wade wrote:
On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 3:22:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hmmm ........disabling a critical safety feature makes perfect sense.

The sad truth is that some people use AHRS in order to cloud-fly when it is otherwise illegal or against the rules.

How many folks do this, how strong the temptation is, and whether "protecting" records and badges against this kind of cheating by disabling those features is part of a long-running and tired debate around these parts (and others)...

"Illegal and against the rules" apply to certain rules not all when it comes to competition flying in the US. Keep in mind flying within 500' of cloudbase below 10,000 MSL and within 1,000' of cloudbase above 10,000' MSL is just as illegal and against the rules as going in the clouds.
Old April 1st 21, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 6:08:53 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Semantics Michael wrote on 3/31/2021 3:22 PM:
Hmmm ........disabling a critical safety feature makes perfect sense.

Nonsense. I've never needed one in 7000 hours of soaring - how critical can it be? Arguably,
someone with one is more likely to need one for safety, because they think they have an "out".
Also, it's been prohibited in US contests for 50+ years, and I don't recall a single fatality
linked to that prohibition.

I spoke with a pilot who flew in the Sierra wave many years ago and inadvertently went into a lenticular. See https://rec.aviation.soaring.narkive...-reno-pilot-ok. He had an artificial horizon which wasn't on. He considered it a safety feature and thought it was possible to get on soon enough when needed. Before he could get it on his wings came off. Today with LXNAV you can get to the AHRS with an instantaneous single click. The outcome may have been different today.

You can find stories in soaring books of pilots who were sucked up into thunderstorms.

My sailplane came with an artificial horizon. The previous owner considered it a safety feature. I removed it after installing an LX9000 with AHRS.

I don't recall an a single competition fatality linked to AHRS prohibition. However, it doesn't mean it won't happen.

I the end, after an accident, no one wants to explain why disabling a safety feature was required to enter a competition.
Old April 1st 21, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

My inclination would be to treat turning on the AHRS as a landout - similar to how an airspace violation is treated.

Eventually one or more contest gliders will be sucked into a big cu Ã* la Wuppertal, whereupon more consideration will be given to this rule.
Old April 1st 21, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Bures

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 2:26:10 PM UTC-7, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
[...]

So if I have an AHRS without IGC logger, I can't participate in competitions.

What about OLC, badges, and record attempts?
Old April 1st 21, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 11:56:25 AM UTC+10, Jeff Bures wrote:
[...]

OLC you can trivially forge entire traces, lie about your glider type (set your EB29 to a 2-33?), so cloud flying is the least of your problems.
Badges and records, you need to convince your official observer that your flight was not only within the FAI rules, but also legal. So the onus is on your OO to verify it, as well as your honour.

All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records Tango Eight Soaring 99 March 23rd 17 12:07 PM
Needed: Inexpensive AHRS module to work with Oudie, XCsoar, LK8000, etc... kirk.stant Soaring 34 April 30th 15 02:05 AM
CFI-G and Badges, racing glider[_2_] Soaring 14 March 3rd 10 03:45 PM
Diamond Badges Nyal Williams Soaring 8 November 27th 06 06:08 AM
Badges ? ... We don't need no stinkin' badges Doug Snyder Soaring 36 September 21st 05 08:26 AM