Spot Gen3?

Old May 8th 13, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Spot Gen3?

Tracking down to 2.5 minutes. Prices for the Gen3 and is there extra
cost for the better tracking? Couldn't find anything on the website.

From SPOT:

Having initiated over 2,300 rescues around the world, SPOT is
solidifying its place as a leader in satellite communication
technologies by introducing two new products that will continue to
keep outdoor enthusiasts connected while off the grid:
SPOT Global Phone and SPOT Gen3.

SPOT Global Phone, the first satellite phone to be sold at major
retailers nationwide, provides industry-leading, crystal-clear voice
quality and works where cell phones don't. SPOT Global Phone offers
two-way satellite voice communication so adventurers can stay
connected to friends, family and business contacts wherever their
adventures take them.

COMING SOON!
SPOT Gen3, smaller than previous SPOT messenger devices, offers a
variety of updated features and functions:
Unlimited Tracking - Pre-set your SPOT Gen3 to send tracks at the
speed of your adventures. Change your tracks to send every 5, 10, 30,
or 60 minutes. SPOT Gen3 will send tracks at your chosen rate for as
long as your device is turned on and moving. Tracking doesn't stop
until you do.
Extreme Tracking - Get all of the great features of Unlimited
Tracking, but with the added ability to vary your track rate down to
every 2˝ minutes.

Perfect for pilots and ultra outdoor enthusiasts!
Longer Battery Life - approximately twice as long as SPOT 2 with
average use, new power options include 4 AAA Energizer® Ultimate
Lithium 8x batteries (L92), 4 AAA Energizer® NiMH rechargeable
batteries (NH12), or Line Power with a 5v USB connection.

Old May 8th 13, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

This ad
(http://www.rei.com/product/860469/sp...-gps-messenger) says:

"$149.99 yearly subscription covers basic service and tracking. Add
unlimited tracking for an additional $50 per year, or unlimited tracking
at 2.5 min. intervals for an additional $150 per year."

It sounds more expensive than the inReach, and is one-way only - no
receiving messages. It might still be a good value when we know more
details, but I think I'll still prefer the inReach - wish they'd start
delivering it.

On 5/8/2013 10:55 AM, Tim Taylor wrote:
Tracking down to 2.5 minutes. Prices for the Gen3 and is there extra
cost for the better tracking? Couldn't find anything on the website.

From SPOT:

[...]

email me)
Old May 9th 13, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Well, my ego is perfectly satisfied with only being stroked every 10 minutes. And no altitude keeps 'em guessing - or thinking that I'm always nice and high...

Jeez, do you guys link your flights to Facebook in real time?

Amused,

Kirk
66
Old May 9th 13, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Thought the $500 Global Phone sounded more interesting than the Gen3...
But it's monthly or annual subscription, not prepaid.
Having a SPOT 2 on the parachute harness and APRS in the glider pretty much covers tracking for me.
Jim
Old May 9th 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Q - How much does Spot charge for truly reliable service?

A - Sorry, not available.

InReach is the better solution, though more expensive.

I have the original InReach (smartphone version). When Delorme came out with the newer, smaller InReach SE with LCD screen (the one Eric says they are not shipping yet), I considered upgrading. However, the SE uses an internal lithium battery while my older InReach uses 2 AA batteries (lithium, alkaline, or NiMH). I prefer the ability to swap batteries on longer trips, as I use the InReach in power planes, including week long camping trips in the Idaho back country, where the ability to send and recieve text messages via the InReach is appreciated by wife and family.

Note: My original InReach was defective. It would shut down and/or lock-up for no apparent reason. The replacement works flawlessly, even after dropping it and sending it flying even higher and into the concrete after my attempt to catch it only made matters worse (I had my hands full).

bumper

Old May 9th 13, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:36:10 PM UTC-6, bumper wrote:
[...]

Was watching F2's InReach today on the 18M task, highlighted in red rather than yellow for SPOT. Having the altitude in the data was interesting. Plus lots more fixes.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 9th 13, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/8/2013 7:36 PM, bumper wrote:

[...]

Paul Remde told me the inReach SE units were to ship to him Monday, so
expects to begin deliveries to his customers next week. I'm looking
forward to testing it.

email me)
Old May 9th 13, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would like to encourage everyone to evaluate the tracking difference between SPOT and InReach. There is not better comparison than to watch the SSA Sailplane Contest Tracker at SSA.org. The 18 meter nationals are occurring this week and the action is live as well as archived at SSA.org. Go to "race results" and you will find the tracker archive in a column beside each day. Only on the race page will you also find the task defined (not to be confused with the general tracking map).

The current day is "live" and the past results are "archived" for ever and ever. There is also visible satellite imagery archived every thirty minutes. Swipe the timeline at the bottom to march the pilots around the course. Sean's InReach is much more reliable, consistent and shows altitude in the info block.

Lane
XF
Old May 10th 13, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glen

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:01:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

As I was watching the race today I came up with a great idea Lane, could you link up the live tracking with Condor so us at home could fly along with the pack!!
Glennnnnn
Old May 12th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Link to my Delorme tracking page: https://share.delorme.com/SeanFidler

This is my personal tracking page with Delorme InReach aviation data plan.

Delorme provides:

1 minute update cycles vs. 10 for spot :-(
Airspeed - spot nada
Altitude - spot nada
Heading - spot nada

Spot is really designed for people on hikes moving slowly along in remote area's.

Delorme is better suited for aviation. They have numerous plans based on the number of hours you plan to fly. You can also change to 10 min tracking if you want to save $$$ but still get altitude, etc.

The experience of following a flight with 1 minute updates, heading, altitude and airspeed is far more enjoyable, meaningful and FUN that watching spot. My experience is that very few people even bother watching spot tracking flights because it is so boring. If we all had InReach it would be much more fun to follow along.

Just sayin...

Sean

Spot vs Spot Connect guy Soaring 9 January 25th 12 03:48 PM
Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
SPOT D.Rizzato General Aviation 0 February 5th 08 01:04 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Restoration 0 February 5th 08 12:46 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Piloting 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM