Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old March 5th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Dan wrote:
On Feb 28, 2:18 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Phil J wrote:
Germany's use
of advanced technology and advanced tactics put them ahead of every
other country on the planet at that time.

Only part of that is true. At the start of the war German tanks were
generally regarded as inferior to their contemporaries. It was generally
superior tactics and training that won their battles. In fact at the outset
of the invasion of Russia, the Russian T-34 was superior in pretty much
every way to anything the Germans had. (I wasted part of my youth playing
board wargames such as Avalon Hill's "PanzerBlitz" and learned a bit about
the equipment and tactics of the era.)

Refs:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...ki/Panzerblitz

Not exactly.

The T-34 was produced en masse, had a weak main gun, and had very
little room inside for the crew. German tanks were better made and
better gunned.

But -- all Wermacht maintenance was depot level -- throw a rod? Send
the whole tank back to the fatherland by rail.

The US forward deployed maintenance philosophy helped defeat the far
superior German armor. They would blast four of our tanks -- the next
day three would reappear.

The Soviet maintenance and refit was not as efficient, but the sheer
numbers of T-34s helped swing the tide.

The main innovation that German armored units employed that helped
facilitate blitzkrieg was small unit communications (radios). The
French had better (on paper) tanks then the PKZW Mk IV, but the French
employed their tanks as infantry support while the Germans used
penetrate and exploit tactics.

The German Tiger tank was not exceeded in potential by Allied armor
until the deployment of the M-1 Abrams.

Now *that's* a tank.

Too bad there will be no more tank battles...

Old March 5th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:

Too bad there will be no more tank battles...

Now that's wishful thinking.
Old March 5th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I'm not sure why people make fun of Iowa that way, but I am sure there
must be very good reasons Iowans deserve it. Just like with the
French!

Pretty good! But you forgot this one:

What does "IOWA" stand for?

Idiots
Out
Walking
Around

You see, unlike the French (and several folks in this thread), I have
something called "a sense of humor". I suggest you guys find one -- it
makes the world much more fun!

Besides, I'm not from Iowa...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

And what was France's contribution during WW1?

They helped win it -- but who cares?

Answer: No one. Past gallantry is trumped by recent ignobility.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old March 5th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

and your knowledge about the French comes from where? From your minor in
history? Have you ever been outside your country?

Marty, as your posts over the year have proven time and time again, you are
living proof that leaving your country has taught you nothing. Or do you
think that by visiting three cities in the US you now "know" America better
than if you had actually spent time in school *studying* American history?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Just like the undeserved stereotypes of blacks, Mexicans, Poles, Gypsies,
Jews, Catholics etc. etc. etc., the nasty perceptions are only perpetuated
by the ignorant people who persist in displaying how small they really are
by repeating them.

Actually, no. You're confusing a national stereotype (the French People)
with prejudicial views against individuals within a race or nationality
(Poles, Jews, etc.) To my knowledge, no one regards individuals of French
descent to be inferior or dumb -- if anything, individually the French are
seen as suave and debonair -- but as a nation they are commonly ridiculed
due to their recent (post-1938) behavior.

This is a subtle yet important difference that makes the two attitudes
apples and oranges.

(And, just so you know this shouldn't be taken personally, my mother's
family is of French descent.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 5, 5:10 pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

The German Tiger tank was not exceeded in potential by Allied armor
until the deployment of the M-1 Abrams.

Now *that's* a tank.

Too bad there will be no more tank battles...

Don't be so sure. While it's unlikely we will see mass tank battles
such as Kursk, the Tank will continue to dominate the battlefield.

When I was in OCS playing infantry grunt we were assaulted by a
platoon of tanks. Everyone knew it was "war games", but let me tell
you - nothing, but nothing gets the pucker up like 63 tons rolling at
you at 50 MPH, main gun and coax pointing in your direction.

At that moment, my choice of branch was clear -- armor.

Though I completed my 21 years as an infantry Company Commander, and
learn to respect the havoc wreaked by one grunt and a LAW, I think
reports of the tank's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Dan

Old March 5th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 5, 5:44 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
And what was France's contribution during WW1?

They helped win it -- but who cares?

Answer: No one. Past gallantry is trumped by recent ignobility.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

So what's the time frame? Only within Jay's cognizance of events?

One thing you've displayed is the prototypical American's short view
of history.

Dan

Old March 5th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 5, 6:08 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Jay -- please READ what you write before hitting "POST."

One definition of education is the ability to discriminate and not
have reason overwhelmed by vague generalizations.

Are you seriously a clod, or are you "jes funnin?"

Dan

Old March 6th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French upgraded to equalopportunity insulter

On 6 Mar, 00:11, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote :

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote in
:

American terrorist preparations:

level 1: ban nasal hair trimmers
level 2: invade some innocent country on a different continent and
bomb it to cinders because they can't locate the right one on a map
level 3: have some more skyscrapers bombed by the people ****ed off
from what happened in level 2
level 4: post racist jokes to usenet

American jokes aren't racist?

You be the judge.

OK, you're a raccist fjukkwit.

I just thought they deserved an equal opportunity.

of course you did. Fairplay is the hallmark of your trade.

Maybe they should

Level 1. invade naeighbors to southeast.
Level 2 *anschull the next nieghbors to souteast
Level 3 *invade neighbors to east
Level 4 invade neighbors to west
Level 5 **** up everything else and go whining back to the vaterland.

Tina did that one already.

Tina's German?

I also like this onehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9NUKwHEWEg

But can't you come up with a different stereotype for a change?

I should be asking you that, shouldn't I?

Bertie