A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What's it like to fly a SGS 1-26 'out west' (say Moriarty New Mexico)?

Old August 5th 12, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default What's it like to fly a SGS 1-26 'out west' (say Moriarty New Mexico)?

I've had great fun flying an SGS 1-26 in New England. What's a 1-26 like in the stronger conditions that are more typical 'out west' (say Moriarty New Mexico). I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has flown the 1-26 both east and west USA.

I've kept the 1-26 up for nice long flights close to the airport in very light lift on days when the "high performance guys" don't even bother to assemble. On a decent day, it goes right up to cloud base and stays there for mild cross-country. If you have to land out, you can do it in the available postage-stamp-sized sloping fields.

The weak point is of course 'penetration' as the sink increases rapidly with airspeed. All and all it's a great fun ship (for what it is).

How does a SGS 1-26 do in stronger conditions with higher cloud bases that I would expect to find in 'Soaring Nirvana' 'out west'?

Old August 5th 12, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:06:51 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I've had great fun flying an SGS 1-26 in New England. What's a 1-26 like in the stronger conditions that are more typical 'out west' (say Moriarty New Mexico). I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has flown the 1-26 both east and west USA.

I've kept the 1-26 up for nice long flights close to the airport in very light lift on days when the "high performance guys" don't even bother to assemble. On a decent day, it goes right up to cloud base and stays there for mild cross-country. If you have to land out, you can do it in the available postage-stamp-sized sloping fields.

The weak point is of course 'penetration' as the sink increases rapidly with airspeed. All and all it's a great fun ship (for what it is).

How does a SGS 1-26 do in stronger conditions with higher cloud bases that I would expect to find in 'Soaring Nirvana' 'out west'?

There is at least one 1-26 (Pete Vredenburg, "Bulldog") flying XC in Moriarty, and others in Arizona. This years 1-26 Champion Bob Hurni is based in the Phoenix area. Next years 1-26 Championships will be in Moriarty. I believe that Mark Keene did 60 mph on an assigned task back in the day at a 1-26 championships in Moriarty.

There are a few guys (Doug Levy in particular) who do long flights in their 1-26's in the Sierras.

I will get you Pete's contact info off group.
Old August 5th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:09:30 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
On Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:06:51 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

There is at least one 1-26 (Pete Vredenburg, "Bulldog") flying XC in Moriarty, and others in Arizona. This years 1-26 Champion Bob Hurni is based in the Phoenix area. Next years 1-26 Championships will be in Moriarty. I believe that Mark Keene did 60 mph on an assigned task back in the day at a 1-26 championships in Moriarty.

There are a few guys (Doug Levy in particular) who do long flights in their 1-26's in the Sierras.

I will get you Pete's contact info off group.

In 1970 the Albuquerque Soaring Club moved its operations to Moriarty. Since that time there have been many excellent flights in 1-26s flying out of Moriarty. Three pilots completed all of three of diamonds from Moriarty and there have been numerous Diamond and Gold Badge legs completed in 1-26s over the years.

Pete (Bulldog) Vredenburg flies his 1-26 regularly out of Moriarty and the 1-26 Nationals have been held here several times. I owned a 1-26 for seven years and flew at Moriarty and I can attest to the outstanding conditions found here. In addition, we also often have visitors with 1-26s that trailer their ships out here to fly. If you take a look at the OLC, you will see the kind of soaring conditions we have out here...

Now, I know it is a long way from New England, but if you can make the trip, you will not regret it!
Thanks - Renny
Old August 6th 12, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:06:51 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:

Ive flown a 1-26 in Northern UT a bit and the problem is the typically strong winds aloft. If you pick a light wind day you will have a great time. Also, the 1-26's I flew didn't seal up that well so with high cloud bases you have to dress accordingly. I wore gloves sometimes.
Old August 6th 12, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Aug 4, 7:06*pm, son_of_flubber wrote:
I've had great fun flying an SGS 1-26 in New England. *What's a 1-26 like in the stronger conditions that are more typical 'out west' (say Moriarty New Mexico). *I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has flown the 1-26 both east and west USA.

I've kept the 1-26 up for nice long flights close to the airport in very light lift on days when the "high performance guys" don't even bother to assemble. *On a decent day, it goes right up to cloud base and stays there for mild cross-country. *If you have to land out, you can do it in the available postage-stamp-sized sloping fields.

The weak point is of course 'penetration' as the sink increases rapidly with airspeed. *All and all it's a great fun ship (for what it is).

Flying a 1-26 ANYWHERE is a good time! I really like a 1-26 when we
have rough air. 1-26's really DON'T climb as well as many gliders,
but they are darn sure very nimble. When the thermals are strong but
really thin, a 1-26 will out-climb the majority of gliders. For fun
local flying, a 1-26 is my favorite!
Old August 7th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Aug 6, 1:18*pm, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Aug 4, 7:06*pm, son_of_flubber wrote:

I've had great fun flying an SGS 1-26 in New England. *What's a 1-26 like in the stronger conditions that are more typical 'out west' (say Moriarty New Mexico). *I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has flown the 1-26 both east and west USA.

I've kept the 1-26 up for nice long flights close to the airport in very light lift on days when the "high performance guys" don't even bother to assemble. *On a decent day, it goes right up to cloud base and stays there for mild cross-country. *If you have to land out, you can do it in the available postage-stamp-sized sloping fields.

The weak point is of course 'penetration' as the sink increases rapidly with airspeed. *All and all it's a great fun ship (for what it is).

Flying a 1-26 ANYWHERE is a good time! *I really like a 1-26 when we
have rough air. *1-26's really DON'T climb as well as many gliders,
but they are darn sure very nimble. When the thermals are strong but
really thin, a 1-26 will out-climb the majority of gliders. For fun
local flying, a 1-26 is my favorite!

The last time I flew a 1-26, in the early 80's, it was at Moriarty
and a very strong day. I remember the vario pegged and the sound of
sand in the thermal striking the bottom of the wing as it rushed up to
16,000 feet msl. I also remember flying through powerful thermals at
cruising speed and getting beat up with those short unbending metal
wings. My hat is off to those rugged 1-26 drivers, they are tough
guys.