Flying Club Management Software

Old April 14th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying Club Management Software

Our club (Windy City Soaring Association) has gathered a list of potential Flying Club Management Software features and packages.

We are wondering if anyone could provide guidance as to which may be the best. If you know of other software not listed, please let us know and we will add it.

Or, if you can refer us to a club who uses software of this type, we would love to speak with them about it.

We are a glider club with 75 members, 2 tow planes, and 5 gliders.
We would like to get the maximum number of the following features in one "easy to use" solution.

Below is what we have gathered so far in no particular order.
Thanks.

FEATURES WISH LIST
Accounting
Member DB
Email Distribution Lists
Non-Member DB
Committees
Pilot Currency
Pilot Training
Aircraft Use
Aircraft Maintenance
Web Site
Document Library
Photo Album
E-Commerce
Surveys
Forums
Duty Calendar(s)
Event Calendar
Ride Calendar
Aircraft Scheduling

SOFTWARE FOUND SO FAR
ClubExpress clubexpress.com
ClubHosting clubhosting.org
Aircraft Clubs aircraftclubs.com
Click n' Glide clicknglide.com
Free-Flight http://www.free-flight.info/
Flight Schedule Pro flightschedulepro.com
Schedule Pointe schedulepointe.com
SkyManager skymanager.com
Flylogio flylogio.com/aeroclub-management
My FBO Myfbo.com
TotalFBO https://totalfbo.com/
Hold Short holdshort.com
Fly4FunScheduling fly4funscheduling.com
Tak-off tak-off.com
Pilot Schedule pilotschedule.com
Flying Club Manager fcmgr.com
Schedule Master schedulemaster.com
Schedule Now schedule-now.net
Odoo odoo.com
Old April 14th 17, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:23:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Chris,

We are currently working on that very solution. We have one two plane and 10 sailplanes. The people with marketable skills have already started coding the database. We've addressed several of the issues we run into and should have a solution in the next couple months.

Cypress Soaring, SoCal.

John
Old April 17th 17, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

http://www.glidingops.com/Login.php
Old May 17th 17, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

--

Gliding Federation of Australia | C4/1-13 The Gateway | Broadmeadows |
Victoria 3047 p: +61 3 9359 1613 | f: +61 3 9359 9865 | w: www.g
Old May 17th 17, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I found your post searching for possible collaborators to develop gliding club management software.

I’d be interested to know what progress you've made with your enquiries.

I’m currently looking to commence a project to develop software to do this.If someone else has done it already it may save me an awful lot of work.

Our Current Situation

I’m a member of Lake Keepit Soaring Club in Australia. We currently have around 150 members and we run a semi-commercial operation midweek, with an employed manager, and additional seasonal tuggie(s) and instructor(s)..

We operate a bit over 4000 flights per year, mostly aerotow with around 150 winch and 120 self launch. I commenced the development of software (Fltops) in 2005 for entering flightsheet data, calculating flight charges, and managing pilot flying accounts. A bookings system for reserving gliders is included. To this has been added membership management and charging for accommodation and other miscellaneous sales. Cash and payments are recorded and account balances maintained, and statements are produced and can be emailed on request, or monthly. The system allows preparation of a wide range of reports used for club management.

The system is written in Visual Foxpro, which is a database management language which evolved from the original dBase. Microsoft bought Visual Foxpro and after a few years ceased to support and maintain the language.

Having used this program for over 10 years, it is quite robust, free of bugs and a powerful aid to the management of the club.

Currently data we utilise the tug pilot to record the flight data, and this is manually entered into the club office computer at the end of the day (data can be entered progressively.) The data entryscreen is designed to facilitate rapid data entry by keystrokes, progressed by TAB or ENTER keys, with default values presented by the program wherever that makes logical sense..

We have toyed with GPS tracker recording of flight data and believe this is the next step (We even progressed quite a way along this track before the member who was the key driver of that project left the club.)

I have been asked on a few occasions whether our Fltops software could be made available to other clubs – regrettably, some of the coding is specific to our club, and the software is built around other special peculiarities of our club’s charging system. Making it into a generic program would involve a fair bit of work by me. Also, I would not be prepared to offer on-going support to other clubs.

The Future

I’m interested in working towards a web-based system, utilising the concepts I’ve developed in our Fltops program, which hopefully could be made customisable by any club for their use.

It will be required by our club eventually as
- I’ll die off one day or be run over by a bus;
- the language Visual Foxpro is still viable but is no longer supported and not getting any enhancements;
- people expect to be able to access their accounts on the web;
- system improvements will be required in the future

I’m looking to find other people prepared to work collaboratively to share to workload, importantly to have other people who understand the system so that future support will be available

I’m not a professional IT nerd, but have written software for my own business and the gliding club. I don’t have any web design experience, but have been doing some research and have some ideas. But will need a lot of advice and assistance to get started.

Interested? Or know of any others who might be?

Feel free to circulate this.

Regards

Dave Shorter
reply please to

Old May 17th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

That address is
dave at shorter dot net
Jim
Old May 21st 17, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Our club (www.edmontonsoaringclub.com) made the move to Freeflight for this season.
Keith

What do you pay for Freeflight? It's not obvious on their page.
Old May 24th 17, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 9:34:02 PM UTC-6, Bret Hess wrote:
Our club (www.edmontonsoaringclub.com) made the move to Freeflight for this season.
Keith

What do you pay for Freeflight? It's not obvious on their page.

Hi Brett:

Maurice offers several pricing models. We went with option #1 as our club had no interest or skill to take on the either #2 or #3.

1) The shared cost model. One off up front fee of £600 which covers initial setup and import of existing data, 12 months training and support (conducted via a combination of “how To” videos and remote hands on training using a combination of Skype and Mikogo (A screen sharing system which allows me to hand over control to the training participants.

Thereafter at £30/month to cover hosting fees and a little bit extra for my 7 years of development work.

Subsequent support is either by an annual contract at £250 or on an ad hoc basis at £25 per incidence

2) Purchase of a runtime license at £3950. The club would then be responsible for renting and maintaining its own server which really needs to be a scaleable cloud based server starting at 8Gb Ram dual core. The initial setup fee and first year support would be the same at £600

3) A territory license at £16,950. The licensee would again need to rent their own server and add the cost of an AwareIM developer license (Currently circa $1500 US) The licensee would then be able to host the software as a service for other clubs and set their own pricing structure.

There would need to be a non disclosure agreement in place and an undertaking not to host clubs outside of their own territory. I estimate the support cost for a territory license to be circa £1500 per annum to include all software updates - which as you know are ongoing. I plan to add purchase ledger by the end of this year.

To date, the only option in use is 1) - When you have priced up the cost of a scaleable cloud server, you will perhaps understand why. 3) may be an attractive option to larger clubs or governing bodies who wish to provide the service to smaller - less financially well off clubs, and with the addition of the Hobbs/Tacho pricing for motor gliders and other powered aircraft, an expanded market potential would make it a financially viable option.

With Option 1) the data always remains the property of participating clubs and as you know, almost all the reports have an option to export the data to a CSV file for data manipulation outside of FreeFlight (EG Excel PivoTables), local data backup and of course migration away from FreeFlight should anyone wish to.

Regards,
Maurice

Skype ID rocketmandlgc"

If you have further price specific questions, I am certain Maurice will be happy to field them.

I encourage you to do a demo with him, the software has a lot of great functions and for us particularly it was important to go with a proven piece of software.

Regards,
Keith

Flying Club software? Medic Piloting 7 November 6th 06 04:28 PM
Club management software Marc Arsenault Soaring 2 November 20th 04 03:03 AM
Club Management Issue Geoffrey Barnes Owning 150 March 30th 04 06:36 PM
Club Management Issue Geoffrey Barnes Piloting 149 March 30th 04 06:36 PM
SN-10 database management software Kirk Stant Soaring 0 December 4th 03 01:29 AM