CAI Model 20 to OLC?

Old July 9th 17, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default CAI Model 20 to OLC?

You can mount the cameras but you will not be able to buy film. The film industry went the same way as the coal industry years ago. But hey after the news out of the G19 plus 1 maybe the film industry will come back along with pay phones and coal.

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:36:25 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hi Steve,

I'll happily send you my camera and mount and Replogle barograph to use,
though you'll have to get the barograph calibrated (if you can find
someone to do it). :-D

Dan

Old July 11th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you still get the OLC "points", who cares about the big red V?
Old July 12th 17, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Yeah, I know I should "buy a new logger". But, I fly old sailplanes. :-) Anyone had success uploading a file from a Model 20 and getting a valid score? I am 0 for 3. The first two, I wrote off to too few satellites a couple of times during the flight. Didn't have that issue today, but still a big red V.

I am using the same conversion program I used last year, and it says it is making a valid file. It worked fine last year, but doesn't now. Maybe they would like me better if I gave them money? And, please, no "Use Skylines" comments.

Suggestions welcome.

Steve Leonard

If flying 30 plus year old gliders is no big deal then why the sarcasm over 20 year old instruments? Also it seems especially when it comes to badges that we have tighter security the our state department. Why can't any IGC file be OK....are we really afraid that people will cheat the system? I guess with all that prize money people will do anything.

Accept all IGC files and let pilots be on their honor.

Dennis

DC
Old July 12th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 14:09 12 July 2017, wrote:
On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 10:59:52 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Yeah, I know I should "buy a new logger". But, I fly old sailplanes.

:-=

=
score? I am 0 for 3. The first two, I wrote off to too few satellites a
c=
ouple of times during the flight. Didn't have that issue today, but

still
=
a big red V.
=20
[...]

s with all that prize money people will do anything.=20

Accept all IGC files and let pilots be on their honor.

Dennis

The Cambridge M10 (from which came the M20) was only secure in the .CAI
file, the .IGC file was not secure, something Dave Ellis promised to fix,
but never did. The M10 was the first, later recorders all had secure .IGC
files.

We Learn.

But to assume that all pilots are honourable has been proved to be wrong,
and we only know about the people who have been caught.

Old July 12th 17, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 9:45:12 AM UTC-5, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

The Cambridge M10 (from which came the M20) was only secure in the .CAI
file, the .IGC file was not secure, something Dave Ellis promised to fix,
but never did. The M10 was the first, later recorders all had secure .IGC
files.

We Learn.

But to assume that all pilots are honourable has been proved to be wrong,
and we only know about the people who have been caught.

Didn't get to fly Sunday, and haven't gotten to checking your suggestion yet, Tim. As I recall, and I am sure you can correct me if I am wrong, the CAI Model 10/20/25 were all secure in .cai, but the creation of the .igc was not. However, they were done BEFORE the standard had been established. Dave Ellis said he would remedy the situation, but moved on the to 302, where he did remedy the situation regarding the .igc format, but did not go back and "fix" the issue for the 10/20/25. Sort of like why Schempp-Hirth didn't go back and do a gross weight increase on the N3 when they had the N4 out. Why go back and improve something you aren't making any longer? Support it, yes. But make it better?

To my eye, this whole thing came about as those running the OLC set out to "punish" CAI for not doing as they said they would and making a secure conversion for files from the 10/20/25. Work-arounds were developed and used, and then it came down to a different workaround and a FEE to be paid to OLC.. As I recall, ClearNav stepped up and developed a final workaround, and paid the FEE to OLC so the legacy loggers could continue to be used.

And my question was and still is, "Has anyone recently been able to upload and get a valid flight using a CAI 10/20/25 logger and the ClearNav provided conversion program?" Trying to figure out if it is a problem on my end, or on OLC end. If it is on their end, I think I am done. If it is on my end, I need to figure out what I am doing wrong or what is wrong with the loggers I am using (3 flights, two different loggers used).

As far as "trust", they accept files from an app on a phone as valid, but not from a logger that is still acceptable for getting badges and records up to some level in the USA. And as Dennis said, "We ain't getting no girls, prize money or anything like that from OLC points." I upload to push myself and others in USA Region 10.

Maybe I can check things later, but there are hotter things I am dealing with right now.

Thanks,

Steve

Old July 12th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 8:17:47 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:

Maybe I can check things later, but there are hotter things I am dealing with right now.

Thanks,

Steve

Dealing with the fame and fortune of OLC participation?
The paparazzi?
And anyone with that many aircraft must be dodging hordes of women!

Foolish: The rules like only having 48 hours to submit, replace or even add comments, and if the logger is not gold standard you don't get OLC League credit.
Counterproductive: No smiley next to our names (and others) any more.
Jim
Old July 12th 17, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:17:47 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Steve after first reading your post I posted my last flight using the Model 20 and the cai conversion program successfully. I normally upload the IGC file from my Oudie unless i want to use it for a badge. Then I would need to use the cai converted file. And yes ...lets make this as easy and cheap to users as possible... if someone cheats well they have to live with it.

Dennis

DC
Old July 12th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:42:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Steve after first reading your post I posted my last flight using the Model 20 and the cai conversion program successfully. I normally upload the IGC file from my Oudie unless i want to use it for a badge. Then I would need to use the cai converted file. And yes ...lets make this as easy and cheap to users as possible... if someone cheats well they have to live with it.

Dennis

DC

Thank you, Dennis. Sounds like the problem is somewhere on my end. Going to have to dig in and find it.

As far as "cheating" on OLC goes, remember the guy who was submitting logs made via Condor? Those were "OK", but Cambridge files are no good. :-)

Steve Leonard
Old July 12th 17, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I have a few flights I have made in my mind, too bad I can't submit those, they were epic!