Tom Knauff's newsletter

Old June 30th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tom Knauff's newsletter

Has anyone read this? What is your opinion? Tom Knauff certainly
doesn't provide any facts to support his conclusions. The following
statement in particular should anger each glider pilot, CFIG and
examiner: "The point of this is the demonstrable fact that most glider
pilots do not have the fundamental knowledge to fly safely. (Perhaps
with the exception of very controlled circumstances.)"

When I questioned him on this he simply offered the following:“Oh, by
the way, the test results demonstrate the point.”

Really? What tests? Where’s the empirical data? Has he just perused
NTSB reports or is it firsthand knowledge? Does he speak of transition
pilots or “from scratch” students. Why does he only mention glider
pilots and not general aviation? What has he done to change the FAA
PTS?

I personally know two CFIG’s who have crashed with passengers on
board. One passenger died and the other passenger will never be the
same. One CFIG continues to fly and the other has withdrawn from the
glider community and, quite possibly, aviation altogether. Are they to
be included in Tom’s categorical statements? I think not.

It is not just glider pilots. It isn’t just the low time pilot.
Everyone makes mistakes. For Tom to make such broad statements just to
sell some books is reckless and doesn’t provide any real help to our
small community.

Is there a gap in training and real flying? You bet. So why isn’t he
tapping on the shoulder of every CFIG, DPE, and the FAA?

His offhand comments smack in the same style as John Scherer’s
commercials for the Video Professor; “Buy my product.”

Warren

The complete newsletter:
Several of you have asked for answers to the questions, and want more
questions.
At the end of most chapters of the first training manual, "Glider
Basics From First Flight To Solo," there are important end of chapter
questions.
Also, "The Bronze Badge Book" has nearly 300 important questions and
answers.
You can order these and other books from our web site listed below.
The point of this is the demonstrable fact that most glider pilots do
not have the fundamental knowledge to fly safely. (Perhaps with the
exception of very controlled circumstances.)
I recently had a person contact me about flight training. He explained
that he did not need any ground school because he was going to take
the FAA written test before arriving at our school. I expect him to go
elsewhere for his training.
Everyone gets a score on the FAA test in the high 90s because the
questions and answers are available to them. Unfortunately, the FAA
written test does not ask questions like, "Why does an aircraft have a
rudder?" Or, "What color field is generally best for an off field
landing?" Or, "At what altitude can you see cow's legs?"
Thomas Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies
Ridge Soaring Gliderport
3523 S Eagle Valley Rd
Julian, Pa 16844

Phone 814 355 2483

http://www.eglider.org
Old June 30th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

If you do not not like what Tom has to say in his news letter,
unsubscribe. He is
entitled to his opinion, but I believe that he his right.

Is this the first news letter that you have read from Tom Knauff?

In previous new letters, Tom said they he was giving the test to CFIGs
in the
Refresher Clinics and they were the ones failing his general questions
test.

Tom does provide training to the FAA. I read that he was doing some
special
training with them this year.

I believe that they are many pilots that after they get their license,
do very little
to further educated themselves to become a better pilot. The only time
most of
them fly with a CFIG is on their BFR.
During the past few months of taking my glider to other soaring
locations, I have talked
with some glider pilots that I would consider to be unsafe. They had
very little knowledge
of airspace requirements and were flying in class A without any
clearance. They did not
even know what to say to ATC to request a clearance. A few other basic
items.
Oxygen Requirements were not understood.
Reading the Section Chart to locate a busy airway.
Did not know how to give a position report to ATC...

I helped a man assemble his glider which is similar to mine and I know
that he
probably never even read through his OM. He was clueless to the
assembly procedures.

I am a CFIG and I am always asking a lot of general knowledge
questions and receiving
the wrong answers. I recommend many of Tom Knauff's and Bob Wander's
books.
There is one book that I highly recommend from Dale Masters, Soaring
beyond the Basics.

Randy

Old June 30th 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 30 Jun, 04:32, wrote:

Has anyone read this? What is your opinion? Tom Knauff certainly
doesn't provide any facts to support his conclusions. The following
statement in particular should anger each glider pilot, CFIG and
examiner: "The point of this is the demonstrable fact that most glider
pilots do not have the fundamental knowledge to fly safely. (Perhaps
with the exception of very controlled circumstances.)"

Controversy sells. I'd just shrug and move on.

Ian

Old June 30th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The newsletter quoted was a response to an earlier newsletter, which
described a test first given at the Hartford, Connecticut SSA
convention probably 20+ years ago.

It was a ten-question test of things all glider pilots should know. No
trick questions. Everyone would agree all glider pilots should know
the answers. It was multiple choice.

This same test and similar tests have been given throughout the
country during conventions, CFI revalidation clinics, and seminars
with the same results.

Examples of the questions include:

During a left turn on aero tow, which side of the towplane should the
glider pilot see?

A. Left side
B. Right Side
C. Both sides equally
D. Which side does not matter as long as the glider is not too high.

During a steep, continuous left hand turn, how are the controls held?

A. Left Aileron, right rudder, back stick
B. Left aileron, left rudder, back stick
C. Right aileron, right rudder, back stick
D. Right aileron, left rudder, back stick

During an off field landing, what color farm field is generally most
desirable?

A. Light green
B. Dark green
C. Dirt color
D. Color is not important

I believe you would all agree the test includes subject matter a
glider pilot should know.

Over the years, the average score by licensed pilots has been 37%.

The glider pilot fatality rate is one of the highest of any activity.
The demonstrable lack of essential knowledge is a major factor.

If “Warren” does not like my choice of questions &/or answers, then
he should make up his own list of questions he feels are important and
present them at his club’s next meeting.

The result, will be better educated, safer pilots.

And, if you need help devising test questions, you will find lots of
examples in "Glider Basics From First Flight To Solo" and "The Bronze
Badge Book."

Yes, selling books I write, and teaching pilots to fly safely is how I
earn my living.

The first Glider PTS was written after we trained the FAA author at
Ridge Soaring Gliderport.

Tom Knauff

Old June 30th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 29, 11:32*pm, wrote:
[...]

While one might decate the degree, my opinion after 35 years of
training is that Tom is much more right than wrong.
Flight reviews and recurrent training are a great way to help improve
this situation.
Yes- he sells some books and promotes them.
Too bad more people don't buy and read them- or others like them.
UH
Old June 30th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

One of the problems with multiple choice is that it can't capture the
subtleties of the subject being examined, or at least that it requires
very careful question design.

Two of the three questions posted by Tom Knauff do not, in my view have
clearly right answers:

During a steep, continuous left hand turn, how are the controls held?

A. Left Aileron, right rudder, back stick
B. Left aileron, left rudder, back stick
C. Right aileron, right rudder, back stick
D. Right aileron, left rudder, back stick

I'm aware of a genuine debate between experienced and capable pilots
whether C or D is the right answer. From my own experience, it's
somewhat type-dependent as to whether a small amount of rudder into or
out of the turn produces the best climb rate.

During an off field landing, what color farm field is generally most
desirable?

A. Light green
B. Dark green
C. Dirt color
D. Color is not important

In the UK at least, the answer to this depends on the time of year. In a
wet April, definitely A or B, but only if you can see brown through the
green(I've been involved in retrieves where the glider parts had to be
carried to the edge of the field because the soil was so sticky that the
glider wheel jammed solid after a few yards rolling). In June, probably
C, but you won't find a C field in England in June unless some strange
kind of cultivation has been carried out, which might mean heavily
ploughed up clods of earth. A would be OK if it's short grass, but not
if it's long barley (much lighter than wheat, though yellowing now).

If my answers are reasonable, then we really don't know whether the 37%
score reflects the knowledge of the pilots tested or the differing
assumptions made when setting and answering the questions.
Old June 30th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
The glider pilot fatality rate is one of the highest of any activity.

I've been looking for accident statistics for gliding/soaring and haven't
come across any formal studies. So the assertion above comes somthing as a
surprise and it would be greatly appreciated if you can provide the
location of any supporting data. I know of some cross-modal studies that
indicate that helicopters appear to have a higher accident rate on a per
mile and hour flown than fixed wing aircraft, and that motorcycles are
more
dangerous than general aviation flying, but gliders weren't split out into
their own category in those studies.

Actually, cross-modal accident studies are, in general, hard to find so
I'm
always curious to know the source of any such claims.

It's confusing to address relative safety as it relates to the 'sport' as
opposed to the pilot. A glider, in and of itself, is neither dangerous or
safe. It's only when you put a human pilot in it and launch it into the air
that the activity can become dangerous. One statistic that comes through
loud and clear is that 99% of all glider accidents are pilot error.

So, I tend to agree with Tom Knauf. The safety issue almost entirely
involves pilot knowledge, skill and whether the pilot chooses to use them on
any particular flight. If you are to survive, you must accept that it's
only your knowledge, skills and a determination to use them on every flight
that will assure survival.

Flying is highly Darwinian. As a pilot you must know two sets of rules. One
set is, of course, flying regulations. The other set is Mother Nature's
laws - like gravity, weather and aerodynamics. Regulations are to keep you
safe. Mother Nature just wants to clean the gene pool. Cross Her and She'll
kill you without mercy.

Bill Daniels
"If you can avoid the really stupid mistakes, what's left is manageable."

Old June 30th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DP

On Jun 29, 9:32*pm, wrote:
[...]

I think Tom should be commended for speaking out about this subject.
It's certainly not the first time he's raised these points. After
reading similar comments from him years ago I traveled to Ridge
Soaring to be trained by him and learned first hand some of the
deficiencies embedded in my knowlege, technique, judgment, and prior
training. I have continued to try and meet the high bar he set for me
during those lessons. I've also had the opportunity to fly at many
locations, both clubs and commercial, and have observed activities
that seem to be totally in line with what Tom says. It seems to be
quite a stretch to think that his comments are merely a marketing plan
for his books! As for the scientific basis of his comments or of any
studies related to glider safety, you don't need to be in the sport
very long to know that they are certainly directionaly correct....and
that we should all strive to be better, safer pilots.
Old June 30th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 14:13 30 June 2008, Chris Reed wrote:
One of the problems with multiple choice is that it can't capture the
subtleties of the subject being examined, or at least that it requires
very careful question design.

Two of the three questions posted by Tom Knauff do not, in my view have
clearly right answers:

During a steep, continuous left hand turn, how are the controls held?

A. Left Aileron, right rudder, back stick
B. Left aileron, left rudder, back stick
C. Right aileron, right rudder, back stick
D. Right aileron, left rudder, back stick

My answer to this one is: Whatever it takes to keep the
turn smooth, continuous, and coordinated. After a while,
it shouldn't take any conscious thought - you just do what
needs to be done (Powdermilk Biscuits for breakfast
makes it possible, even for shy persons).

Jim Beckman

Tom Knauff's Newsletter [email protected] Soaring 0 January 7th 08 08:42 PM
Tom Knauff Newsletter Thomas Knauff Soaring 0 September 19th 05 04:02 PM
Nov 15 SSA E-Newsletter Online Jim Skydell Soaring 2 November 18th 04 03:20 AM
Name that newsletter JohnT. Home Built 4 July 8th 04 08:23 PM
Latest Newsletter Michael Coates Home Built 3 July 15th 03 10:04 PM