V-8 powered Seabee

Old October 31st 03, 01:06 PM
Barnyard BOb --

"Bruce A. Frank" of the no spin zone wrote:

wait, you say I am spinning the facts now! Obviously you are still
besting me at every turn. How dastardly of you.

No smiley?

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

--- DASTARDLY ---

1 : COWARDLY
2 : characterized by underhandedness or treachery

WoW....
You really have lost it, Bruce.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of flight

Old October 31st 03, 05:19 PM
Russell Kent

Eric Miller wrote:

"Russell Kent" wrote in message
Eric Miller wrote:
I think that's called "damning with faint praise" =D

N.B. the above should read "feint praise"

feint:
(n.) 1. a false show; sham 2. a pretended blow or attack intended to
take the opponent off his guard, as in boxing or warfare
(vi., vt.) 1. to delivery such a blow or attack

This message is intended to educate, not mock or degrade.

Russell Kent

The correct expression and spelling is "faint praise"; the praise isn't
false (a feint) it's weak (faint).
Notice that faint is an adjective while feint is not.

http://www.cuyamaca.net/bruce.thomps...aintpraise.asp
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=faint

Interesting. I'm now equally uncertain as to which is the proper phrase. I
can see where one might use "faint (weak) praise" or "feint (false or
deceptive) praise". A brief Google search failed to turn up a definitive
page. Numerous usages exist for both forms.

Notice that faint is an adjective while feint is not.

Irrelevant. Red is a noun. What part of speech does "red" play in the phrase
"roll out the red carpet"? It's an adjective, or more properly an adjectival
noun. So "feint" would be functioning as an adjectival noun for "praise".

As I am uncertain which form is the proper one, I retract my earlier
correction.

Russell Kent

Old October 31st 03, 06:06 PM
Bruce A. Frank

Gotcha!

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:38:20 GMT, "Bruce A. Frank"
wrote:

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

And my counterpoint is....
If this was an AIRCOOLED powered aircraft,
the failure could not possibly happen.

Keep on spinning away...
with talk of minimal damage, etcetera --
but, far too many times aircraft are totaled
and occupants do not walk away when
forced to land off airport. And sadly, when
it comes to landing on highways, they tend to
take their share of traffic innocents with them.

Barnyard BOb -- KISS - keeping it simple, stoopid

Yep, you are correct, BOb. Lycomings and Continentals never fail and of
the infinitesimal small number that might, no one will ever even get
hurt. This wasn't a point/counter point discussion. I was clarifying a
fact for Corky. I would hate to leave out a piece of information so that
you might say I was "spinning" the facts. A sin(spin?)of omission. Oh,
wait, you say I am spinning the facts now! Obviously you are still
besting me at every turn. How dastardly of you. Maybe one of these days
I'll consider this "fight" worth some indulgence of my time. But for now
I'll leave others the pleasure and just "spin" a few facts once in a
while.

If your remarks are for Corky... send him a private email.
Otherwise, your remarks here are fair game for one and all.

IF you and Corky ever ACTUALLY FLY your conversions.....
maybe your FACTS? will take on a more realistic perspective.
So far, you vocal RAH conversion advocates are ALL TALK
and NO WALK. ALL HAT. NO CATTLE. You guys point to what
you believe are 'successes' defined by some 'shoot from the hip'
criteria. MOSTLY what I see is...BULL****, so the flags go up.
If this is "BESTING" you, so be it. I make no apologies.

Worth YOUR indulgence?
Pardon me all to hell, your majesty.
While you and Corky just talk, talk, talk....
I continue to walk my walk - just like I have for 50 flight years.
Why should I give a rat's ass if you never INDULGE me, again?

When you two scare the **** out of yourselves sufficiently,
AND YOU WILL, I believe you may 'indulge' me...
...IF you survive your follies and your egos.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of flight.

--
Bruce A. Frank
Old October 31st 03, 06:14 PM
Bruce A. Frank

Last time I used a "smiley" with you BOb it still took six subsequent
posts to convince you I was joking. Obviously if you are besting me you
are doing something "dastardly." B^)

Old November 1st 03, 01:37 AM
Dave Hyde

Russell Kent wrote:

Irrelevant. Red is a noun. What part of speech does "red" play in the phrase
"roll out the red carpet"? It's an adjective, or more properly an adjectival
noun. So "feint" would be functioning as an adjectival noun for "praise".

And everyone knows that no air-cooled noun has ever suffered
a catastrophic loss of coolant. Water-cooled nouns are killers,
however, and should never be used in the same sentence as an
aviation-related noun. To do so tempts fate...and BOb.

Dave 'but can you say it in Klingonese?' Hyde

Old November 1st 03, 02:51 AM
Drew Dalgleish

Well I had my medical with the doctor that owns one of the subject
planes today. In our short conversation I asked what specific problems
he'd had with the conversion. He says the only problem has been with
the computer setting the fuel mixture too rich. They had a lot of
trouble sorting that out and are now running without using the O2
sensors. He and his father have owned this plane for many years
origionally with the franklin engine and later with a lycoming. He was
ready to sell the plane due to poor performance off the water and slow
climb rates but since doing the conversion he is very happy with the
performance now. His takeoff distances are greatly reduced, cruise has
increased by 5mph, climb rates are as high as 1500fpm. ( instead of
100fpm with the franklin on a hot day ) and his fuel burn has dropped
from 12 to 8.8gph. on autofeul.
Drew Dalgleish
Old November 1st 03, 07:38 AM
David O

Russell Kent wrote:

Interesting. I'm now equally uncertain as to which is the proper phrase. I
can see where one might use "faint (weak) praise" or "feint (false or
deceptive) praise". A brief Google search failed to turn up a definitive
page. Numerous usages exist for both forms.

AltaVista shows 96 occurrences of "feint praise" and 10,447
occurrences of "faint praise" across the web. While popular usage is
certainly not always an accurate measure of correctness, it can
sometimes provide reasonable clues when authoritative sources are
lacking. The adjectival form of "feint", meaning "feigned", is
archaic (1). Many expressions, however, use archaic words.
The best clue in this particular case is in the phrase itself. While
one could "damn" with faint (weak) praise, one would likely only
"deceive" with feigned (false) praise. IMO, the phrase just doesn't
make much sense using "feint". It could be argued that one could damn
with excessive or effusive feint (feigned) praise, but that is more
than the phrase in question suggests. Bartlett's Familiar Quotes has
this,

Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer,
And, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer;
-- Alexander Pope, Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot [1734]. Prologue to
Imitations of Horace, l. 193

Notice that faint is an adjective while feint is not.

Irrelevant. Red is a noun. What part of speech does "red" play in the phrase
"roll out the red carpet"? It's an adjective, or more properly an adjectival
noun. So "feint" would be functioning as an adjectival noun for "praise".

All my dictionaries show red as both a noun and an adjective. Your
use of "red" simply uses its common adjective form. An example of an
adjectival noun would be the word "village" in the phrase "village
idiot". I expect Barnyard Bob could have a field day with that
opening.

As a last resort in resolving such issues, I have found the newsgroup
alt.usage.english quite helpful.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

1: Webster's Third New International Dictionary - Unabridged

Old November 2nd 03, 07:01 AM
Barnyard BOb --

"Bruce A. Frank" wrote:

Last time I used a "smiley" with you BOb it still took six subsequent
posts to convince you I was joking. Obviously if you are besting me you
are doing something "dastardly." B^)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ONLY SIX?

I'm slipping.

Barnyard BOb - not into counting
Old November 2nd 03, 08:24 AM
Barnyard BOb --

wrote:

And my counterpoint is....
If this was an AIRCOOLED powered aircraft,
the failure could not possibly happen.

Keep on spinning away...
with talk of minimal damage, etcetera --
but, far too many times aircraft are totaled
and occupants do not walk away when
forced to land off airport. And sadly, when
it comes to landing on highways, they tend to
take their share of traffic innocents with them.

Barnyard BOb -- KISS - keeping it simple, stoopid

Yep, you are correct, BOb. Lycomings and Continentals never fail and of
the infinitesimal small number that might, no one will ever even get
hurt.

Flying is an especially unforgiving activity. No one alive is more
keenly aware that Lycoming and Continental have yet to produce
the perfect piston engine. Once again you miss the point and insult
me with your bias, naivete, arrogance, inexperience and verbal
gymnastics.

It is not from a lack of concentrated, concerted and systematic
efforts over the last 50 years that the perfect aircraft engine has
not been born of the aircraft engine industry. However, for you to
continue denying or inferring that these certified engines and their
marvelous records do not currently blow away anything you are
producing in your backyard is to deny reality and is the epitome
of arrogance and "dastardly" in its own right.

If you want to experiment with auto conversions
and do it without any lip from me..... IT'S EASY!!!!
Cease your dastardly propaganda concerning certified engines.
By definition, certified engines have PROVEN to be the least risk
to life and limb. No amount of spin can change this. Period.

LET ME REPEAT....
If you want to experiment with auto conversions
and do it without any lip from me..... IT'S EASY!!!!
Cease your dastardly propaganda concerning certified engines.
By definition, certified engines have PROVEN to be the least risk
to life and limb. No amount of spin can change this. Period.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of successful flight

Old November 2nd 03, 08:47 AM

Eric Miller wrote:
[...]

The correct form *is* "faint praise". With faint having the meaning of
'lacking in conviction'.

A 'feint' is a deception that is *intended*to*be*believed*. Something that
is intended to mis-direct, distract, draw attention _away_ from the real
issue. What Juan Jiminez routinely does. grin

'Faint praise' is issued with the intent that it *NOT* be believed. The
intent is that you believe the _opposite_ of what was actually said. By
stating it with a market 'lack of conviction', one calls attention to the
falsity of the statement.

Marc Anthony's speech on the death of Caesar is the archtypical example
of 'damning with faint praise' -- "..For Brutus is an _honorable_man_.
So are they *all*, _honorable_men_...."

The _last_ thing Marc Anthony wanted was for people to "believe him".
He _is_ 'praising' them, with the _intent_ of being 'not believed'.

human powered flight patrick timony Home Built 10 September 16th 03 03:38 AM
Illusive elastic powered Ornithopter Mike Hindle Home Built 6 September 15th 03 03:32 PM
Pre-Rotator Powered by Compressed Air? nuke Home Built 8 July 30th 03 12:36 PM
Powered Parachute Plans MJC Home Built 4 July 15th 03 07:29 PM
Powered Parachute Plans- correction Cy Galley Home Built 0 July 11th 03 03:43 AM