Night landings vs. day landings

Old February 11th 04, 03:34 AM
Bob

Gerald Sylvester wrote in message hlink.net...
I got a strange thing going on. I got my license a couple of months
ago. My day landings are smooth but not the smoothest. I do them.
i don't myself, a passenger or the plane but sometimes not greasers.
my night landings, every one of them, I can grease them in. Shouldn't
it be the opposite? I find this completely backwards as you have more
visual cues during the day. Anyone else have this 'problem?' obviously
if my day landings were that bad i wouldn't have been able to pass
my checkride. Strange.

Gerald Sylvester

An easy way to fix that problem is to go land at night on a wider
runway than you're used to. Then you'll flare to high and really wham
it down. :-)
Old February 11th 04, 05:25 AM
Nick Coleman

Gerald Sylvester wrote:

I got a strange thing going on. I got my license a couple of months
ago. My day landings are smooth but not the smoothest. I do them.
i don't myself, a passenger or the plane but sometimes not greasers.
my night landings, every one of them, I can grease them in. Shouldn't
it be the opposite? I find this completely backwards as you have more
visual cues during the day. Anyone else have this 'problem?' obviously
if my day landings were that bad i wouldn't have been able to pass
my checkride. Strange.

Gerald Sylvester

Same with me (night landings are greasers). My instructor said it's common.
As others have said, it's probably because your only cues, the lights at
the end of the runway, are the correct ones.

--
Nick

Old February 11th 04, 06:38 AM
tony roberts

my night landings, every one of them, I can grease them in. Shouldn't
it be the opposite?

My night landings are so scary that even I close my eyes.
Hmmmmm....... I think that I just worked out what I'm doing wrong

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old February 11th 04, 04:28 PM
Big John

Nick

Are you saying that "black out" landings (not using landing lights)
are smoother than day time landings? (Read your post)

Been there, done that, day and night, IFR and VFR (including
infiltration/exfiltration landings with no landing lights and no
runway lights) and landings other than daylight landings are not
normally smoother than run of the mill day landings.

Every landing is a critical phase of flight and max effort should be
made to make the transition from flight to ground operation as
precision (and safe) as possible.

Practice makes perfect.

Big John

----clip----

Old February 12th 04, 04:59 AM
Nick Coleman

Big John wrote:

Nick

Are you saying that "black out" landings (not using landing lights)
are smoother than day time landings? (Read your post)

No, I mean that my normal with-lights-on landings at night (what we fall
Night VFR; here in Australia we need a special rating to fly at night) were
typically smoother than landings during the day, and that when I commented
on it to my instructor, he said that is not uncommon. We hypothesised a
bit and came up with: less turbulence, and that landing at night forces you
to look to the end of the runway for perspective and height judgement, and
that produces a greaser.

My experience in the C172 was that the landing light is pretty useless in
the flare and so doesn't serve as a reference point. I do remember my
instructor emphasising that I should be looking at the end-lights at the
far end of the runway.

Been there, done that, day and night, IFR and VFR (including
infiltration/exfiltration landings with no landing lights and no
runway lights) and landings other than daylight landings are not
normally smoother than run of the mill day landings.

Sure, I'm only commenting on my experience. But I admit I have very limited
time at night.

Every landing is a critical phase of flight and max effort should be
made to make the transition from flight to ground operation as
precision (and safe) as possible.

Absolutely.

----clip----

Old February 12th 04, 06:38 AM
Big John

Nick

Wasn't trying to push a wet noodle )

Different pilots have different night adaption ability.

Cockpit lighting (red or white) makes a difference.

Phase of the moon makes a difference.

The airplane your flying makes a difference.

I list all of these to make the point that a single statement about
night landings may have a lot of modifiers that will effect it.

I have a lot of time in heavy iron (P-40, P-51, AT-6, etc) When you
flare in those birds you lose the lights at the far end of the runway
and use the landing lights and side runway lights to keep straight and
judge your height above ground.

With that background, when in GA, I still do the same which I am
comfortable with and have done for years even though I can most of the
time see the lights at the far end of R/W after flare..

To you and the others who have maxed night landings, a pat on the back
and keep up the good work. It's another big hurdle passed in flying.

Big John