Life glider hours with winch

Old March 22nd 19, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Life glider hours with winch

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 10:22:07 AM UTC-7, I wrote:

Taking the ASK21 maximum non-lifting mass of 410 kg as our metric, the ratio in question is 1000/410 = 2.43.

I think I miscalculated.

If we're considering the root bending moment caused by a launch that applies 1000 kg downward to an ASK21, we also have to consider the load applied by the non-lifting mass of the glider itself. The load being reacted by the wings is actually:

1000 kg delivered by winch cable
410 kg delivered by non-lifting mass of glider
------
1410 kg

The ratio 1410/410 = 3.44 is the equivalent g load of the bending moment reacted by the wings. Which puts us back in the neighborhood of the 3.5g I originally cited.

--Bob K.

Old March 22nd 19, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi José,

besides some exceptions (like Blanik or Romanian IS gliders), winch launches do not cause additional limitation of glider life times on top of the usual flight time limits.

Winch launching is a very common method in many European countries. The ASK13 of our club has close to 50,000 starts, 95% of them as winch launches. We safely take it to Vne, do basic instructions and spin trainings with it. There is no doubt that it can safely be flown within the approved operational limits. It has always been stored in a dry place and received a major overhaul 15 years ago.

If you there is any doubt about the airworthiness of a glider, it should receive a thorough inspection rather than being flown up to 50% of Vne.

Best regards,
Christoph

FS/T: Glider Winch Towline Chutes Vicarious Icarus Soaring 6 July 31st 17 10:20 PM
Motorglider hours same as glider? [email protected] Soaring 13 October 1st 15 04:56 PM
Glider Hours Walt Connelly Soaring 18 April 29th 11 10:17 PM
Biggest Glider Ever Launched via Winch? [email protected] Soaring 25 November 22nd 06 11:17 PM
Glider hours count towards ATP? Michael Soaring 1 November 9th 03 03:24 AM