Florida Soaring Conditions in August- Seminole

Old March 20th 19, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil McLaughlin[_3_]

Default Florida Soaring Conditions in August- Seminole

I have a work trip to Orlando coming up in August and have the option
to stay on for a few days afterwards.

I was thinking about visiting Seminole Lake and doing some flying out
of there.

My first question is will the weather be good to make it worthwhile? I
can see it could be quite hot and humid in late August!

I think because it will essentially be a long weekend I am looking at
that it wouldn't be worth going through the hoops to get a FAA license
and medical, which leads me onto my second question... Any Seminole
members with decent two seaters that would like to do some XC flying?

I might be mistaken but I dont think the club fleet has any high
performance two seaters looking at the website?

Background on me I'm UK based, UK issued SPL license, 700hrs+, 3
diamonds and plenty of XC experience, and not a terrible person to
have to spend time with in a two seater apparently

Cheers for any advice- need to book flights this week so any quick

Neil

Old March 20th 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Seminole Lake is not a Club, but rather a Commercial Operation. The PW-6 is probably the newest addition to their fleet.

Yes, Florida will be HOT and HUMID in late August.
Old March 21st 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neil McLaughlin[_3_]

Thanks for the emails with insights everyone, very useful- The
conclusion is I think it would be a better choice to add this onto the end

of a trip at a different time of year!

Old March 21st 19, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

What kind of high performance two seaters does your organization back home fly?
Old March 22nd 19, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rj

I have flown at Seminole Lakes,

While August is not ideal flying weather, there are some days that are good. It just depends on the local forecast. Typically, expect a hot daytime temperature and cumulus over development by 4 PM followed by a brief rain shower.

Start flying no later than 1 PM and expect to be back on the ground a few hours later before it starts raining.

If you are going to Orlando anyway, just keep an eye on the forecast.

Old March 22nd 19, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 8:30:04 AM UTC-4, Neil McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

August and September can be extremely wet, thunder boomers pop up with little notice. The inland temp of Orlando can make for a very wet and challenging day. Be prepared for a hot humid day, get an early start and enjoy the ride.
Old April 4th 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Unless a tropical storm elsewhere is breaking the normal Bermuda High pattern with winds from the East, it probably won't be great. Also there are occasional days that are dry - watch the GOES water vapor loop a day or two ahead if time to see if the "hot" colors are heading our way:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/goe...10&length=1 2