They call it the impossible turn.

Old February 14th 10, 02:53 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default They call it the impossible turn.

In article ,
says...

Dave Doe writes:

I'm asking you to back up your claim, as without any evidence, it's just
your opinion. I'd say most readers don't value that very much.

I suggest that you and other readers do research rather than listen to me
alone. It's the only safe way to learn things. I am fully confident that if
you do research among reputable and reliable sources, you'll find that my
opinion agrees with them. However, you should not take my word for it--you
should verify for yourself.

I know the sources will agree with me because I got my position from those
same sources. I stand on the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes.

Well you'll be pleased to learn that I do considerable research on the
internet. However I'm in no position to be able to research your
sources, as I do not know what sources you are using and my sucess rate
at mind-reading works out at a percentage equal to pure co-incidence.

So I would be grateful, though I do not intend to ask a forth time, if
you could state your sources. I think that would be much easier, as you
already know what your sources are. Then I can examine them (and verify
for myself, your claim that
"
Then many pilots must not be training enough, because they misjudge that
point all the time.
"

is correct, or incorrect).

--
Duncan.
Old February 14th 10, 03:46 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave Doe writes:

Well you'll be pleased to learn that I do considerable research on the
internet.

Good.

However I'm in no position to be able to research your
sources, as I do not know what sources you are using and my sucess rate
at mind-reading works out at a percentage equal to pure co-incidence.

One doesn't research _sources_, one researches _assertions_, looking for
independent corroboration among sources that one trusts. But you already know
that ... since you do considerable research on the Internet.
Old February 14th 10, 06:08 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Logajan writes:

Sure - you understood what I was talking about, but clearly Mxsmanic had no
clue or he wouldn't have made the sweeping claim he did.

The topic of the thread concerns the high risk of attempting to return to an
airport after losing all power after takeoff. It's hard to see how this would
be applicable to gliders, since they do not take off and they are not powered.

They certainly do take off, or how would they get into the air?

And they are powered by an engine at the end of a rope.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 14th 10, 08:26 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Feb 15, 12:36*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

The topic of the thread concerns the high risk of attempting to return to an
airport after losing all power after takeoff. It's hard to see how this would
be applicable to gliders, since they do not take off and they are not powered.

Winch rope breaks - aerotow rope breaks.
I'm amused at the claim that gliders do not 'takeoff' and there's now
a number of powered gliders out there..
Mixedups research stops at the GA gate
Old February 14th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

They certainly do take off, or how would they get into the air?

By being towed there.

And they are powered by an engine at the end of a rope.

See above.
Old February 14th 10, 08:32 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

george writes:

Winch rope breaks - aerotow rope breaks.

Even then, it's not quite the same as being in a powered airplane. A glider is
designed to fly without power; a powered aircraft is not.
Old February 14th 10, 09:02 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting

george writes:

Winch rope breaks - aerotow rope breaks.

Even then, it's not quite the same as being in a powered airplane. A glider is
designed to fly without power; a powered aircraft is not.

Yep, powered aircraft stop flying and just flutter willy-nilly to the ground
without power.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 14th 10, 09:29 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_4_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

george writes:

Winch rope breaks - aerotow rope breaks.

Even then, it's not quite the same as being in a powered airplane. A
glider is designed to fly without power; a powered aircraft is not.

The gliders power is provided by another a/c initially, and then it's
switched to natural power in the form of gravity.
If a "normally" poowered a/c was not designed to fly without power, it
would drop like a stone when the engine is cut.
It is not the engine that makes the a/c fly. It is the wings. The
engine simply pulls the a/c through the air, as does gravity/inertia in
the case of a glider.
The only difference is that a glider is usually much lighter, and the
wings longer. The glide ration, due to these differences is different
to a powered a/c. The principles are the same.
If a powered a/c loses power on take off, it lacks sufficient forward
motion and altitude to maintain flight. When a glider loses power (it's
tow plane), on take off, it lacks sufficient forward motion and altitude
to maintain flight.
Same same.
Crash Lander