WWGC.

Old January 17th 20, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Default WWGC.

Interesting news, the entire Australian team has been penalised for unsporting behaviour on the last day.. A protest is currently being heard.
The bun fight at the Keepit corral.
Old January 17th 20, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 7:21:51 PM UTC-8, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Interesting news, the entire Australian team has been penalised for unsporting behaviour on the last day.. A protest is currently being heard.
The bun fight at the Keepit corral.

It's been a supreme "vibe slayer" at the comp. Nobody I've spoken with likes it.
I feel bad for the team pilots, espeially Jo Davis. She flew a fantastic comp.
Team management gets what they ask for. Too bad the pilots pay.
Jim
Old January 17th 20, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 9:52:48 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 7:21:51 PM UTC-8, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Interesting news, the entire Australian team has been penalised for unsporting behaviour on the last day.. A protest is currently being heard.
The bun fight at the Keepit corral.

It's been a supreme "vibe slayer" at the comp. Nobody I've spoken with likes it.
I feel bad for the team pilots, espeially Jo Davis. She flew a fantastic comp.
Team management gets what they ask for. Too bad the pilots pay.
Jim

Each Australian competitor penalized 250! points. Ouch.
Old January 17th 20, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Hundreds of people around the world are trying to follow the scores and then we see on scoreboard "unsportsmanlike behaviour" with penaltys that actually change scores in every class, even one medalist is dropped to 4th place.

AND NOT A WORD OF EXPLANATION. Just business as usual. Here are some nice pictures from the grid.

Old January 17th 20, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

perjantai 17. tammikuuta 2020 8.47.08 UTC+2 krasw kirjoitti:
Hundreds of people around the world are trying to follow the scores and then we see on scoreboard "unsportsmanlike behaviour" with penaltys that actually change scores in every class, even one medalist is dropped to 4th place.

AND NOT A WORD OF EXPLANATION. Just business as usual. Here are some nice pictures from the grid.

And now people are asking about this via their FB page and yes you guessed it, they are deleting comments.
Old January 17th 20, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 12:32:37 PM UTC+2, krasw wrote:
perjantai 17. tammikuuta 2020 8.47.08 UTC+2 krasw kirjoitti:
Hundreds of people around the world are trying to follow the scores and then we see on scoreboard "unsportsmanlike behaviour" with penaltys that actually change scores in every class, even one medalist is dropped to 4th place.

AND NOT A WORD OF EXPLANATION. Just business as usual. Here are some nice pictures from the grid.

And now people are asking about this via their FB page and yes you guessed it, they are deleting comments.

Well this is awkward:

https://segelflug.aero/blog/blog/202...ns-sportiness/

Google translated:

"Now back to the tracking systems:

One of them was tried out here in the competition and enabled all pilots to be shown with a delay of 15 minutes. At the end of the flight, this was reduced to 0 min.

Here is an example from the club class of the last day of the classification. The tracking time is shown at the top right. This picture then appears 15 minutes later on our displays.

Unfortunately, it now turned out that the Australian team, represented by *********, used the "raw data" for their pilots without delay.

The team captains rated this as "unsporting behavior". In the following hours there were four protests from different teams, the outcome of which we wait and then publish. (First of all, there was a point deduction of 250 points for every Australian pilot on the last day of the evaluation).

Our opinion is: "We don't just see the bypassing of the time delay as individual, sporty trifles. It affects all gliding sports in terms of fairness and sportiness, which we are committed to."
Old January 17th 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 10:48 17 January 2020, krasw wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 12:32:37 PM UTC+2, krasw wrote:
perjantai 17. tammikuuta 2020 8.47.08 UTC+2 krasw kirjoitti:
Hundreds of people around the world are trying to follow the

scores
and=
then we see on scoreboard "unsportsmanlike behaviour" with

penaltys that
a=
ctually change scores in every class, even one medalist is dropped

to 4th
p=
lace.
=20

https://segelflug.aero/blog/blog/2020/01/17/what-means-

sportiness/

Google translated:

"Now back to the tracking systems:

One of them was tried out here in the competition and enabled all

pilots
to=
be shown with a delay of 15 minutes. At the end of the flight, this

was
re=
duced to 0 min.

Here is an example from the club class of the last day of the
classificatio=
n. The tracking time is shown at the top right. This picture then

appears
1=
5 minutes later on our displays.

Unfortunately, it now turned out that the Australian team,

represented by
*=
********, used the "raw data" for their pilots without delay.

The team captains rated this as "unsporting behavior". In the

following
hou=
rs there were four protests from different teams, the outcome of

which we
w=
ait and then publish. (First of all, there was a point deduction of

250
poi=
nts for every Australian pilot on the last day of the evaluation).

Our opinion is: "We don't just see the bypassing of the time delay

as
indiv=
idual, sporty trifles. It affects all gliding sports in terms of fairness
a=
nd sportiness, which we are committed to."

All goes back to what we want from a WGC? - the sport seems to
have 'morphed' from one where it was predominately individual
against individual using very little external aids into one where it
seems team flying and external team direction using sophisticated
technology as become the norm, if the team can afford it. IGC needs
not to be lead by the manufacturers and larger well funded
European teams -which unfortunately its seems is too often the
case.

Old January 17th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 10:30:04 AM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:
[...]

Let the well funded Europeans run WGCs, makes American victories sweeter.
Old January 17th 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 2:48:24 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
[...]

Now that the information is out, it seems a fair penalty. Unfortunate for the pilots, impossible to know the degree of complicity there, if any. I'd feel like a pretty big idiot right now if I was the coach of Jo Davis. This took her off the podium at a world championship. That will sting.
The advantage of cheating was used (to whatever degree) every day of the contest and so to me the penalty now seems appropriate. That said I really have no idea, I'm not a contest pilot, but it would equate to about a 20 point penalty per day, eliminating any real likelyhood of winning, which it should.
Seems obvious to me that any reasonably honest soul can see that hacking the tracking info is unfair play, and would obviously be illegal. The 15 min.. delay is there for obvious reasons. It's a soaring contest, not an IT contest. It doesn't need to be written down anywhere to be enforced. It's cheating.
And it seems there is a larger and larger group of people that are able to come up with justifications for what is obviously that.

Pre- WWGC and Australian Club and Standard Class Nationals JS[_5_] Soaring 3 January 9th 19 11:53 AM
WWGC Duster Soaring 14 June 3rd 17 04:17 PM
Podium Finish for Sarah at WWGC!! Linwood Stevenson Soaring 6 July 15th 13 01:56 PM
2013 WWGC .... Ron Gleason Soaring 9 July 12th 13 09:51 PM
Few impressions from WWGC 2009 Szeged (HUN) db Soaring 1 August 4th 09 03:01 PM