Low and high altitude airways

Old September 4th 03, 11:37 PM

"K. Ari Krupnikov" wrote:

I've never flown a jet airway (and probably never will, except on an
airliner), but here's a question. There are fewer J routes than V, and
they connect fewer navaids. So it can happen that your destination is
quite far from the nearest high-altitude navaid or interaction. Do you
still file direct from the closest high-alt waypoint, go direct to a
nearby navaid, or use low-altitude routes for your arrival?

Ari.

If the destination is a major airport there will usually be a
high-altitude VOR in the proper position. Or, there will be a STAR
routing which, although it may use low-alitude VORs, it has been flight
inspected to be useable at the altitudes expected.

For flights into remote areas that may not have a nearby high VOR (unusal,
but possible) filing of a Victor airway for the last 200 miles, or so, is
acceptable, or even "the radials of V-999."

Old September 5th 03, 01:18 AM
JerryK

About 40% of my flying is above FL180. I usually just file direct from the
end of the DP to point along the approach, or perhaps a point from which I
believe the approach will begin. Thus far I have never been give a
clearance with a jet airway. However, I file /G and I am based on the West
Coast. People that I know in the NE seem to get jet airways in their
clearance. However, they very seldom fly the airway that far. They are
usually cleared direct early in the procedure.

As far as filing goes, the people I know in the NE will file the jet airway
to the nearest point to the expected approach or as close as they can, and
then file either direct or Victor airway from that point to the destination,
or a waypoint near the destination.

jerry

Old September 5th 03, 01:52 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"K. Ari Krupnikov" wrote in message

I've never flown a jet airway (and probably never will, except on an
airliner), but here's a question. There are fewer J routes than V, and
they connect fewer navaids. So it can happen that your destination is
quite far from the nearest high-altitude navaid or interaction. Do you
still file direct from the closest high-alt waypoint, go direct to a
nearby navaid, or use low-altitude routes for your arrival?

Any/all of the above, and STARs as well.

Old September 9th 03, 01:18 AM

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Since Victor airways don't exist above 17,500, that is one way of filing

the
route without filing an airway that doesn't exist for the flight levels.

More
typically, that is the way ATC will issue a clearance to fly a Victor

airway
when in the flight levels. If they have you on radar it is a perfectly
acceptable practice. It works well in Montana, but not very good in New

Jersey.
;-)

Not nessesarily. I get cleared on Victor airways above FL180 in SoCal all
the time.

Mike
MU-2

I don't doubt it for a moment. Nonetheless, controllers can't change FARS.
Victor airways don't exist up there. They used to state "via the radials of..."
but that's too much work these days.