GARMIN GNC 300XL TSO - Using the PC Interface

Old July 7th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
KevinBlack

Default GARMIN GNC 300XL TSO - Using the PC Interface

Hi,

Club aircraft has a GARMIN GNC 300XL TSO which according to the spec, has a
PC interface. Is there any software out there that I can run from a PC to
enter routes, waypoints etc directly into the device? Having a PC interface
is one thing, being able to use it without resorting to the SDK is another.

Not sure whether the device came with the appropriate cable, but I assume
you can buy one from Garmin.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old July 7th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

It does not have a PC interface, but you can pull it out of the panel and
hook it up to a 12 volt power supply......that Garmin will sell you or you
can buy at Radio Shack.

Then you can program all the user waypoints and routes while in "simulator"
mode. This is also a good way to learn exactly how to use the somewhat
outdated and unfriendly user interface.

Karl, IFR GPSs I've owned and learned.......

GPS 155 (really bad software)
GPS 155XL, 300XL (slightly better software)
GNS 430 (Vastly superior software, but far from great!)
CNX 80 (Great software, but steep learning curve for non-FMS trained pilots)

"Curator" N185KG

Old July 7th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
KevinBlack

Karl,

Thanks, we have it out of the panel with an appropriate power supply. I was
curious about the PC software to achieve this? Apologies for my relative
ignorance, but what software do we run on the PC to generate the
routes/waypoints to upload to the GPS - or am I missing something
fundamental?

Cheers,
Kevin

Old July 7th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Kyler Laird

"karl gruber" writes:

It does not have a PC interface,

....and yet one of the optional accessories is "PC Software/Interface
Kit".
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GNC300...ilotsGuide.pdf
Why would Garmin say that if it does not have a PC interface?

--kyler
Old July 8th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Kyler Laird

Scott Skylane writes:

It appears that the only options are for *outputting* to a PC, such as a
moving map program, but not for input of routes, etc.

That sure is lame. So what's the software in the "PC
Software/Interface Kit"?

This is one of the reasons why I'm staying away from panel mounted GPS
for now.

--kyler
Old July 8th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

What is TRULY lame is that one cannot build a flightplan on a 296 or 396 and
download it into a 155XL, or 430.

Best,
Karl
Waxer of N185KG

Old July 8th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"karl gruber" wrote:

What is TRULY lame is that one cannot build a flightplan on a 296 or 396 and
download it into a 155XL, or 430.

Are they wired together?

Old July 8th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

What is TRULY lame is that one cannot build a flightplan on a 296 or 396
and download it into a 155XL, or 430.

Are they wired together?

Yes!

Do they transfer either way at all?
A friend had a 430 and 195 wired together in a C210 and he said the
flight plans would transfer, but I don't remember which way(s).
Old July 8th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

The 430 will talk to the 396, I think! The 396 also accepts TIS data from
the 330 transponder.

Best,
Karl