Whats in YOUR toolbox?

Old October 20th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Travis Beach

Default Whats in YOUR toolbox?

Just got my first sailplane...what kind of tools do
you carry everytime you go to the airfield to fly?
Whats in your toolbox?

Beach

Old October 21st 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_2_]

Travis Beach wrote:
Just got my first sailplane...what kind of tools do
you carry everytime you go to the airfield to fly?
Whats in your toolbox?

White tape. :-)

Phillips and regular screw drivers, crescent wrench, pliers, LPS2 lube.
When it took more, I figured it would take up my flying time, so I'd
take the glider home.

Shawn
Old October 21st 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Travis Beach wrote:
Just got my first sailplane...what kind of tools do
you carry everytime you go to the airfield to fly?
Whats in your toolbox?

Beach

First point -

Good tools are like gold. Don't take them to the airfield, things develop wings
at airfields. People borrow stuff, and generally remember to return them. My
record is a leatherman that came back after 16 months. (It has my name engraved
on it - and the user eventually noticed it was not his)

I have a cheap set of sockets and combination wrenches, alan keys, screwdrivers.
It helps to have two of the more common sizes. One thing that may cause you
some difficulty, depending on location, is that most glass toys are made in
Europe with metric fasteners.

Most useful thing in the tool box is probably a digital multimeter. It is
amazing how often the electrical bits are doing something puzzling...

Don't forget the hand cleaner, and cleaning kit for the glider.
Old October 21st 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

In addition to the above excellent suggestions,

A foot operated tire pump, tire pressure gauge, and a valve extension if
needed.
Needle nose pliers, small needle nose vise grip, small regular vise grip.

For a contest away from home, everything short of my lathe!
--
Hartley Falbaum
DG 800B "KF" USA

Old October 21st 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Butane gas powered soldering iron
Wire strippers
Cheap metric socket set from PepBoys
Cheap leatherman that you won't worry about losing
Microfiber cleaning cloths. One for the canopy (keep this on top of your
instruments, under the glare shield), one for cleaning the wings, one for
cleaning grease off your hands.
Hammer in case you have to help assemble a 2-33

. ..

Old October 21st 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
. ..
In addition to the above excellent suggestions,

A foot operated tire pump, tire pressure gauge, and a valve extension if
needed.
Needle nose pliers, small needle nose vise grip, small regular vise grip.

For a contest away from home, everything short of my lathe!
--
Hartley Falbaum
DG 800B "KF" USA

In addition to the above excellent suggestions,

*IF* you consider your hangar to be the "toolbox" . . . (g)

A 13 X 40 metal lathe
Vertical mill
Vertical metal cutting band saw
TIG welder
Oxy-acetylene torch
Bead blast cabinet
etc, etc,

It is important that the wife understand that, like weapons, tools are to be
considered "off budget" as far as a man's toy account is concerned.

--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Old October 21st 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_2_]

Bruce Greef wrote:
Travis Beach wrote:

Just got my first sailplane...what kind of tools do
you carry everytime you go to the airfield to fly?
Whats in your toolbox?
Beach

First point -

Good tools are like gold. Don't take them to the airfield, things
develop wings at airfields. People borrow stuff, and generally remember
to return them. My record is a leatherman that came back after 16
months. (It has my name engraved on it - and the user eventually noticed
it was not his)

Borrowed a crescent wrench from Bill Daniels once. I think it was two
years before he got it back. I got one of those "So that's where that
went" looks from him. Thanks again Bill. :-)

Shawn
Old October 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Travis Beach wrote:
Just got my first sailplane...what kind of tools do
you carry everytime you go to the airfield to fly?
Whats in your toolbox?

Beach

Keep your eyes open for a sale at Sears (assuming you are in the US;
otherwise, local equivalent tool store) . About once a year they have
a tremendous clearance on Craftsman "Mechanics" tool kits. You can
the 100-odd piece set that comes in a molded plastic case. Mine has a
permanent mounting slot I built under the tow vehicle seat. It
contains:

- Metric sockets approx M4-M14
- SAE sockets in all the usual sizes
- Metric and SAE allen wrenches
- 12 common driver bits (slotted, phillips, torx, square) and
associated driver.
- Lineman, slip joint, and needle nose pliers.
- Wire cutter.
- Ball peen hammer (great for coaxing out an axle)

I augment this with a small electrical toolbox containing fuses, wire,
assorted spade and butt-joint connectors, spare battery connectors,
soldering iron and solder, heat shrink tubing, ties, mulit-meter etc.

Total size of the above is maybe a footprint of 18"x12".

While you're in Sears at the sale, you can then pick up the drill
press, cutoff saw, 2 in 1 sheet metal brake and shear and other
necessary items.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 P3

Old October 21st 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Papa3 wrote:
Travis Beach wrote:

[...]

As the local "approved person" I did slowly build up a tool kit that weighed a
ton, and filled my boot. Then I realised that this involved me in continual
maintenance on other peoples gliders.

Now I like helping out- but eventually I scaled back to a "if it needs more than
this make an appointment" kit. Far better for everyone - no more Heath Robinson
stuff on the flight line , I get to fly, and my fuel consumption improved...

If you are including the glider spares then I do carry a spare inner tube for
both wheels on my glider, patches and vulcaniser, and some fuses, tape and
common fasteners. A spare battery to power the data logger and palm and a hand
held radio.

Not part of my tool kit but I always have a current first aid kit in the car
too. It is amazing how the club first aid cabinet always seems to have been
raided of whatever you need - and the user always intends to replace it , but
seldom remembers.

Just one note - if you are going to use that hammer on your airplane, have a
soft drift and keep the hammer to a reasonable size. Use lubrication, and
patience, after you have cracked the aluminium casing for your wheel is a bad
time to consider that you should have used a little better judgement. (I know
good judgement comes from bad experiences, but there are limits)

At the extreme end I was very glad of some others who had enough glass, epoxy
and microbaloons in their kits that we could field repair my wing at a recent
contest. There can't be too many people who have every thing from angle grinders
to mixing cups in their boot, "just in case".
Old October 22nd 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Papa3 wrote:
Travis Beach wrote:
[...]

Thank goodness, gliders take very little repairing compared to my
previous avocation (sports car racing). Still, I carry most of that
stuff, but just bought cheap stuff cheaply at Walmart, Schucks, etc.
Even with my motorglider, it gets used so seldom, that's good enough.
Every few years, I might have to borrow something like a power drill, or
go to the store and buy something. I can't think of any place where I've
flown (and that's all around the country, including Alaska) that didn't
have a Radio Shack and at least an auto parts store, and in truly
desperate cases, you can get almost anything shipped to you overnight.

I do carry a few special small items in case I have to remove the
engine, but I've never had to do it.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Whats in YOUR toolbox? Travis Beach Soaring 8 October 25th 06 06:17 PM
Mechanics Toolbox Stache Piloting 0 October 13th 06 04:16 AM
FS: Snap-on aviation style toolbox mike Home Built 0 October 18th 03 07:27 PM
FS: Aviation toolbox Snap-on KR-562 mike Aviation Marketplace 0 October 17th 03 02:45 AM