Garmin 1000 turn co-ordinator?

Old December 28th 03, 11:35 PM
John H. Kay

Default Garmin 1000 turn co-ordinator?

Hi.

How do the new glass cockpits (Garmin or Avidyne) indicate rate of turn,
and also whether the plane is slipping or skidding?

I know we can do the simple rule of thumb sum for standard rate turns,
giving the approx. bank angle for the speed we're using, but we're all
trained to check the little wings and the ball for reassurance as part
of the scan in conventionally instrumented aircraft.

On any picture of these new screens, I can't see where there is an
indication of the rate of turn, although I think lack of co-ordination
may manifest itself by another pointer coming away from the main one on
the AI. No article I've read, so far, on these screens mentions these
points.

--
John H. Kay
Old December 29th 03, 04:51 AM
Peter R.

John H. Kay wrote:

How do the new glass cockpits (Garmin or Avidyne) indicate rate of turn,

snip

I asked this question at a G1000 demo and was shown that the rate of
turn indicator is located just above the heading indicator. In fact,
the pointer of the rate of turn indicator is also the pointer for the
heading indicator.

Seeing that the pointer for both was the same, I asked the Garmin rep if
the rate scale, rather than the pointer, will move during a turn. He
did not know the answer, but in thinking about it, he agreed that it
made sense that the scale will move.

Regarding the "ball" to indicate turn coordination, I didn't have a
chance to ask about that.

--
Peter

Old December 29th 03, 06:42 AM
Teacherjh

Regarding the "ball" to indicate turn coordination, I didn't have a
chance to ask about that.

That's one of the dumbest things. The ball is probably one of the most simple
and reliable indicators in an airplane cockpit. To replace it with a slew of
electronics makes no sense at all. There's gotta be a real ball in there
somewhere.

Jose

Old December 29th 03, 10:52 AM
John H. Kay

Peter and Jose,

Regarding the "ball" to indicate turn coordination, I didn't have a
chance to ask about that.

Thanks for the first bit about the rate of turn.

The ball is probably one of the most simple
and reliable indicators in an airplane cockpit. To replace it with a slew of
electronics makes no sense at all. There's gotta be a real ball in there
somewhere.

Well, you'd think so, but apparently not.

Let's see if anyone else knows.
--
John H. Kay
Old December 29th 03, 02:31 PM
Mike Long

Under the arc at the topmost part of the screen (the arc is the rate
of turn indicator), you will see a small trapezoid. This is the "ball
indicator" and shows skids and slips by moving in the appropriate
direction. It's in a very logical place and is an easy-to-monitor
indication.

This photo cut off for some reason but you can still see the white
reference point for turn rate (top) and the trapezoid below for the
ball, both on the left hand screen very top.

http://www.pbase.com/image/24574624/original

Mike

Old December 29th 03, 03:12 PM
Jim Harper

Let's see if anyone else knows.

Well, I can't address the Garmin 1000, but I am finishing up an RV-8A
with a glass cockpit...Blue Mountain Avaition EFIS 1 and a Garmin-AT
CNX-80.

I have no commercial involvement with Blue Mountain (well, they DO
have my $20K, but other than that...). If you want to see some pics of
how the Flight Director looks, go to www.bluemountainaviation.com.

Regarding standard rate turns, but blue mountain has ticks on the
flight director that represent standard rate turns. Actually, and
pretty cool, it is "aware" of the airspeed, so it sets the ticks to
cause a standard rate regardless of how fast I am going. There is an
artificial ball at the bottom of the flight director.

For backup, I have also added an electic T&B, which has that old
reliable sprirt level ball on it.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Old December 29th 03, 06:50 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jim Harper wrote:

Regarding standard rate turns, but blue mountain has ticks on the
flight director that represent standard rate turns. Actually, and
pretty cool, it is "aware" of the airspeed, so it sets the ticks to
cause a standard rate regardless of how fast I am going. There is an
artificial ball at the bottom of the flight director.

Checking my understanding...

This is the equivilant of having "standard rate" marks on the AI where the
marks move based upon airspace?

If so: Nice.

- Andrew

Old December 29th 03, 08:19 PM
Mike Rapoport

Are you going to use any conventional instruments for redundancy? I have a
Murphy Moose kit on order and I am thinking ahead about what I want as far
as instruments and avionics go. I am considering both conventional and
glass cockpit types. I am weighing the weight and ease of installation
heavily against cost. It would be nice to forgo the vacuum system
altogether.

Mike
MU-2

m...

Old December 29th 03, 08:49 PM
Andrew Gideon

Andrew Gideon wrote:

This is the equivilant of having "standard rate" marks on the AI where the
marks move based upon airspace?

Wups. Air*speed*. Not "space".

- Andrew

Old December 29th 03, 09:07 PM
Ron Natalie

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message online.com...
Andrew Gideon wrote:

This is the equivilant of having "standard rate" marks on the AI where the
marks move based upon airspace?

Wups. Air*speed*. Not "space".

I thought it depended on who was chasing you (partially determined by the airspace) :-)