Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep

Old July 18th 04, 11:02 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "C J Campbell"
writes:

If the trasnponder automatically goes to standby
when the
airspeed is below stall, this could be a big problem.

There should be; I'll check it out.

The Garmin 330 Mode S transponder has this feature of Automatic ALT/GND
Switching. It is enabled/disabled during initial configuration. It can be
changed with some effort but not during flight.

Chuck
Old July 18th 04, 11:40 PM
Dan Luke

"Thomas Borchert" wrote:

If it didn't
have a side stick,

Have you flown it? A total non-issue to the vast majority
of those who do.

Yes (in a Lancair). Hated it.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 19th 04, 12:08 AM
Bob Noel

In article , "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

Why not? I'm right handed, but have flown yoke equipped airplanes
left-handed since I started flying.

I presume that the problem Bob foresees is how to write things down while
flying the airplane.

bingo.

--
Bob Noel
Old July 19th 04, 12:21 AM
C J Campbell

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Why not? I'm right handed, but have flown yoke equipped airplanes
left-handed since I started flying.

I presume that the problem Bob foresees is how to write things down while
flying the airplane.

I am not a big fan of writing down a lot of things, especially when IFR. It
gets your head down in the cockpit, increasing the chance of things like
spatial disorientation and mid-airs. I use both hands when writing, holding
a clipboard up at eye level. If the airplane is properly trimmed you should
be able to fly it for several minutes hands off, just using some rudder.
Besides, all these new airplanes have autopilots. If you have to write
something down, it is a single button push to engage a heading hold. The
Garmin G-1000 even has a built-in voice recorder so you can listen to the
last several clearances if you wish.

Old July 19th 04, 12:25 AM
C J Campbell

"Dude" wrote in message
news

How do we expect to grow general aviation if we REFUSE to change what we

are
doing to attract new pilots? Isn't this the definition of insanity?

Cessna
is unconsciously doing to aviation what Microsoft and IBM did to
technology - killing fast growth and innovation in favor of predictable
business.

No. Cessna is doing it deliberately. Cessna did not really want to re-start
manufacturing piston singles in the first place. They promised to do it when
some kind of tort reform was passed. Bob Dole got the tort reform passed and
leaned hard on Cessna to start building airplanes.

Cessna sees the construction of new airplanes as a threat to a very
lucrative business: building parts for old airplanes.

Old July 19th 04, 12:32 AM

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Making the equipment more
complex,

Yes, but is it? A GPS moving map approach is more complex than an NDB
approach? Or a DME arc? or anything else very complex? You sure? I'm
not.

You fly GPS approaches using the moving map? I use the CDI and the along
track distance cross-checking with the approach chart.

Once the approach is loaded from the database, and the pilot is headed
for the correct fix as per the procedure for the circumstances, flying an
LNAV approach is easier than flying an NDB approach, and far more
accurate. But, it is more difficult than flying an ILS approach and not
as safe. Flying a Baro VNAV approach (once all the database issues are
resolved) is very similar to flying an ILS and is about as safe.

But, so far as I know, no light aircraft has IFR-certified Baro VNAV.

Old July 19th 04, 02:12 AM
Bob Noel

In article , "C J Campbell"
wrote:

Besides, all these new airplanes have autopilots.

autopilots can break. I'd rather not have the autopilot be
a go/no-go item.

--
Bob Noel
Old July 19th 04, 02:13 AM
Bob Noel

In article , "C J Campbell"
wrote:

But it is a definite problem for some. I flew the Lancair ES.
I'm left handed. I wouldn't be able to fly a side stick from
the left seat.

I am left handed and flew the Cirrus from the left seat with no problems
at
all. It seemed very natural.

it's not the flying, it's the writing. I've flown the Lancair
from the right seat - no big deal flying.

--
Bob Noel