Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

Old October 4th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

I have seen several videos on youtube lately where the glider pilot holds the tow release handle during all parts tow. I've been told it is taught this way by some in the UK. Sorry to pick on you folks on the other side of the pond as I love your country and can't wait to come over and glide with you in the next few years.

It seems to me that holding the handle during aero tow is a recipe for disaster eventually.

We have all hit big bumps and turbulence down low on tow. Why risk accidentally pulling the release at 50ft or 100ft in the air? If you are saying it is so that you can immediately pull the handle if something goes bad on tow, it might not be a good enough reason due to the risks of a accidental release. Keep your hand on your knee or the flaps handle right next to the release and I bet you can pull it just as quickly and you don't have to worry about messing up a perfectly good tow down low. Am I missing something here?

Your thoughts? This just seems like a big safety mistake and I would hate for people who see these videos and then think it is the right and correct thing to do.

Have fun and fly safe,
Bruno - B4
www.youtube.com/bviv
Old October 4th 13, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

On Friday, October 4, 2013 12:36:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Or you can keep you hands on those pesky spoilers?

JP
Old October 4th 13, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Or you can keep you hands on those pesky spoilers?
JP

In an ASW19, 20 or 27 it is common practice (even mentioned in the POH) to start an aero tow with partially deployed spoilers to help keep ailerons effective at low speeds. At around 30 knots put in spoilers and move flaps from 2 to 4. Works great.

Bruno - B4
Old October 4th 13, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

In an ASW19, 20 or 27 it is common practice (even mentioned in the POH) to start an aero tow with partially deployed spoilers to help keep ailerons effective at low speeds. At around 30 knots put in spoilers and move flaps from 2 to 4. Works great.

Sounds OK in theory. An engineer probably came up with the POH entry, but...
Who has time to look at the airspeed, look at the runway, tow plane and keep it all straight plus close spoilers and change flaps at a certain speed? With our clubs 260 HP towplane it all happens fast! Ailerons seem to work fine in about 3 seconds.

Old October 4th 13, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 4, 2013 1:37:45 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
In an ASW19, 20 or 27 it is common practice (even mentioned in the POH) to start an aero tow with partially deployed spoilers to help keep ailerons effective at low speeds. At around 30 knots put in spoilers and move flaps from 2 to 4. Works great. Sounds OK in theory. An engineer probably came up with the POH entry, but... Who has time to look at the airspeed, look at the runway, tow plane and keep it all straight plus close spoilers and change flaps at a certain speed? With our clubs 260 HP towplane it all happens fast! Ailerons seem to work fine in about 3 seconds.

I do it all the time and have for many years. When aileron control is solid, close and lock the spoilers, then move flaps to tow position. In the '28, I skip the flap step obviously. 19 and 20 have big ailerons that work pretty quickly. Not so with 27.
If things start to go wrong, release the spoiler handle and pull the release.
No need to look at airspeed.
Not everybody has an overpowered tug.
UH
Old October 4th 13, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

*I* have the time.

Of course, if I had to:

1) Look at the airspeed.
2) Look at the runway.
3) Look at the tow plane.
4) Keep it all straight.

ad nauseum, I'd probably be reading the checklist as I careened merrily down
through the weeds.

Do you also feel that the nose hook is better than the CG hook because it
helps keep you straight on tow?

What ever happened to situational awareness and simply flying the freakin'
aircraft?

I'm wearing my flame suit, but I believe in what I said. There seem to be
simply too many "pilots" who want it all done for them electronically or by
rote. C'mon guys and gals. Learn to do it right and you'll enjoy it so
much more.

Old October 11th 13, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

I went solo in a glider in 1962 and for about 5 years after that my main
duties were that of winch driver undertaking about 50 launches per
weekend.In 50 years of gliding I have held or hold a CFS credited A2 Star
instructor category, a BGA Full Cat and Assistant Cat.I have been appointed
as the OC of awinch launched Air Cadet Gliding School, and CFI. I am
Currently DCFI at my club. I have over 10,000 launches the majority of
which are by winch. I have had no accident. I have released a glider at the
start of a winch launch on about 5 occasions after we started to move and
before we were airborne. I all cases my hand was on the release and was
because a wing was dropping. I all cases I was the instructor in the back
seat and I have no idea whether or not the wing drop would have been
recovered, I did not think it was prudent to wait to find out. I only
mention all this so that no one will be in any doubt that my next statement
is made with some knowledge gained by experience.

I have flown at many clubs and AC Gliding Schools and have observed
operations at many more. I can say that the winch operation at Portmoak,
The Scottish Gliding Centre is as efficient and safe as any I have seen,
and has always been so since I started visiting many years ago. Even the
launch round the pole was done in such a way as to be completely safe.

If anyone should know the primary cause of the cartwheel accidents I, and
many others would be glad to hear it. The wing drop is a symptom and the
actions of the wing runner do not appear to have any contribution to the
cause. In my opinion the most likely factors are aft fitted CoG hooks,
rapid acceleration, crosswind, too strong weak links, cable misalignment
and the pilot holding the aileron/rudder controls in any position other
than neutral or mishandling. I suspect that if only one factor is present
the result is not too serious but the presence of 2 or more factors is
likely to result in disaster but it does appear that no one really knows.
In those circumstances a very early release is the only action that will
mitigate the result and it is therefore sensible to be in a position to
release as quickly as possible. The events happen very quickly and even the
milliseconds or longer taken searching for the release can be too long. The
time saved by having your hand on the release can literally mean the
difference between life or death. As an aside on of the reasons for
removing the safe blind handle from ejector seats was to do away with the
time it took for a pilot to decide which handle to use. There is a time
penalty in deciding all actions, if you are holding the release at least
one decision/action is removed from the chain.

What concerns me is that some uninformed people have failed to grasp the
importance of holding the release (pun intended) and even worse have argued
against it. The danger is that people with less experience may not adopt
the procedure because of these irresponsible arguments and statements.

I flew an ASW 17 for several years and I did hold the flap lever on
aerotowing but I always had a paracord loop around my wrist and the release
knob. The use of air-brake to increase aileron effectiveness is unnecessary
on a flapped sailplane where negative flap, which has the same effect, is
available so the paracord loop would work for airbrakes as well.

Bottom line, holding the release from the moment the cable is attached,
whatever your method of tow is a sensible and safe practice. An inadvertent
release on the ground run is only likely to cause embarrassment and some
pushing and shoving, but at least you will be alive to do it.

Old October 4th 13, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

The UK recommendation is to hold the release during the start of a winch launch, due to the exceptionally short time available to avoid disaster by releasing if a wing is going down and you cannot prevent it with aileron. While this may not apply to an aerotow launch it is likely that pilots trained on the winch and flying unflapped gliders would do the same for an aerotow launch. I would expect pilots to take their hand off the release once comfortably clear of the ground. I have not heard of an inadvertent release.
Old October 4th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 17:44 04 October 2013, waremark wrote:
The UK recommendation is to hold the release during the start of a winch
la=
unch, due to the exceptionally short time available to avoid disaster by
re=
leasing if a wing is going down and you cannot prevent it with aileron.
Whi=
le this may not apply to an aerotow launch it is likely that pilots
trained=
on the winch and flying unflapped gliders would do the same for an
aerotow=
launch. I would expect pilots to take their hand off the release once
comf=
ortably clear of the ground. I have not heard of an inadvertent release.

The problem is on schemp gliders if the right wing goes down and you us
full
left stick and can't get the wing to lift you now can't get your hand to
the
release the next thing is an accident .
It happens very fast and before you say "won't happen to me" I know of a
fighter pilot and current glider pilot who cartwheeled a ventus .
My solution is 6 inch of parachute cord fastened round the release that I
can
hold loosely for those first 50feet or so .the transition from wing low to
crash
is so fast there is no time for anything .
Jon may