Tracker

Old June 19th 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Tracker

Actually, I found the MRX to be quite effective and, at 25% (or thereabouts)
of the price, I'm happy with it. BTW, I didn't miss the smiley face.

"Ramy" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:28:37 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Steve, bring it. I'll be towing Wed and Thu at Moriarty. I'll take it.

Dan

"Steve Koerner" wrote in message

$25 for my Spot 1 unit if anyone can use it. I've switched to InReach.

Spot 1 has much better battery life than Spot 2. My unit has a bit of

residue on the back from 3M Dual Lock that I used to aid its attachment;

functionally it's prefect though. I'll be at Moriarty Thursday and
Friday

and Hobbs Saturday.

Happy to read this Dan. Now we need to find you a good deal on powerflarm
so you can replace the Zaon you just bought :-)

Ramy

Old June 20th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

There are several good Android applications that are "Spot-like". I use "GPS Tracker". It has some advantages over SPOT.

* Chief advantage: it is free with no monthly service charge.
* Configurable on how often it sends coordinates down to 15 minutes....wait maybe that is a disadvantage as cannot go "continuous". They do this to improve battery life, turning on/off the GPS when needed.
* It is also nice so that you can locate your lost phone (AMHIK).

However, it is not as good as using SPOT (or Delorme's version) for several reasons.

* It uses terrestrial communications (cellular) which is less available while in the air.
* There seems to be no way to give someone a link so that anyone with the link can see where you are. Everyone has to have an account at http://www.life360.com and be approved by you to watch you. This is for security reasons.
* Little application support. But, hey, its free!

- John
Old June 21st 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:00:42 PM UTC-4, JohnDeRosa wrote:
[...]

John,

Get a SPOT or a Delorme InReach - it can (and did in my case) save your life

TA
Old June 21st 13, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

John,
Get a SPOT or a Delorme InReach - it can (and did in my case) save your life
TA

Agreed. And while you're at it, get a PLB as well (& no annual service contract). I carry both when flying.

http://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-Pe...locator+beacon

Craig R.
Old June 21st 13, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Today will be my first flight with my new (old) spot. I have had the PLB
for several months. My wife found a perfect zippered case with secure belt
clip which rides my parachute harness at the left shoulder. And, yes, I
checked the installation with the parachute manufacturer.

I got mine at Aeromedix for a few dollars less and, when they came (one for
my wife, too!) there was notice of a $50 rebate or a free survival kit. We
took one of each.

https://www.aeromedix.com/ACR-Resqli...eacon-GPS.html

"Craig R." wrote in message
John,
Get a SPOT or a Delorme InReach - it can (and did in my case) save your
life
TA

Agreed. And while you're at it, get a PLB as well (& no annual service
contract). I carry both when flying.

http://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-Pe...locator+beacon

Craig R.

Grumman S-2F Tracker 01 ŽiŠardo[_2_] Aviation Photos 7 March 19th 13 04:20 AM
B-17 and Tracker Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 February 12th 10 11:50 PM
Tracker Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 September 23rd 09 03:52 AM
Cable Tracker [email protected] Home Built 16 January 6th 09 09:39 PM
Grumman Tracker niceguy[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 November 9th 08 05:56 PM