2002 ASW 27B

Old October 28th 05, 01:40 AM
BTIZ

Default 2002 ASW 27B

I should have added.. LS4 9B made the cross country across Death Valley from
Jean NV to Lone Pine CA twice now on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend.
BT

"BTIZ" wrote in message
and why would the wings have to be 'profiled ' in 3
years since new?

Ooooh, that's a sore point for Schleicher owners -
thanks for poking at it. My -27 goes in for sanding
this winter. Spar shrinkage was starting to hurt performance.

9B

Sorry Andy... remind me to look for that if I every buy a used ASW.
I can understand the mechanical backup for no batteries on the GPS
loggers..
N52AB (Original 9B) is well past time for sanding and painting on the
wings.
But it serves fine as a club "transition to glass" ship and initial cross
country flying.
BT

Old October 28th 05, 02:53 AM
Eric Greenwell

wrote:

Well Eric, the Sage doesn't have a GPS or a audio. the B-40 does have
a audio, but no GPS and the CAI 302 does have a GPS and a audio.

One of the reasons I like my 302 is it does it all (KISS principle for
me). No redundancy, however, but I can fire up the motor and get home
(the ultimate redundancy).

The
B-40 and CAI 302 have a adjustment nob for audio volume. The CAI 302
and the B-40 do have different audio outputs, so it is very simple to
hear the difference. My right ear is trained to hear the B-40, and the
left ear is trained to hear the CAI 302.

What differences do you hear? Is one set for faster response than the
other, or it is a matter of different responses to gusts? I set the
audio on my 302 for a faster response than it's needle, so I do get two
"types" of information.

The 303 displays alot of
useful information which is used with the read out of the CAI 302 (if
you go to the CAI website you can study this information and maybe
increase your x-country speed) but the CAI 303 doesn't have a moving
map display, as does the Winpilot.

I use SeeYou Mobile, which is similar to Winpilot. I looked at the 303
info on the CAI website, and it had nothing that wasn't available on the
302 itself, or on Mobile. I've not used Winpilot in flight, just the
simulator. What does the 303 show you that lets you increase your XC
speed that you can't see on the 302 itself, or in Winpilot? Or is it a
matter of displaying different info on each instrument, to avoid
pressing buttons, and if so, what's on the 303, what's on Winpilot? I
bet I'm not the only pilot that's interested!

I have found the B-40 is great for
working weak lift,

Is it the audio or the needle that help the most?

the Sage CVA is great for when I see 14-20 kt
climbs in places like Ely, Parowan, or Alamogordo.

Haven't had that "problem"! Ely - maybe next year!

The CAI 302 is also
used as a speed to fly instrument, and that's alot more detailed than
I want to go into at this time. BUT Eric, the most important thing is
..its what I like. # 711.

I assumed that - just trying to learn what other pilots use, and why, so
I can make better choices. Two varios is common, three isn't.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 28th 05, 03:03 AM
Andy Blackburn

At 00:42 28 October 2005, Btiz wrote:
I should have added.. LS4 9B made the cross country
across Death Valley from
Jean NV to Lone Pine CA twice now on the Friday before
Memorial Day weekend.
BT

Glad to see the old girl is still putting in the XC
miles - many happy memories in that cockpit for me.
Does it still have the Blumenauer vario? Now there's
an artifact!

9B

Old October 28th 05, 08:34 AM

Eric, you really need to check that 303 again. Because it really
displays alot more information than the 302 shows. Read the manual on
it, or call me. With your KISS, that's you, what else can I say on
that, and its not me. For God's sake, keep posting on this, cause it
keeps my ad on the front page. Ya, remember, I posted this to show my
27 is for sale, not as a training topic. Hell, Eric, one guy sent me a
email, he's got 9 vario's, some rich, retired Airline pilot. Can you
believe that? My God. # 711.

Old October 29th 05, 02:25 AM
Tim Ward

wrote in message
ups.com...
Eric, you really need to check that 303 again. Because it really
displays alot more information than the 302 shows. Read the manual on
it, or call me. With your KISS, that's you, what else can I say on
that, and its not me. For God's sake, keep posting on this, cause it
keeps my ad on the front page. Ya, remember, I posted this to show my
27 is for sale, not as a training topic. Hell, Eric, one guy sent me a
email, he's got 9 vario's, some rich, retired Airline pilot. Can you
believe that? My God. # 711.

A man with one vario knows how fast he's climbing. A man with two is never
sure.

Tim Ward

Old October 29th 05, 04:53 PM

He who knows that he knows not is far wiser than he who knows not that
he knows not.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old October 29th 05, 09:47 PM
g l i d e r s t u d

I have 2 varios. I use 2 seperate flight computer running off of their
own GPS each on their own electrical system that are not connected. So
if my main system with 2 batteries go out. I will always have my
volkslogger and PDA to use to get home and more importantly score my
flight because it has its own battery. Plus that one has 2 flight
computer software's on it, so depending on my mood I can pick which one
I want.

Yes I charge all 3 batteries every night at contests.

If I was a big guy I would use the tail battery and have 4 batteries.

Redundancy is good when your trying to win.

Old October 30th 05, 01:41 AM
bumper

wrote in message
ups.com...
He who knows that he knows not is far wiser than he who knows not that
he knows not.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Huh?

bumper

Old October 30th 05, 02:53 AM
Eric Greenwell

g l i d e r s t u d wrote:
I have 2 varios. I use 2 seperate flight computer running off of their
own GPS each on their own electrical system that are not connected.

Are you using both varios during a normal flight, or just switch between
them if one has a problem? Same question for the flight computers.

So
if my main system with 2 batteries go out. I will always have my
volkslogger and PDA to use to get home and more importantly score my
flight because it has its own battery. Plus that one has 2 flight
computer software's on it, so depending on my mood I can pick which one
I want.

Which two programs do you use, and what would make you choose one or the
other?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA