GoogleGroups Acting Hinky?

Old April 27th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default GoogleGroups Acting Hinky?

On Apr 26, 9:21 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
On 4/26/2007 9:45:21 PM, Jay Honeck wrote:

I used a newsreader for years (and still could, on my home ISP,
Mediacom cable), but our hotel ISP is Qwest DSL, and they charge extra
for newsgroup access. Since I really can't justify paying extra hotel
money just to surf the newsgroups, I am forced to "get by" with
GoogleGroups.

WTF, Jay. Why did you ignore my post and selectively snip the other post that
recommended going with the free news service offered by one of this group's
own? Why are you whining about the extra cost of your ISP's newsgroup service
when there are free alternatives to both your own ISP's version and Google's
flaky service? Why is it that every six months or so you have to post about
your miserable experiences with Google's groups and then decline every bit of
advice suggesting quite capable and free alternatives?

--
Peter

And what is this altnerative that you keep mentioning? Care to share
a URL?

Old April 27th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 4/26/2007 11:23:34 PM, wrote:

And what is this altnerative that you keep mentioning? Care to share
a URL?

http://tinyurl.com/yt9bwq

(scroll to the top of the thread)

or

a very quick Google search turned up this page:

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

--
Peter
Old April 27th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

Peter R. schrieb:

I know you two are newsgroup nemeses, but [...]

well, at least we both agree to disagree. :-)

regarding my usenet access offer: to each his own. Take it and use it or
leave it.

But I am interested in which groups you all are subscribed (I want to
get a bigger picture and see which groups might be worth adding.).

#m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old April 27th 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
I used a newsreader for years (and still could, on my home ISP,
Mediacom cable), but our hotel ISP is Qwest DSL, and they charge extra
for newsgroup access. Since I really can't justify paying extra hotel
money just to surf the newsgroups, I am forced to "get by" with
GoogleGroups.

You don't have to get newsgroup access from your ISP! You can get free
or pay service from anybody you want, and just use whatever connection
you have handy. Specifically, this means that you could pay for
news service out of the "personal" bucket of money and just use the
connection at the hotel to access the pay news server.

If you don't want to spend any money at all, http://www.newzbot.com/
lists several free Usenet servers. Most of the free servers do not
allow posting, but if you just want to read, they work fine.

Matt Roberds

Old April 27th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
All day yesterday Google Groups showed the "newest" messages as being
more than 24 hours old.

There's lots of complaints on other groups as well. Something very
wrong has been happening there. Some even attributed it to censorship
(on the more controversial groups).
Old April 27th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Jay Honeck wrote:
All day yesterday Google Groups showed the "newest" messages as being
more than 24 hours old.

There's lots of complaints on other groups as well. Something very
wrong has been happening there. Some even attributed it to censorship
(on the more controversial groups).

I switched last week from my ISP's included service, because it was having
problems and later went down completly. But I was only on Thunder News for a
two days when it experienced the same progressive outtage.

Thinks seem normal here again, but who knows what's next.

Old April 27th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:13:27 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote in :

regarding my usenet access offer: to each his own. Take it and use it or
leave it.

But I am interested in which groups you all are subscribed (I want to
get a bigger picture and see which groups might be worth adding.).

Perhaps it is the anonymity provided by GoogleGroups, and the relative
inability of tracking who posts what to which newsgroups that makes
GoogleGroups so attractive to certain individuals. Or perhaps it's
GoogleGroup's inferior web-based user interface, and the lack of
necessity to configure the IP address of the nnpt server that some
desire.
Old April 27th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:52:18 GMT, wrote in :

Jay Honeck wrote:
I used a newsreader for years (and still could, on my home ISP,
Mediacom cable), but our hotel ISP is Qwest DSL, and they charge extra
for newsgroup access. Since I really can't justify paying extra hotel
money just to surf the newsgroups, I am forced to "get by" with
GoogleGroups.

You don't have to get newsgroup access from your ISP! You can get free
or pay service from anybody you want, and just use whatever connection
you have handy. Specifically, this means that you could pay for
news service out of the "personal" bucket of money and just use the
connection at the hotel to access the pay news server.

The cheapest service I found was Astraweb. $10 for 25 GB of bandwidth.
No time limit. Accessible with Agent from anywhere I travel.

I have scarcely scratched the surface of my 25 GB allowance since I read
text groups only. I shifted my primary allegiance to Supernews for
various and sundry reasons that are irrelevant here, but I still use
Astraweb from time to time when I'm on the road.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old April 27th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

wrote in :

regarding my usenet access offer: to each his own. Take it and use it or
leave it.

But I am interested in which groups you all are subscribed (I want to
get a bigger picture and see which groups might be worth adding.).

Perhaps it is the anonymity provided by GoogleGroups, and the relative
inability of tracking who posts what to which newsgroups that makes
GoogleGroups so attractive to certain individuals. Or perhaps it's
GoogleGroup's inferior web-based user interface, and the lack of
necessity to configure the IP address of the nnpt server that some
desire.

I love Google.

I'm grateful that they've preserved and augmented the deja archives.

I probably google newsgroups every day, if not six or eight times
a day.

I read and post through a news service provider using a Real Newsreader
(GARNA!) because that is so much more satisfying to me.

I understand that other people have different tastes and opinions ...

Marty
Old April 27th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:18:41 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in :

I'm grateful that they've preserved and augmented the deja archives.

I probably google newsgroups every day, if not six or eight times
a day.

I too am grateful that the content of Usenet is still on-line. But
I'm not happy with the restriction in search criteria imposed by
Google. Under DejaNews one could search on any text in the original
article including the header fields. Google thought we didn't need
that, and took it away. They obfuscate URLs. And Google's user
interface generally tends to get in the way, rather than facilitate
reading the news. I suppose that's why you and I don't use it except
for research.

GoogleGroups is also a portal for anonymous spam entry into Usenet.
GoogleGroups is not a responsible member of the Usenet community,
because they do not revoke access from users who post spam articles.
In the old days, if your site was a source of spam content, your
Usenet node would find itself disconnected. Progress... :-(