Lazy Eight's

Old June 24th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dick[_1_]

Default Lazy Eight's

After taking some rigorous Unusual Attitudes Training, now I can't do a
smooth Lazy Eight to save my soul G (or comfort my wife).

One item the course taught me was a Modified Wingover which allowed a blind
canyon 180* turn within a wingspan. Entry at 30* pitch & 30* bank proceeding
to 60* pitch & 60* bank at 90* point to entry. Then at 0 mph, the nose falls
without rudder assist and ball is too the side.

My procedure for the Lazy 8: entry at 15/15* P&B, then up to 30/30* P&B
at 90* to entry and down to 5-10 mph over stall using proper rudder control
and centered ball.

Unfortunately after I look left over the wing to line up with the entry
point and initiate first pitch/bank, I'm then at the 90* point and still too
fast.....

Advice please. Thanks, Dick

Old June 24th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Be sure your airplane is certified for 60 degree pitch!

Old June 24th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dick[_1_]

The course used a French Acro plane. My question is on the 30/30 in an
experimental..
wrote in message
ps.com...
Be sure your airplane is certified for 60 degree pitch!

Old June 24th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

seems to me the owner's manual on our Mooney says limits are 60
degrees bank and 30 degrees pitch. It also says the airplane should
not be spun.

I could be wrong about that.

As for practice of these manouvers? Do whatever you like. Probably it
would not be wise to post here, though, except as a hypothetical
question. There's nothing like a written record to influence courts or
insurance companies.

On Jun 24, 11:30 am, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:15:25 -0000, wrote:
Be sure your airplane is certified for 60 degree pitch!

No airplane is "certified for 60 degree pitch". Sixty degrees pitch qualifies
as an aerobatic maneuver. Airplanes *are* certified for aerobatics, but that is
solely a limitation on G-loading. Dick's description of the maneuver ("...60*
pitch & 60* bank at 90* point to entry. Then at 0 mph, the nose falls...")
sounds unlikely to exceed the positive G limits for normal category.

Finally, the maneuver where Dick describes reaching 60 degrees of pitch is a
blind canyon escape maneuver, where you suddenly discover you've got granite
ahead and on both sides. It's the choice of the maneuver or going
two-dimensional on the canyon wall. Might I gently suggested that if you're
ever faced with the choice between A) Death or B) Violating FAA regs, that you
select B)?

Ron Wanttaja

Old June 24th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog

"Dick" wrote in message
After taking some rigorous Unusual Attitudes Training, now I can't do a
smooth Lazy Eight to save my soul G (or comfort my wife).

One item the course taught me was a Modified Wingover which allowed a
blind canyon 180* turn within a wingspan. Entry at 30* pitch & 30* bank
proceeding to 60* pitch & 60* bank at 90* point to entry. Then at 0 mph,
the nose falls without rudder assist and ball is too the side.

My procedure for the Lazy 8: entry at 15/15* P&B, then up to 30/30* P&B
at 90* to entry and down to 5-10 mph over stall using proper rudder
control and centered ball.

Unfortunately after I look left over the wing to line up with the entry
point and initiate first pitch/bank, I'm then at the 90* point and still
too fast.....

Advice please. Thanks, Dick

What you're describing we used to call a split "S" entry. Roll over and pull
out - if you have elevation. Used to do it in an old Champ regularly. - no
negative g's. Not recommended for planes not certified, but if dying is the
alternative?

Who the hell's dumb enough to fly up a blind canyon below the rim?

Old June 24th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:36:11 -0000, wrote:

seems to me the owner's manual on our Mooney says limits are 60
degrees bank and 30 degrees pitch. It also says the airplane should
not be spun.

I could be wrong about that.

No, you are undoubtedly right. But there is no such thing as being "certified
for 60 degree pitch." The manufacturer can place any warning they wish in the
manual, but that's not the same as certification. The airplane is certified in
the normal (or utility) category, in the aerobatic category. But this is a *G*
limit, not an overt certification limit on bank or pitch angle. If Mooney said
the limits are 59 degrees bank and 29 degrees pitch, that STILL wouldn't make it
a "certification" limit.

From what I can tell, Part 91's only comment about aerobatics is that you have
to wear a 'chute...it doesn't seem to care about the certification category of
the aircraft. The 91.13 catch-all undoubtedly works, though.

As for practice of these manouvers? Do whatever you like. Probably it
would not be wise to post here, though, except as a hypothetical
question. There's nothing like a written record to influence courts or
insurance companies.

Well, let's get this out of the way, then. I regularly exceed 30 degrees of
pitch in my US-registered aircraft, despite the airplane not being certified in
the aerobatic category. My 25-year-old airplane has never undergone an annual
inspection. I haven't held a medical for about four years, yet I hold a Private
Pilot license and fly my N-numbered aircraft regularly.

I'll just sit here and wait for the subpoenas and insurance cancellations,
then....

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 24th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jun 24, 7:51 am, "Dick" wrote:
After taking some rigorous Unusual Attitudes Training, now I can't do a
smooth Lazy Eight to save my soul G (or comfort my wife).

One item the course taught me was a Modified Wingover which allowed a blind
canyon 180* turn within a wingspan. Entry at 30* pitch & 30* bank proceeding
to 60* pitch & 60* bank at 90* point to entry. Then at 0 mph, the nose falls
without rudder assist and ball is too the side.

My procedure for the Lazy 8: entry at 15/15* P&B, then up to 30/30* P&B
at 90* to entry and down to 5-10 mph over stall using proper rudder control
and centered ball.

Unfortunately after I look left over the wing to line up with the entry
point and initiate first pitch/bank, I'm then at the 90* point and still too
fast.....

Advice please. Thanks, Dick

Why would anyone want to do a lazy-8 once they've completed their
commercial? I can understand doing an "8's on" (as a matter of fact, I
do them all the time), or a chandelle, but a lazy-8?

Old June 24th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

buttman wrote:

Why would anyone want to do a lazy-8 once they've completed their
commercial? I can understand doing an "8's on" (as a matter of fact, I
do them all the time), or a chandelle, but a lazy-8?

Because, if done correctly, they teach coordination and control. If
done correctly, they require more skill than a Chandelle, IMHO. And if
you want to have more fun and develop more skill, you can start out with
the standard 30 deg bank, then increase it to 45 deg, 60 deg, etc, until
you are doing wing overs on each turn (usual caveats, etc).