XC Soar with Vario input

Old September 3rd 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default XC Soar with Vario input

Is anyone running XC soar and have it hooked up to an intelligent
vario, such as the Tasman with the Flight Pack module?

I am thinking about upgrading at some point and getting the Tasman/FP
module package and sending the data to my PDA for the various
functions XC soar would use, and was wondering if anyone has done
that, and how it works.

I've got the latest versions of XC soar on the iPAQ 3850 PDA, which I
fly with, and also on an iPAQ 310 that I use while sitting in the
Barkaflier.

I thought I would actually use the iPAQ 310 in the air, but am not
sure yet, especially when considering adding outside vario
info.......there is talk of bluetooth interface to achieve this, but
am not sure I want to go there. Pretty happy with the old PDA for now.

Thanks,
Brad
Old September 3rd 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Brad,

I offer cables that will allow an RS-232 serial connection between a Tasman
FP10 and V1000 variometer and the iPAQ 310. The 310 only accepts data at
9600 baud or higher, so you'd need a GPS that can output data at 9600 baud
or higher. A BlueTooth connection is also possible, but I recommend the
cable solution.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 4th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"Brad" wrote in message
Is anyone running XC soar and have it hooked up to an intelligent
vario, such as the Tasman with the Flight Pack module?

I am thinking about upgrading at some point and getting the Tasman/FP
module package and sending the data to my PDA for the various
functions XC soar would use, and was wondering if anyone has done
that, and how it works.

I've got the latest versions of XC soar on the iPAQ 3850 PDA, which I
fly with, and also on an iPAQ 310 that I use while sitting in the
Barkaflier.

I thought I would actually use the iPAQ 310 in the air, but am not
sure yet, especially when considering adding outside vario
info.......there is talk of bluetooth interface to achieve this, but
am not sure I want to go there. Pretty happy with the old PDA for now.

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Paul,

Since the iPAQ 310 has a built in GPS, I wouldn't need to add an

external GPS, right?

I did see the 310 has the 9600 baud rate, does the Tasman need to have

a certain baud rate too?

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad,

If XC Soar can receive data on 2 comm ports (which is unlikely, but maybe
possible) then you could receive the Tasman data on one com port and the
internal GPS on a different comm. port. However, I have never seen any
soaring software that was able to receive data on 2 comm ports at the same
time. So I'm pretty certain that an external GPS is required. Any GPS that
can send data at 9600 baud would be fine. An EW microRecorder is a good
option if you want an IGC approved logger.

The FP10 defaults to 4800 baud, but a software utility can be used to change
the baud rate to 9600 baud or 19200 baud.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
Serving the soaring community
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com
1-952-445-9033

Old September 9th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

"Paul Remde" ha scritto nel messaggio

If XC Soar can receive data on 2 comm ports (which is unlikely, but maybe
possible) then you could receive the Tasman data on one com port and the
internal GPS on a different comm. port. However, I have never seen any
soaring software that was able to receive data on 2 comm ports at the same
time. So I'm pretty certain that an external GPS is required. Any GPS
that can send data at 9600 baud would be fine. An EW microRecorder is a
good option if you want an IGC approved logger.

XCS does indeed support TWO different serial ports as input for gps and
external varios or other instruments.
Actually many people with the HP 310 series (310, 312, 314, 316 ) are using
it.

Paolo

FAA ADS-B Out NPRM needs your input Ron Lee[_2_] Piloting 24 November 27th 07 04:06 AM
Input jack on a Baron Greg Farris Piloting 12 November 25th 06 05:09 AM
Bose X with audio input.. Dan Piloting 3 November 9th 06 06:30 PM
GTX 327 serial input? weebee Owning 1 December 19th 05 01:04 AM
Aux. Audio Input Eugene Wendland Home Built 1 April 5th 04 04:16 AM