Antenna Install in a Metal Glider

Old April 8th 12, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

Default Antenna Install in a Metal Glider

Happy Easter everyone! We have a IS-28B2 Twin Lark which we use quite a bit for instruction, it is good for spinning and intro into flying complex gliders (flaps & retractable gear). It is due for a complete overhaul which will include a new radio with a repeater control unit in the back for the instructor.

Since weŽll then be re-working the whole radio install anyway I have been considering doing something about the dragmaster factory radio antenna that looks more like a car antenna installed ontop of the fuselage tail boom. For you experts out there what would be your recommendation for an interior radio antenna install (or a low drag exterior install) in an all metal glider like the Twin Lark?

Many thanks in advance,

Markus Graeber
Aeroclub de Colombia
Old April 8th 12, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Apr 8, 9:12*am, Markus Graeber wrote:
Happy Easter everyone! We have a IS-28B2 Twin Lark which we use quite a bit for instruction, it is good for spinning and intro into flying complex gliders (flaps & retractable gear). It is due for a complete overhaul which will include a new radio with a repeater control unit in the back for the instructor.

Since weŽll then be re-working the whole radio install anyway I have been considering doing something about the dragmaster factory radio antenna that looks more like a car antenna installed ontop of the fuselage tail boom.. For you experts out there what would be your recommendation for an interior radio antenna install (or a low drag exterior install) in an all metal glider like the Twin Lark?

Many thanks in advance,

Markus Graeber
Aeroclub de Colombia

Partial solution: 90 deg bent whip http://store.wagaero.com/product_inf...roducts_id=459

Depending on the material your current antenna is made from, you might
try a tubing bender.

The radiated power from a whip antenna comes disproportionately from
the "bottom" quarter, which is why this works. It's still ugly, but
the drag is much lower.

T8
Old April 8th 12, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

I probably should mention for those that are not familiar with the Twin Lark that it is all metal but does have a fiberglass turtle deck and a fiberglass nose and tail cone.

Markus
Old April 8th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Markus,

I recommend this one.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/rami.htm#AV-534

I had one of them on my Schweizer 1-35C. It worked great. I had it mounted
on the fuselage behind the turtle deck. The fuselage acted as a nice ground
plane.

For a metal sailplane there is no way to mount a radio antenna internally
and get good performance. And there aren't any available low drag radio
antennas that I'm aware of.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_____________________

Old April 8th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Once upon a time, I tried many different com antennas on an HP-18, an
all-metal sailplane with fiberglass nose and turtledeck. The most
effective antenna was a bent 1/4-wave whip mounted over the aft
fuselage.

For the HP-24, I install a 1/4-wave dipole inside the rudder, but that
is not a realistic possibility for the Lark.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old April 9th 12, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

On Sunday, April 8, 2012 11:04:13 PM UTC+2, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Once upon a time, I tried many different com antennas on an HP-18, an
all-metal sailplane with fiberglass nose and turtledeck. The most
effective antenna was a bent 1/4-wave whip mounted over the aft
fuselage.

For the HP-24, I install a 1/4-wave dipole inside the rudder, but that
is not a realistic possibility for the Lark.

Thanks, Bob K.

Thanks Bob, I was actually thinking about the possibility of installing the antenna in the rudder since it has fabric cover. The other more extreme option could be to replace the vertical stabilizer leading edge aluminum panels with fiber glass but that might have some structural side effects and I am not sure how much aluminum ribbing will affect an 1/4 wave antenna install.

Certification wise it's not a problem since gliders are treated here similar to experimentals in the US...

Markus
Old April 9th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Markus,

The antenna recommended by Paul Remde, or similar antenna, mounted on the
top of the fuselage aft of the cockpit will provide excellent radio
communication.

I really think that you overly concerned about the minimal drag produced by
an externally mounted antenna on your Lark. Granted the antenna produces
drag; however, on a gliders with similar polars to the Lark the performance
differences is undetectable. The only reason to hide your antenna is that
the Lark looks sleeker without it mounted on the top of the fuselage.

Wayne

Old April 9th 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Apr 9, 6:41*am, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
[...]

The antenna will only work well in the rudder if the rudder frame is
non-metalic. More modern ships often put the comm antenna in the
fiberglass rudder as close to the trailing edge as practicable in
order to keep it away from other conductive things. This is a
reasonable compromise, though often with a narrow null or "radio free
zone" directly ahead of the aircraft.

bumper
zz
MKIV and QV
Old April 9th 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

My club made a habit of converting Larks to scrap aluminum (3/5 of the way to black ace), so we got to see a number of different radio installations. IIRC, all of them used a pretty crude antenna installation similar to what you describe.

FWIW, have you considered a fiberglass encased 1/4 wave antennal like what you see on many metal GA aircraft? Comant is a major manufacturer.

http://www.cobham.com/about-cobham/a.../vhf-comm.aspx

Old April 9th 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Graeber

Thanks all for the feedback. I know that the difference in drag will not be quantifiable but, as pointed out, it would look a lot sleeker. Just trying to take advantage of the complete overhaul we'll be doing and hoping to turn the Twin Lark into more of an eye candy, a sleeker looking machine. It currently does have to compete (often unsuccessfully) with our G103 for attention so first impressions do help.

The polar sucks especially on the high speed end (even the flaps won't get it near the G103 polar, the Germans give it a close to 10% better handicap....) but at least you'd be coming down faster in a nice looking glider that does allow students to get a good handle of spins, flaps and retractable gears :-)

Markus