Dangerous Cessna evacuates govt again

Old May 12th 05, 03:49 AM
Flyingmonkl

Love it! Montblack!

Flyingmonk

Old May 12th 05, 03:54 AM
Flyingmonkl

I second and third that Jay!

I used to be able to take my mom and other visiting friends and fly
them around the White House, the CIA HQ at Langley, The Capitol, The
Pentagon all below 200' AGL.

My mom would say, "My boy is flying me to see Clinton's house, duh
Capitol, CIA, duh Pentagona. America has been good to my boy! What a
great country!" while showing the tape to her friends in Toulouse
France.

Those days are gone... Thank a F'ing lot! Bin Ladin!

Flyingmonk

Old May 12th 05, 04:03 AM
Sully

On Thu, 12 May 2005 02:26:13 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Sully wrote:

Something to remember though through all of this is that it was a
"STUDENT" and instructor.

Where did you hear it was an instructor? The AOPA blurb doesn't say that, and
the landings database doesn't show a CFI certificate for Jim Schaeffer.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

After checking CNN again you are right it did say Pilot and Student.
Not real sure where I heard instructor, think it was local radio
though but we know how the news media verifies facts before
publishing.
Old May 12th 05, 04:03 AM
W P Dixon

Larry ,
Could you please indulge me as to VFR for PPL , I could not find any
reference to ground . Sport Pilots however have this limit " visual
reference to the ground." FAR 61.315

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old May 12th 05, 04:15 AM
George Patterson

Larry Dighera wrote:
And did a search on these two guys and didn't get a hit. I don't know if
this is a comprehensive database or if you can opt to not be in it. "flown
by Jim Sheaffer of Lititz, Pa., and student pilot Troy Martin, of Akron,
Pa., "

Airmen Database Search Result
Name : SHEAFFER JR, HAYDEN LOWERY

I guess if someone saddled me with the name "Hayden Lowery", I'd go by "Jim" too.

Old May 12th 05, 04:31 AM
Flyingmonk

Woah Gene! I fly near DC. Used to fly IN DC. while I totally
understand your feelings, It is just too close to home for me to go
along with that one! LOL I'll try not to be in the news.

Flyingmonk

Old May 12th 05, 04:36 AM
Flyingmonk

I think that out of 500 spam cans, one or two might crash due to
condition and we'd all be blamed for it.

Flyingmonk

Old May 12th 05, 04:36 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
Dave Stadt wrote:
A communication problem is no excuse for doing what they did. These

guys
are from the area and have no excuse for not knowing about the

restricted
area. They aren't my brothers,

Some reports say that they, in fact, had an ADIZ squawk code. That would
suggest that they were atleast trying to do follow the correct procedure.
It would be nice if we allowed them to be innocent until proven
guilty. Human beings make mistakes, occasionally.

There is absolutely no doubt they are guilty. Humans make mistakes and in
this country must often suffer the consequences for those mistakes. Ooooops
I made a mistake is not something a judge or jury is going to accept as a
defense.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Old May 12th 05, 04:45 AM
Mike W.

2.6 hrs, intercept procedures (actual)

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

snip, for god's sake

I'd like to see how the instructor logs this flight in the student's log
book.

Old May 12th 05, 04:46 AM
Christopher Campbell

On 5/11/05 3:12 PM, in article , "x-ray"
wrote:

"Sport Pilot" wrote:

Not when its possible for a C150 to carry a small A bomb in a suitcase.

Apparently you do not understand nuclear weapons.

1) You can NOT put "A bomb" in a suitcase.
2) Considering the weight of such "suitcase" it would take 4 people to carry
it.
3) You need explosives to compress the plutonium to approx 3 times normal
density, not to mention the weight of the shielding you need, unless you
want to be a martyr.
4) By skipping 3) the device would be enough radioactive to harm the one who
is carrying it - they would be dead before they got to target!
5) Oh, by the way, by skipping 3) radiation sensors around various areas
would go ape ****.

In short, "A bomb" suitcase is nothing but paranoia (but that's already
mentioned in thread, so i won't go into it again).

The W-48 155mm nuclear artillery round is 34" long and weighs about 110 lbs.
It could fit diagonally in a large suitcase, especially if you removed the
fusing and other unnecessary parts of the case. Yield is about 70 tons of
TNT. It would probably kill everyone within 400 yards of it, mostly with
radiation. However, all of these weapons are accounted for.

The Mk-54 SADM (Small Atomic Demolition Munition) was a man-carried bomb
developed by the US. It was a variant of the W-48, but was a cylinder 40cm X
60cm and it weighed 68kg. An interesting weapon, to be sure, but I think
they have all been decommissioned.

The Soviets claimed to have built prototype suitcase weapons 20cm thick. A
linear triggered device (as opposed to the implosion types most people seem
to be thinking of) can theoretically be made 5cm thick, but it would take a
special development effort well beyond the capabilities of anyone but an
extremely advanced nuclear power such as the US, and it appears that we have
never been interested in such a weapon. The smallest weapon ever tested by
the US was the UCRL Swift device in 1956. It had a diameter of 5", was 24.5"
long, and weighed 96 lbs. It had a yield of 190 tons. It was supposed to be
a trigger for a fusion bomb, but it might have been a step along the way to
the W-48.

So yes, suitcase bombs are possible and some may have even been developed.
They would have explosive power in the range of a few hundred tons of TNT
instead of the kilotons that we usually think of when talking about nuclear
weapons. A terrorist would be extremely unlikely to get his hands on such a
device and even less likely be able to credibly build one. Not that it would
be impossible. China, for example, might consider a terrorist nuclear attack
on the US to be a useful way of distracting our attention from Taiwan. A
rather scary thought.

Plutonium is poisonous, radioactive, and explosive (even at less than
critical mass), but that does not mean an unshielded bomb would kill a
terrorist before he got a chance to deliver it to his target. After all,
plutonium is even used in pacemakers.