How's the Flu Hitting You?

Old December 12th 03, 02:03 PM
Jay Honeck

Default How's the Flu Hitting You?

Over 1/3 of my son's middle school went home (or called in) sick yesterday.
It's all over the news that this is the worst flu outbreak since the killer
1918-1919 flu epidemic. (Which, incidentally, claimed my grandfather, and
very nearly killed my grandmother, while she was pregnant with my Dad.)

My CFI buddy said that half of his students cancelled lessons in the last
few days, and there was only one other person in the pattern with us
yesterday, on a CAVU afternoon. (Of course, the icy runways may have had
*something* to do with it!)

How's it in your neck of the woods? Anyone ever been hit with the flu (or
similar) while airborne?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 02:21 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-12-12 06:03:26 -0800, "Jay Honeck" said:

How's it in your neck of the woods? Anyone ever been hit with the flu (or
similar) while airborne?

One of our crews transported a patient with who had it a couple weeks ago.
They had to wear those nifty masks like we wear for TB patients and get
decontaminated when they got back.

I'm not generally one to get flu shots, but since I seem to have a better than
average chance of coming into contact with it and my wife has an aunt who
is just coming off chemotherapy, i decided to get one as long as the nurses
in the office were handing them out.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old December 12th 03, 02:35 PM
Jim

I got the flu shot with my Class 2 medical last month and proceded to get
the worst cold of my life, it's been 3 weeks since it started and I'm still
coughing and congested. Some days I'm fine and can fly and other days I
wish somebody would just shoot me. As far as the true flu, it hasn't hit
around here yet, I'm sure it will wait until Christmas when everybody is
inside and close to one another so they can spread it really good.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old December 12th 03, 02:43 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm not generally one to get flu shots, but since I seem to have a better
than
average chance of coming into contact with it and my wife has an aunt who
is just coming off chemotherapy, i decided to get one as long as the

nurses
in the office were handing them out.

It was in our paper this morning that 2/3s of the flu cases nationwide are
of a type that is not affected by this year's flu shot... :-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 02:55 PM
Peter R.

Larry Fransson ) wrote:

I'm not generally one to get flu shots, but since I seem to have a better than
average chance of coming into contact with it and my wife has an aunt who
is just coming off chemotherapy, i decided to get one as long as the nurses
in the office were handing them out.

I thought I heard from a few different news sources that this year's US flu
vaccination formula does not include the strain that is currently making
the rounds in the US.

Here in upstate NY, the panic is high but the reported cases are still low.
Four hours or longer to wait in one of the remaining few lines left, only
to receive a shot that doesn't cover this year's variant? No thanks. I'll
take my chances the old fashioned way...

--
Peter

Old December 12th 03, 03:08 PM
Blanche

I live in Colorado. Flu. West Nile.

'nuff said.

Old December 12th 03, 03:15 PM
Jim Fisher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
It was in our paper this morning that 2/3s of the flu cases nationwide are
of a type that is not affected by this year's flu shot... :-(

That's not exactly the case, Mr. Jay. It is my understanding that the shot
is effective. They are just not exactly sure HOW effective it will be.

Even in the best of cases, the flu shot reduces your chances of getting the
flu only 70 to 90 percent. This year, the effectiveness may be only 50
percent but no one really knows for sure.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in587612.shtml

I got my shot a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a dozen years. I
just cannot afford to be bedridden for a week right now. I also got my
little one a snort into his nostrils.

Scary stuff, man.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 12th 03, 03:23 PM
EDR

I teach swimming to 3-6 year olds three days each week. So the little
buggers are coughing in my face on a regular basis. If I don't
anticipate it and pull away before they cough or sneeze, I stick my
face in the water and swish it a few times to wash off as much of the
spray as possible. This is the only time I am happy that the chlorine
count is high.

I got my flu shot the beginning of November. A week later I experienced
three days of headaches, followed by a day of sore throat, followed by
three days of head congestion, followed by three days of chest
congestion. I have had head congestion since. This is week four.

My daughter had fever last Saturday and Sunday, I kept her home from
school on Monday, without any symptoms other than she complained she
was bored.
Old December 12th 03, 03:34 PM
Jay Honeck

That's not exactly the case, Mr. Jay. It is my understanding that the
shot
is effective. They are just not exactly sure HOW effective it will be.

Well, here is from the AP, in today's Gannett-owned rag:

"About 2/3s of people with confirmed flu have a strain called 'A/Fujian'
The strain doesn't grow readily in fertilized chicken eggs, which made it
virtually impossible to include in the vaccine for this year's epidemic".

In other words, you're pretty much own with this particular strain...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA