emergency chute

Old April 6th 05, 03:56 AM

How does a square know which way the wind is blowing?

I'll buy the rest of the argument for a square reserve (having a few
jumps, both static and freefall, under old military rounds), but I have
a hard time understanding how a free falling object can orient itself
with the wind - unless it is big enough (tall enough) to be affected by
wind shear.

Explanation, please?

66

Old April 6th 05, 12:36 PM

OK, given the preference of those who know more than I do, I have to
ask the obvious question: Why are there still round chutes? If I order
a National or Softie from my local glider haberdasher... won't I get a
conical? I'm not disagreeing with the assessement of thems that knows.
But I would like to understand why we haven't seen a wholesale
conversion to the square.

Not a troll... though it has the earmarks, doesn't it?

wrote:
snip Would that mean that the passenger should have a round chute

and
just accept their lumps, so to speak? /snip

Colin: Yes, exactly.

OC: as the unidentified rigger said, the square. The chances of the
pilot being dazed and confused to the point of not even being able to
find and operate the brake/steering toggles are small, and if unable

do so by injury or unconsciousness, I would still rather be under the
square.

2NO

Old April 6th 05, 03:56 PM

fiveniner: it's simple. The round chutes are cheaper and require no
training (a lot less, anyway).

I *am* surprised, however, that the square chutes aren't a tad more
popular than they are. That's probably because of a simple lack of
knowledge and the institutional momemtum of using rounds/conicals for
so many years...

ted/2NO

Old April 6th 05, 04:31 PM

66: not very many skydivers share this opinion (that squares turn into
the wind). I experimented with the theory a half dozen times when I was
jumping solo and not once did the canopy ever turn into the wind.

2NO

Old April 6th 05, 04:48 PM
Don Johnstone

Reliability. Perhaps you should ask the experts on
emergency egress, in the case of the UK it is a company
called Martin Baker. Ask them how many of their seats
use square chutes. A canopy capable of opening safely
at the sort of speeds involved in ejections is good
enough for me.
If sport chutes are so reliable why do sky divers have
a reserve?

An emergency chute is designed to work even under adverse
conditions. A sport parachute has a completely different
design concept.

Old April 6th 05, 04:49 PM

To Fiveniner: you can buy directly from Softie a square emergency
parachute.

To 66: it is called weathervaning...go and make a jump, don't release
your brakes and see what the canopy will do. Especially the big ones
like Raven IV.

To Eric Greenwell: no it doesn't work like that. Round/conical will
descent at that rate no matter what. There will be a small difference
in descent rate between suspended loads (heavy pilot versus light
pilot) but not a really significant number. If you would like I can
swing by the airport and drop you a book with explanations about
parachute desingns. I don't want to type the explanation because would
be to lenghty.

Old April 6th 05, 07:16 PM

Yeah, thats the idea...use Martin Baker 0-0 seat and you have no issues.

Old April 6th 05, 07:54 PM

Don: Don't confuse "square" with "sport". Emergency/reserve "square"
parachutes are designed very differently than their main/sport
counterparts. Also, skydivers use a reserve for two reasons: (1)
main/sport parachutes are designed with flight performance as a major
design criteria; they are very reliable but not as reliable as
reserve/emergency chutes. (2) The FAA prohibits intentional parachute
jumps without a reserve. (3) It would be really dumb anyway

2NO

Old April 6th 05, 09:02 PM

Aren't most BASE jumps done without a reserve? Do BASE jumpers prefer
the reserve square or the sport chute (since control into tight LZs is
a consideration)?

Just trying to get educated since we appear to have a group of folks
with useful information.