Jantar 48-2 vs Pik20d

Old November 13th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Runciman

Default Jantar 48-2 vs Pik20d

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I have posted here. I have
finally narrowed my search to 2 gliders. I am aware
of the following on each glider:

Jantar - Visibility during tow, and tight cockpit (I
am 5'10' 148 lbs so I fit ok).

Pik 20D - Thick wing mold, parts support, and flaps.

I am a low time glider pilot (27 hours), private pilot
(180 hours) and a high time hang glider pilot (560
hours). I am looking for input regarding the handling,
visibility during flight, problems with each glider,
and any other input.

Thank You,

Jeff Runciman

Old November 13th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry about that last blank post. Did you write off ASW 19 and Pegasus
101? If so, why?
Here is a good PIK link:
http://www.appledor.net/tsillas/soaring/index.html
Craig

Old November 13th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Jeff Runciman wrote:
Hi guys,

I have
finally narrowed my search to 2 gliders. I am aware
of the following on each glider:

Jantar - Visibility during tow, and tight cockpit (I
am 5'10' 148 lbs so I fit ok).

Pik 20D - Thick wing mold, parts support, and flaps.

Jeff, I asume you are talking about a Jantar Standard?When I was
shopping a few years ago I noticed that the price of an ASW20 was just
barely more than the PIK20D.So I went with the ASW20 as a first ship
and no complaints (Just be methodical about checking yourself out)!The
PIK is nice, but I think the ASW20 is just a bit faster and MUCH better
product support.Stick with the flaped ships if you can, you will be
alot happier than with a standard.
Another thing to consider is that with ships this old, sometimes you
just have to go after condition and not limit yourself to a peticular
type of ship.
Good Luck, you are just in time for shopping season.

Thank You,

Jeff Runciman

K Urban

Old November 13th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

If you're considering a D-model PIK, the flaps are not such an
obstacle. It has flaps and spoilers. My B-model, has flaps only, and
some people are put off by that. All I can say is that I'm 5'10" and
225 lbs. I am a little tight in the shoulders in my PIK, but not
uncomfortable. I believe the PIKs will end up being among the most
durable sailplanes ever produced. I also believe you'll be happeir with
the PIKs performance.

Just my opinion...

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

Old November 13th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Runciman

I have not written off any gliders yet. I have been
looking since 2005. I have not been able to find an
ASW 19 and the 101 has not been imported into Canada
yet. I would love to get a 101 as I have heard it
is a flapless ASW 20 but would be hard to bring into
Canada. It is also almost impossible to bring in an
experimental aircraft into Canada.

Jeff

Old November 13th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Runciman

Thanks Jack.

Is there anything in particular that I should look
at on the D that may be a problem during inspection?

Jeff

Old November 13th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Runciman

[...]

Jantar Std. 3 [email protected] Soaring 2 March 31st 05 10:50 PM
Jantar 2b at the Cinema :) Janusz Kesik Soaring 2 February 23rd 05 04:33 AM
Two-place Jantar?? Gary Boggs Soaring 7 August 22nd 04 07:14 PM
Jantar Std 3 wanted eR Soaring 1 May 18th 04 05:32 PM
Jantar 2A opinions sought Mark Navarre Soaring 4 November 18th 03 04:33 PM