spinning K13s non-aerobatic

Old November 2nd 05, 05:06 PM
Mark Fisher

Default spinning K13s non-aerobatic

What is the view (especially of instructors and inspectors)
on spinning K13s within the non-aerobatic range of
the placard?

seems to be a matter of some disagreement. It depends
I suppose on whether spinning is considered aerobatic.
any views?

thanks

Old November 2nd 05, 05:32 PM
Robin Birch

In our club the answer in no. Spinning, loops and chandelles are in the
semi-aerobatic category. If an aircraft is placarded non-aerobatic then
it cannot deliberately undertake these.

Robin

In message , Mark Fisher
writes

Old November 2nd 05, 06:25 PM
Stefan

Mark Fisher wrote:

What is the view (especially of instructors and inspectors)
on spinning K13s within the non-aerobatic range of
the placard?

Gliders are usually certified in the utility category, to which JAR22 says:

JAR 22.3 Sailplane categories
(a) The Utility Category is limited to
sailplanes intended for normal soaring flight.
The following aerobatic manoeuvres may be
permitted if demonstrated during type
certification –
(1) spins;
(2) lazy eights, chandelles, stall turns
and steep turns;
(3) positive loops.

Now as the K13 has been certified well before JAR, this doesn't answer
your question. :-P

Stefan
Old November 3rd 05, 10:00 AM
Don Johnstone

My glider was originally certified in the semi aerobatic
category. In order to allow an increased all up weight
it has been made non-aerobatic and this is the most
common reason for a change in category. While a semi
aerobatic K13, all new K13s were in this category,
can be spun intentionally. If it has been re classified
non-aerobatic to increase the cockpit loads it cannot
be deliberately spun.

Old November 3rd 05, 12:11 PM
Ray Hart

Double placarding is the way to go here. At next C
of A get the glider
weighed and placarded for both semi-aerobatic and non-aerobatic
cockpit
loads. Wether it is aerobatic or not then depends
on the weight of the
pilots.

Spinning is at 1G, so not necessarily aerobatic, but
the recovery may
well be - depending on how well it is executed; e.g.
pulling G to prevent
overspeed.

Ray

Old November 3rd 05, 12:26 PM
Bert Willing

The definition of aerobatics is not necessarily connected to g-loads.
Intentional spins ARE aerobatic maneuvers.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

message de news: ...

Old November 3rd 05, 01:30 PM
Ray Hart

Bert

With respect, your posting is pedantic and misses the
point.

Ray

At 12:30 03 November 2005, Bert Willing wrote:
The definition of aerobatics is not necessarily connected
to g-loads.
Intentional spins ARE aerobatic maneuvers.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 'TW'

message de news: ...

Old November 3rd 05, 02:06 PM
Bert Willing

If you refer to the initial question, it was about deliberately spinning the
glider under a non-aerobatic placard. And that's not possible per definition
as a deliberate spin is an aerobatic maneuver. Why I was reacting to your
post was your idea that because a spin happens at 1g, it might be
non-aerobatic - which is strange, to put it mildly.

That I may spin the glider under an aerobatic maneuver seems to be trivial
to me, and in regard of the initial question, your posting was fairly
pointless...

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Ray Hart" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...
Bert

With respect, your posting is pedantic and misses the
point.

Ray

At 12:30 03 November 2005, Bert Willing wrote:
The definition of aerobatics is not necessarily connected
to g-loads.
Intentional spins ARE aerobatic maneuvers.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 'TW'

message de news:

Old November 3rd 05, 02:38 PM
Don Johnstone

Not sure you can do that Ray, the classification is
also on the CoA and I suspect 2 x CoA is not permitted.

Old November 3rd 05, 11:56 PM
Robin Birch

In message , Don Johnstone
writes
Not sure you can do that Ray, the classification is
also on the CoA and I suspect 2 x CoA is not permitted.

Hi Don,
I'll have to check our CofA sheets but all of our K13s have dual
placarding. I suspect that the semi-aerobatic limits are governed by all
up weight and the max/min G loadings whilst the non-aerobatic ones are
governed by the CofG limits.

Thinking about this I can imagine a CofA that caters for both. As I
said earlier, I'll have to check the paperwork. A job for the weekend.

Robin