Dangerous Cessna evacuates govt again

Old May 14th 05, 09:28 PM
S.

As always, intelligent (sometimes pithy !) observation from members of the
aviation community in the above postings ; I agree with all of it.

Newsreel footage of EVERYONE in D.C. scattering in all directions has just
been shown on Channel 4 news (U.K.) ; it looked like a badly made disaster
movie. A police officer shouted "GET OUT, NOW !" to the floor of the
House.
Unseemly and totally lacking in composure or dignity.

If this is what an off-track Cessna can do the the worlds most
technologically powerful and sophisticated nation, I have to ask "Have the
terrorists already won ?".

I hope to go to San Diego, and work my way up to CPL in August, achieving
the last of my life's ambitions at 48.It would be tragic if the
authorities
were to restrict the people who could take the controls of an aircraft, by
way of "security measures".

Idiots like this one today may curtail that, if they don't take the ease
of
access to flying, just a little bit less for granted.

Does the smoke "win" when the fire alarm goes off?

Inanimate object, so I don't have a frame of reference......... :-) . My
only point being that the pictures I mentioned were transmitted around the
world, no doubt giving sick satisfaction to those *******s who would do
America harm.......and it was only an idiot off course..........

Lets stay vigilant for our rights and be calm.
I do not expect a huge fallout from this.
AOPA will be there every inch of the way.

Hhhmmmmm

The story is still unfolding with all the typical media foul ups on
the details.

There is always the media "play-up" factor...

You will LOVE San Diego!

I can't wait. I have some medical hurdles to jump before I can go to London
for my JAR-FCL1 medical exam (337 pounds...... = US$ 637 !!!), but as soon
as I have that, I'm enrolling ! My sister (Boston) rates SD as one of the
finest cities she has ever seen, and she has *travelled*. Niece works in the
movie biz in L.A., so I will have 'family' near. Never been further west
than Houston, so that + the flying (at my time of life) = Adventure !!!

MYF?

Sorry, don't know this one ..........Flying !???

Steve.

Old May 14th 05, 09:59 PM
george

Sport Pilot wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:03:57 +0100, "S."

wrote
in ::

Newsreel footage of EVERYONE in D.C. scattering in all directions

has just
been shown on Channel 4 news (U.K.) ; it looked like a badly made

disaster
movie. A police officer shouted "GET OUT, NOW !" to the floor of

the
House.
Unseemly and totally lacking in composure or dignity.

If this is what an off-track Cessna can do the the worlds most
technologically powerful and sophisticated nation, I have to ask

"Have the
terrorists already won ?".

In light of the British people continuing to man their shops and

posts
during the nightly bomb raids by the Nazis during the Battle of
Britain, these pusillanimous Americans scattering in panic must

appear
particularly pathetic.

I only hope their overeaction make geting rid of GA seem silly.

Yup. As I understand it there have been in excess of 180 aircraft
'incursions' into the 'banned' area.
Why wasn't this little fact reported at the same time as all the
nonsense ?

Why not ban -all- movements in and around that city?
All aircraft movements to stop 100nm away...
Then get rid of the politicians after all they are the major target...

Old May 14th 05, 10:43 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:43:51 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Dave Stadt wrote:

What I want to know is where were all those ninnies running to.

They were told to "head south." That would put them eventually into the Potomac,
wouldn't it?

Lemmings

Mike Weller

Old May 15th 05, 03:17 PM
Margy

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Sport Pilot wrote:

Not when its possible for a C150 to carry a small A bomb in a suitcase.

One can carry much more, without the problem of dodging fighters, in a
minivan.

When DC is closed off to all vehicular traffic, I'll believe that someone is
serious about security and I'll accept what's being done to GA there.
Absent that, this is a joke and we're the butt of that joke.

- Andrew

Yeah, when people ask me what I think of the FRZ (used to be TFR) I
always say if they want to "make the skies safe over DC" they have to
ban ALL AIR TRAFFIC within a reasonable distance, like 200 miles. This
would of course close Dulles, Washington, Baltimore, Richmond,
Philadelphia, etc. Folks always say "They CAN'T do THAT!". To which I
respond that I agree, but putting a silly band-aid, do nothing policy on
small aircraft in the DC area is just as silly.

I'm sure more damage could be inflicted with a rental truck in downtown
DC than with a 172 (or even a Citation)if desired and they aren't going
to close down DC to motor vehicles. People get upset when they do the
truck checks on Capitol Hill!

Margy
Old May 16th 05, 05:15 AM
Jay Beckman

"george" wrote in message
ups.com...

George Patterson wrote:
Jimmy B. wrote:

Yeah, I know there are other nationalities on the newsgroups, but I

assumed that only Americans would be silly enough to discuss the
feasibility of carrying an A-bomb on an open connection.

Actually, the poster who has provided the most information regarding

weights and
sizes of various extant weapons is from the Isle of Mann.

Noticed that :-)
I was waiting for some-one to mention Manpacks

What's a "Manpack?"

Jay B

Old May 16th 05, 05:29 AM
W P Dixon

I dunno,.....
But it sure sounds like something done in prison

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Jay Beckman" wrote in

What's a "Manpack?"

Jay B

Old May 16th 05, 07:18 AM
Montblack

("W P Dixon" wrote)
What's a "Manpack?"

I dunno,.....
But it sure sounds like something done in prison

We have a winner!!!

http://www.whizzinator.com/
(A.K.A. ..."Manpack" g)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7816844/
(MN Vikings football player caught by TSA at MSP)

(Detailed Whizzinator story)

(From the Minneapolis Star-Tribune link)
During the search, a Transportation Security Administration officer found
"six or seven" vials of white powder in a clear bag, according to the
report. Airport police were called to the scene and began inspecting the
materials in a private room.

A sample from one of the vials tested negative for cocaine and opiates.
Smith was then led into the room and identified the powder as dried urine.
He also acknowledged the presence of a Whizzinator.

Montblack
I hope they cop didn't stick his pinky finger into the white powder and
taste a small sample for cocaine - like they do on TV. Yuck!!!

Old May 16th 05, 08:19 AM
Jay Beckman

"abripl" wrote in message
ups.com...
I still don't see real logic in getting excited about a small plane
that cannot carry much but not about all sorts of cars & trucks that
can get into the area and are the prefered vehicles of terrorists.

And there you have the entire crux of the matter: Logic (and the lack
thereof...)

Jay B

Old May 16th 05, 08:29 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The figures I heard were about 4,000 illegal infiltrators a night, and
an estimate of 1-million a year crossing the southern border.

Yeah, I wonder if "Operation Minuteman" (or whatever the heck it's called)
is having any effect?

Or if all the good ole boy volunteers got tired of driving around the
desert, and went home...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay H,

It's unusual for you to jump to stereotypes...

Yeah, some of them probably came with the twisted idea of going Mexican
hunting, but most of the volunteers were armed with nothing more than a pair
of binoculars, a radio and a cooler of soda. Many elderly residents of
southern AZ took part.

You'd have to live down in this part of the country to better understand the
situation. It goes beyond just the integrity of the boarder itself because
of the impact it has on the people who live down in southeast AZ. Ranchers
are losing cattle and horses. Supplies are being stolen out of barns and
sheds. "Coyotes" (imigrant smugglers) routinely just dump their load of
Mexicans in the desert to fend for themselves (if they don't shoot them all
in the head first.) There have been several incidents of "Coyote Road Rage"
where rival vanloads of illegals have exchanged gunfire on area freeways
during rush hour.

Like most issues, there are sub-issues which branch off into many different
areas that don't necessarilly get any press or consideration.

Jay B

Old May 16th 05, 08:32 AM
Jay Beckman

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
How many more times do you think it can be allowed to happen before the
FAA/TSA/CIA/Whomever says "Enough is enough" -- and terminates our flight
privileges anywhere near D.C.?

I suspect they look at such events as useful fire drills. The incursions
let them test their procedures under real-life, unplanned circumstances
that are nonetheless benign.

--Gary

What's "funny" is that CNN had a Senator on later in the day who was
complaining that they never have any "Security Drills" nor do they have ANY
clear cut procedures for where to go or what to do in case of evacuation.

My assumption is that he is refering specifically to Congress since they
seemed to have the ability to wisk the VP away in pretty short order.

He said the Capitol Police just busted in and said "Everyone Run...NOW!!!
You Have Three Minutes To Get Out."

Jay B