Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 2nd 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Saw this clip today about a derelict 1950's era AA gun sitting in some
guy's yard near DFW airport. "Concerned individuals" (i.e. dimwits)
called the news station worried about the gun being pointed toward the
airport, and being used to target aircraft(!) Fer Christ's sake, did
they notice the tall grass growing all around the thing? Don't most
public libraries and VFW halls have an old howitzer sitting outside?
Sheeesh...

http://www.nbc5i.com/video/9304340/index.html

Old June 2nd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This was a free country before 1968, then they passed a new
law which required all "destructive devices" to be
registered and deactivated. Historical cannons outside of
court houses had the barrels cut and the breech welded, the
barrel filled with concrete. Those AA guns probably have
had similar treatment with a torch and welding rod.

But Texas, like many states does allow ownership of real
machine guns IF the federal laws on background checks and
taxes/registration are followed. So maybe the owner of the
AA is the most trustworthy and honest fellow in the county.

Or maybe he is just a Jane Fonda fan and wants her to come
visit.

some support

ups.com...

Old June 3rd 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

This was a free country before 1968, then they passed a new
law which required all "destructive devices" to be
registered and deactivated.

The US ceased to be a free country long before 1968.

Old June 3rd 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Income tax? Prohibition? Joined United Nations?

some support

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
in message
.net...

Old June 3rd 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Income tax? Prohibition? Joined United Nations?

Prohibition, yes, but we repealed that. The Civil War, military draft,
Social Security, the dole, Social Security, minimum wage, etc., etc., etc.

Old June 5th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
Saw this clip today about a derelict 1950's era AA gun sitting in some
guy's yard near DFW airport. "Concerned individuals" (i.e. dimwits)
called the news station worried about the gun being pointed toward the
airport, and being used to target aircraft(!) Fer Christ's sake, did
they notice the tall grass growing all around the thing? Don't most
public libraries and VFW halls have an old howitzer sitting outside?
Sheeesh...

http://www.nbc5i.com/video/9304340/index.html

I lurk a lot post a little. I had to comment on this one.

Incredible. Are people really this stupid, and is the local news in Dallas
really hurting for stories this bad.

The rest of this thread was interesting. The idea of reparations, while an
interesting topic for debate, is unworkable in many ways. The first and
most obvious, who will pay and who will be paid? How are you going to
determine this? You would have to do family trees for every person in
America, and every person who has lived in America. Every black person, or
person of black heritage, in America is not a descendant of a former slave.
Nor is every white person, or person of white heritage, a descendant of a
former slave owner.

Old June 5th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"BucFan" wrote in message
"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

And you'll find that you also have white people with black slaves in their
family history and black people with white slave owners in their family
trees as well.

eg: Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings...

Jay B

Old June 5th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

And you'll find that you also have white people with black slaves in their
family history and black people with white slave owners in their family
trees as well.

eg: Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings...

You may want to reinvestigate that: at best they can find it was one of the
Jefferson family and, IIRC, Tom Jefferson was in Europe when Hemings became
pregnant.