iPaq screen reflections - anyone really happy with their solution?

Old December 2nd 03, 12:51 AM
Jim Kelly

Default iPaq screen reflections - anyone really happy with their solution?

Greetings!

Summer has begun down under, and my first flight with an iPaq
reminded me just how bad the reflections are in bright light . . .
sooo hard to read, especially when wearing sunglasses.

Were there any solutions that worked well for you Northerners this
season??

I have noted a film from Brando at:
http://shop.brando.com.hk/screenprotector.php
(not much reference to stopping reflections though)

.. . and ClearTouch as sold by Richard at CraggyAero:
http://www.craggyaero.com/screen_protectors.htm
http://www.boxwave.com/products/clea...t3_ipaq_39.htm

Perhaps Paul Remde, and others have solutions too?

Anything found to work REALLY well??

Any comments??

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jim Kelly

Old December 2nd 03, 03:21 AM
HL Falbaum

The ClearTouch is easy to apply and works better than the WriteRight by
Fellows. I use blue blocking sunglasses and the bluish backlight from my
3955 is attenuated somewhat. It is functional, but frankly I was
disappointed in the overall image. I like my 1550 better but Winpilot
stopped supporting it. I have had a few flights with the SN10-the screen
visibility is very good, but the overall unit would take some time to
learn.

Overall, it is not as pretty as I wished, but it is useable, and the
ClearTouch does cut the reflections, by spreading them out and 'defocusing'
them. A slight tilt of the swivel mount helps somewhat. (Mine is mounted in
the center of the panel and close to it)

I am considering a black velvet 'bib' as the next step, to cut reflections
from the shirt and chute hardware.

--
Hartley Falbaum
ASW27B "KF" USA

u...

Old December 2nd 03, 04:11 AM
Jim Kelly

| ClearTouch does cut the reflections, by spreading them out and
'defocusing'
| them. A slight tilt of the swivel mount helps somewhat. (Mine is
mounted in
| the center of the panel and close to it)

Sounds like ClearTouch "sort of" works, ie 'better than nothing'.
Anyone found a better product??

| I am considering a black velvet 'bib' as the next step, to cut
reflections
| from the shirt and chute hardware.

This has proven to work by one of our Aussie WinPilot gliding gurus.
Black is not the coolest choice to wear though!!

Thanks,

Jim

Old December 2nd 03, 05:28 AM
Marc Ramsey

Jim Kelly wrote:
Sounds like ClearTouch "sort of" works, ie 'better than nothing'.
Anyone found a better product??

I had a quick look at an iPaq with ClearTouch in direct sunlight, and it
was noticeably better than the screen protectors I have been using
(Micro Writeguards), which in turn were better than anything else I'd
found...

Marc
Old December 2nd 03, 06:06 AM
F.L. Whiteley

I hear there will be a shift in displays tech in the next few months that
should make these current kits obsolete.

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
. com...

Old December 2nd 03, 06:29 AM
Marc Ramsey

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
I hear there will be a shift in displays tech in the next few months that
should make these current kits obsolete.

Organic LED (OLED) and/or electronic ink technology has been supposed to
take over "real soon now" for a number of years. OLEDs use discrete
light emitters at each pixel, giving good contrast with no backlight
needed. Electronic ink uses tiny particles for pixels, electrically
flipping them between light and dark sides, which supposedly provides
contrast comparable to ink on paper.

As I remember, exactly one cellphone briefly made it onto the market
last spring with an OLED display. Apparently, OLEDs and e-ink still
have problems which need to be solved...

Marc
Old December 2nd 03, 10:36 AM
Steve Hopkins

Didn't someone develop an "eye piece", worn over one eye and linked to
the visual output of a PDA? The article, (long since lost in the bowels
of this computer), portrayed a view of the countryside as seen by the
pilot and, overlaid on this, was the GPS data and output from an
electrical Artificial Horizon. If anyone remembers this, could they post
the link?
Steve

Old December 2nd 03, 01:37 PM
tango4

These things are known as 'enhanced reality' displays. Much more practical
than HUDIS ( Fixed colimator projected head up display ) since in a
sailplane one needs to be looking about all the time.

I have seen a few at shows. Most are a complete waste of time in terms of
resolution, power drain and interface capabilities or are simply too large
to get onto your head with the canopy closed!

http://www.crd.ge.com/esl/cgsp/projects/er/

Ian

Old December 2nd 03, 09:34 PM
Ian Forbes

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:51:00 +1100, Jim Kelly wrote:

Summer has begun down under, and my first flight with an iPaq reminded me
just how bad the reflections are in bright light . . . sooo hard to read,
especially when wearing sunglasses.

I have an old Palm PDA with a black and white screen. I have loaded
Soaring Pilot on it and played with it but I never bothered to put it in
the glider.

However on the ground the display seems perfectly legible in bright light.

For those who have tried old PDA's, how do black and white screens shape
up against the latest colour ones?

Maybe it is worth trading some CPU power for a clearly readible display
and a decent battery life.

Ian

Old December 2nd 03, 10:51 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I regret that I have not done much testing with screen protectors on Pocket
PCs. All the ones I have tried lowered visibility, but I haven't tried them
all.

I look forward to reading feedback from others.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com