Spinning Horizon

Old December 24th 03, 05:58 PM
Mike Adams

Default Spinning Horizon

Here's a weird one I'd never heard of before but maybe one of you guys can
explain. I installed a new attitude indicator last week and went out for a
test flight yesterday. It's just a plain vanilla R C Allen vacuum AI. Well,
it worked great on the flight - erected quickly, and nice and stable in
flight. But then when I shut down, and the gyro was spinning down, the
horizon started spinning, fairly rapidly - maybe one revolution per second.
Then of course it eventually stopped as the gyro spun down.

So, has anyone ever heard of this? is it indicative of a problem? It's a
factory overhauled unit that I can pull out and take back to the shop if
necessary, or I can learn to live with it if it's harmless.

Thanks, and happy holidays all,

Mike
Old December 24th 03, 07:46 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Mike Adams wrote:

: So, has anyone ever heard of this? is it indicative of a problem? It's a
: factory overhauled unit that I can pull out and take back to the shop if
: necessary, or I can learn to live with it if it's harmless.

I also have an RC Allen gyro horizon. It does not do this.

My old gyro horizon did this on spin-down, more and more as it wore out.
Eventually it did it all the time. It was an Edo-Aire. I believe it
is indicative of bad bearings in the gyro mechanism. Does the gyro make a lot
of noise as it spins down, or can you feel vibration with your fingers
on the front glass? My worn-out gyro did both of these in an increasing
amount each flight.

--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old December 24th 03, 08:06 PM
Mike Adams

Not really. It was quite smooth and the spin down took quite awhile. I did
notice a slight tapping or clicking noise with each revolution of the
horizon.

Mike

Aaron Coolidge wrote

Old December 24th 03, 09:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Mike Adams wrote:

So, has anyone ever heard of this? is it indicative of a problem?

I also have an RC Allen AI. It does not do this.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 24th 03, 11:05 PM
Stu Gotts

Mike;
Don't get upset about this, just send it back! If you don't you'll be
kicking yourself in the ass when it goes tits up the day after the
warranty expires.

Old December 25th 03, 01:37 AM
Doug

My RC Allen AI did that when it was new also. It has lasted another
1000 hours! I called the guy who supplied it, he said go ahead and use
it till warranty expiration is near, then if it still does it, send it
back. It has stopped doing this. It also, very occasionally did
another weird thing. It would erect upsidedown! Then spend about a 45
minutes gradually righting itself. This is no BS, really did that,
three times at least. If it had been an IFR trip, I couldn't have
taken off. As it was, I just flew and watched in amusement. Gyros are
weird sometimes.

Old December 25th 03, 06:07 AM
Roger Halstead

On 24 Dec 2003 17:37:10 -0800, (Doug)
wrote:

My RC Allen AI did that when it was new also. It has lasted another
1000 hours! I called the guy who supplied it, he said go ahead and use
it till warranty expiration is near, then if it still does it, send it
back. It has stopped doing this. It also, very occasionally did
another weird thing. It would erect upsidedown! Then spend about a 45
minutes gradually righting itself. This is no BS, really did that,
three times at least. If it had been an IFR trip, I couldn't have
taken off. As it was, I just flew and watched in amusement. Gyros are
weird sometimes.

Mine doesn't spin, but will sometimes wobble for a minute or two if
the plane is really cold inside. I need to put a heater under the
panel to go with the tanis on the engine.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old December 26th 03, 01:35 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Nathan Young wrote:

Reading through the lines of the reps statement... The rep is saying
there is something wrong with a gyro that exhibts this behavior, ie
return it if it still exhibiting this behavior near the warranty
expire date.

No, the rep is saying "This is normal behavior for a new or rebuilt unit, but it
shouldn't keep doing this for very long."