Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions

Old March 22nd 04, 04:25 AM
MRQB

Default Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions

The airplane I just bought gave me a nice little surprise went out to do my
pre flight and noticed that my right rudder cable had some slop in it I did
not feel comfortable flying it with the lack of tension on it so the
mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow. Also what holds tension on the
rudder cables? I know the cost of a new cable is only $80.00 + labor. Is
there any source on the net ware I can find out how the cable system works
on a later model Cessna 150M kinda curious and would like to know my
airplane inside and out. Ware do I find me a factory service manual? I want
to learn every thing about this little 150.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:46 AM
C J Campbell

"MRQB" wrote in message
The airplane I just bought gave me a nice little surprise went out to do

my
pre flight and noticed that my right rudder cable had some slop in it I

did
not feel comfortable flying it with the lack of tension on it so the
mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow. Also what holds tension on the
rudder cables? I know the cost of a new cable is only $80.00 + labor. Is
there any source on the net ware I can find out how the cable system works
on a later model Cessna 150M kinda curious and would like to know my
airplane inside and out. Ware do I find me a factory service manual? I

want
to learn every thing about this little 150.

You can get a factory service manual from www.esscoaircraft.com. It will
cost you about $40, but it is well worth it. Every aircraft owner should
keep a copy of the maintenance manual.

Maintenance manuals for newer aircraft are a lot more expensive.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:20 AM
BTIZ

was the nosewheel turned to the right from when you parked it? allowing the
right cable to "appear slack"?

just a thought..

BT

Old March 22nd 04, 06:42 AM
Dave Katz

"C J Campbell" writes:

Maintenance manuals for newer aircraft are a lot more expensive.

I got a printed manual for free with my SR20, and a CD-ROM version for free
(arguably preferable for my purposes) when I upgraded to an SR22.
Old March 22nd 04, 07:41 AM
Blanche

Dave Katz wrote:
"C J Campbell" writes:

Maintenance manuals for newer aircraft are a lot more expensive.

I got a printed manual for free with my SR20, and a CD-ROM version for free
(arguably preferable for my purposes) when I upgraded to an SR22.

For the cost of a Cirrus, you *should* get all the books and stuff
for free!!!
Old March 22nd 04, 02:53 PM
MRQB

I will go and check that before it goes in to the mechanic but I am still
going to have the cables checked out I may just have both cables replaced
anyway so that I know what is in there cables are scary to me I already have
a screw in my wrist because of a faulty cable on a Motorcycle.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:31 PM
Dale

In article ,
"MRQB" wrote:

Also what holds tension on the rudder cables?

A spring. Those springs sometimes break. If the spring is broken the
pedal will be "loose"...no resistance. When you move the pedals on the
ground the resistance you feel is from the springs.

Control cables are low cost but the labor is going to be rather high.
It's a lot of work replacing control cables.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old March 22nd 04, 05:34 PM
Dale

In article ,
"MRQB" wrote:

I will go and check that before it goes in to the mechanic but I am still
going to have the cables checked out I may just have both cables replaced
anyway so that I know what is in there cables are scary to me I already have
a screw in my wrist because of a faulty cable on a Motorcycle.

Pull the rear bulkhead out behind the baggage area. You'll be able to
see down the fuselage to the tail and can check the rudder and elevator
cables (as well as your ELT). If you decide to crawl back in the
fuselage be sure to support the tail before you do. (The wife will never
do THAT again G).

You can also pull the carpets out and remove the inspection panels in
the floor exposing some of the control cables/pulleys/etc. You'll need
a light and a mirror...and the maintenance manual would be a good idea
so you have a "map" of where everything is.

Old March 22nd 04, 11:11 PM
One's Too Many

"MRQB" wrote in message ...
The airplane I just bought gave me a nice little surprise went out to do my
pre flight and noticed that my right rudder cable had some slop in it I did
not feel comfortable flying it with the lack of tension on it so the
mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow. Also what holds tension on the
rudder cables? I know the cost of a new cable is only $80.00 + labor. Is
there any source on the net ware I can find out how the cable system works
on a later model Cessna 150M kinda curious and would like to know my
airplane inside and out. Ware do I find me a factory service manual? I want
to learn every thing about this little 150.

Every 150 I ever flew seems to have a lot of "slop" in the rudder
cables when sitting on the ground. It's usually due to the way the
nosewheel steering is spring-linked to the rudder controls, and the
nosewheel not being centered when the plane was parked. Twist the
nosewheel so it's pointing straight ahead and see if your "slop"
disappears. Even our 172 does this, but the phenominon doesn't seem so
pronounced as on the 150.
Old March 23rd 04, 02:04 AM
MRQB

Went in to the mechanic this morning it was not any thing major no parts
needed he just took some slack out of the cable's and made sure it was
strait. boy can I feel a difference in the rudder peddles nice and firm no
major slop. Every thing is all bolted, pined and safety wired back together
& working great. We even go the ARC RT-308 radio to come out.

"One's Too Many" wrote in message
om...