ELT Mounting for an ASW20-C

Old January 18th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ELT Mounting for an ASW20-C

Hi,

I offered to help out a friend. He wants to install a 121.5mhz TSO'd
ELT in his 20C. Looking for successful solutions for this specific
ship in terms of:

- Location
- Make and model of ELT

Not interest in a debate on the merits of PLBs, 406MHZ or whether the
PW5 is in fact a sign of the coming Apocalypse.

Rgds

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Old January 18th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just helped a friend install one in his ASW-20B.

On the right side of the fuselage just below where the pushrods enter,
there's a plywood shelf. An ACK (don't recall the model, but this one
runs on 8 D cells) fits just fine. Routing the cable for the remote
control panel is the most difficult part of the installation.

Antenna is installed (without ground plane) by drilling a hole in the
right forward part of the baggage shelf and arcs around the inside of
the fuselage.

I'll try to get some pictures of this and an ASW-19 we did last weekend
and post them on my website next weekend.

-Tom

Old January 18th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'll send you some images of how I installed one in an ASW20C last
year.ACK-E01 mounted below mixer on the fixture originally intended by
Schleicher for a capacity bottle......reinforced .made a very tidy
installation.though a real b-----h to install.....
you'll like the installation.....
I'd be happy to send these same images to anyone who has a 20 and would like
to see how it was done
Best Regards
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at:
www.wingsandwheels.com

ups.com...

Old January 19th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Strongly suggest you follow Tims lead on this.
The obvious place is on the horizontal bulkhead below the push rods
UNTIL you look at the motion of the pushrods which is not straight
line. Only a small ELT will fit there.
Learned the hard way.
UH

Old January 21st 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Erik,
No recommendation is implied but the ELT Tom mentioned is an ACK EO-1,
dim. 7.75x2.75x2.75 inches with a little careful prep.; it fits well on
my 1985 20B and was use on Toms old ASW20B as well but you must set it
aft & clear of the spoiler rod/arm! The Flap and Aileron control
pushrods run over the top of this model installed ELT with some room to
spare. As UH mentioned only a small ELT will fit in this location, I
don't know if the height of the shelf varies slightly from ship to ship
and or model to model, but it may so beware. The ELT mounting location
Tim mentions, UH recommends and was used on one of our BFSS club
members ASW19s is well out of harms way.
Best regards,
Rick Culbertson - 21

Old January 21st 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks to everyone. Looks like the results are pretty much unanimous.

Okay - now the fun begins... :-))

Old January 21st 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old January 25th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Finally got the photos taken and uploaded online:
http://www.ash26e.com/scgi-bin/gallery/album02

First one is the installation in Rick's ASW-20B and the rest are the
ASW-19.

-Tom

Old January 25th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom,

Thanks. Really slick (especially the one mounted in the capacity
slot). Really like the idea of using the mounting doubler as the
ground plane. The only downside is that I'm now ashamed of the setup
in my LS8, so there's ANOTHER project for the last month or so before
flying starts up again :-))

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Old January 25th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

5Z wrote:

Finally got the photos taken and uploaded online:
http://www.ash26e.com/scgi-bin/gallery/album02

First one is the installation in Rick's ASW-20B and the rest are the
ASW-19.

Tom, did you measure the SWR of the ASW 19 antenna installation? 3 or
less would be optimum. The ground plane looks quite small, but it would
be easy to rivet on another piece of thin aluminum to increase it around
the antenna mounting. Radial wires could be used, also, but might be
harder to restrain. Still, a clean installation.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

C150 Wheel Fairing mounting plates Robert Zrim Owning 17 June 16th 05 07:37 AM
ASW20 liftup panel mod ,do you want one goneill Soaring 2 September 8th 04 09:05 PM
Skymap IIIC Mounting Options NW_PILOT Owning 15 July 8th 04 01:41 PM
ASW20 owners Andrew Henderson Soaring 0 April 10th 04 12:28 PM
ASW20 tail tank mod goneill Soaring 4 February 21st 04 06:16 PM